SBC WMU, Mormons and the Coming PR Disaster with Hispanics

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

SBC WMU, Mormons and the Coming PR Disaster with Hispanics

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Below is a quote I just left at Religion Dispatches re Mitt and Immigration Reform

http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispa ... mormonism/

I think the Mormon church is about to face a PR disaster in Latin and South America as Mitt Romney dances around his association with Kris Kobach.
Kobach was central to a key segment on NPR Morning Edition easily googled yesterday.
A consensus is building in the among Goodwill Christians that Romney is something of a polished over George Wallace when it comes to his statements on Immigration, particularly his association with Kobach.
See the easily googled Self Deportation article in Mother Jones.
Great comment yesterday on the Diane Rehm show about the hypocrisy of Romney's position.
There is a consensus world wide of the legacy of Martin King; and Romney is outside that consensus.
To the degree Harold Bloom was right about Mormons and fundamentalists Southern Baptists, The SBC Women's Missionary Alliance whose national headquarters is in Birmingham, Alabama faces as great a missions PR disaster as Romney and Kobach
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

WMU and the NPR Diane Rehm show

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:26 pm

Here is a note I just left in the comment line of the April 24 www.drshow.org on Immigration. Read the transcript there, especially the last 15 minutes of the show

I hope the staff of the DrShow has continued to read the comments as they come in.
On the day of this program there was a picture in the Ft. Payne Alabama Times Journal (times-journal.com) of Southern Baptist Deacon Governor Bentley and about 40 3rd and 4th graders from Crossville, Alabama almost all Mexicans.
The Governor is a warm and kind figure towering over them all.
Not only coincides with your program and the panelists comments about hypocrisy and the need for triangulation, but also the weekend of the rollout of United Methodist Bishop Will Willimon, the former Chaplain at Duke and his Jeremiad book, The Bishop; about his 8 year stay in the State.
This last year he has been outspoken with the ecumenical Christian leaders here on immigration, while the Southern Baptists with the exception of one panel at Baptist school Samford, in Bham, have been struck mute.
The national Headquarters of the Women's Missionary Union of the SBC is in Bham. They may face the same stunned apprehension of Latin and South America; like Mormon missionaries in the coming decades as evangelical aspirations from white Baptists and Mormons call for explanation.
Kris Kobach is as close to Mitt Romney, as in Alabama he is to Baptist fundamentalists Mrs. Albert Lee Smith and State Senator Beason.
Let the history as it is being developed be clear about this matter.
I hope you have Bishop Willimon as guest on your program this mid September to early October.

Stephen Fox

Rome and Marietta, Ga

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:35 pm

http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/102 ... t-election

Ed Kilgore knows NW Georgia of Jerry Vines and Nelson Price. He remembers the Birch Society influence of not long ago, and unlike Nelson Price, knows the implications of Leo Frank for the mindset that helped shape Jerry Vines

Stephen Fox

Hypocrisy and a three dimensional response

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:25 pm

From April 24 drshow.org

JACOBY10:50:06I mean, the point about immigration is that the laws have been so unrealistic in relation to our labor needs. So we -- people -- farmers need people to pick the lettuce. Americans are getting more and more educated. They don't want to pick lettuce any more. Hotels, seasonal resorts in towns where there are no Americans can't find enough Americans even in the downturn to do the work. And certainly, during the boom and even now, to a degree, in the downturn, we -- immigrants are a critical part of our economy. JACOBY10:50:34But our laws have not admitted enough to supply a legal supply, and that's why there have been two signs of the border: one that says keep out and one that says help wanted. That's the hypocrisy that we -- after 30 years of that hypocrisy, that's why we have 11 million people in the country that we don't know what to do about. And that's why enforcement alone and driving them out is not going to be the answer. JACOBY10:50:56We're still going to need to deal with the 11 million people who are -- at least 10 million people, or even 9 million people after a lot of them go home, who don't go home and who are left here and the products of that hypocrisy that we have to face up to. And when the economy picks up, we're going to have a continuing labor need. That's why just deporting them or encouraging them to self-deport is not the answer. JACOBY10:51:15There needs to be a more robust answer, three-dimensional answer. Whether it comes from Congress or the states, we need a three-dimensional answer instead of the one-dimensional answer of the Arizona law.

Stephen Fox

WMU and Parham's Poll

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:29 pm

Stephen Fox

Black Mormons

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue May 22, 2012 6:49 pm

Stephen Fox

Re: SBC WMU, Mormons and the Coming PR Disaster with Hispanics

Postby Mrs Haruo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:17 pm

Very hard hitting article FOX---- I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone who is of color would want to join the LDS church, given the history of racial discrimination and paternalistic attitudes toward other cultures I have seen from my own relatives in the LDS church, but they DO truly respect other's right to disagree. However, as I have a personal bias against anyone who has never served in the Military having access to the "Red hot button" that sends my children and my children's children to war, I have even less regard for someone o has not been a blue collar laborer and known what it is like to wonder where and how you will feed your children next week--- and not just which restaurant you will pick at the next luxury resort. :brick:
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:33 pm

Mrs Haruo wrote:Very hard hitting article FOX---- I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone who is of color would want to join the LDS church, given the history of racial discrimination and paternalistic attitudes toward other cultures I have seen from my own relatives in the LDS church, but they DO truly respect other's right to disagree. However, as I have a personal bias against anyone who has never served in the Military having access to the "Red hot button" that sends my children and my children's children to war, I have even less regard for someone o has not been a blue collar laborer and known what it is like to wonder where and how you will feed your children next week--- and not just which restaurant you will pick at the next luxury resort. :brick:

Ed: I don't know Mrs H. despite some early misgivings I think JFK turned out to be a good President despite his fathers Money. And While I also have some misgivings about my sons and grandsons serving under a Commander & Chief who has no military back ground, it does look like that will be the case again in 2012-16.
Ed Pettibone

Bama Immigration and Kobach

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:46 pm

Gov Bentley is coming to NE Alabama, Ft. Payne, this coming weekend to keynote a Tea Party Ralley.

I did introduce thearticle about Blacks and the Mormons but I hope to turn this thread back to WMU and Immigration reform and Kris Kobach

Stephen Fox

Postby Mrs Haruo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:00 am

JFK showed his strength of character in the US NAVY during WWII. Since God has not been running for President, I don't expect to ever see a perfect candidate for public office, but there sure have been some that make me want to curl up in my old sleeping bag and just sleep till the election is over. I'm not thrilled with everything Obama has done, but he and Michelle seem to be fine parents of pleasant bright girls and genuinely doing the best they know how at an impossible job. I can't fault them for that.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:06 am

Mrs Haruo wrote:JFK showed his strength of character in the US NAVY during WWII. Since God has not been running for President, I don't expect to ever see a perfect candidate for public office, but there sure have been some that make me want to curl up in my old sleeping bag and just sleep till the election is over. I'm not thrilled with everything Obama has done, but he and Michelle seem to be fine parents of pleasant bright girls and genuinely doing the best they know how at an impossible job. I can't fault them for that.

Ed: Perhaps I should have been more clear. My initial misgivings about JFK where his religion and his wealth. I am also reasonably aware of his PT 109 exploits.

I think both of the current candidates are very much out of touch with the daily lives of the "average" American, let alone the poor.
Ed Pettibone

Joining a Pulitzer's lament

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:18 pm

Below is a comment Isubmitted to Pulitzer Prize Winner McWhorter's Sunday column for the NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/17/opini ... ma.html?hp

My guest column on this matter was in the Ft. Payne Alabama Times-journal last Saturday, the day Governor Bentley was in town to speak to the Tea Party Ralley in a park commemorating a stockade for the Trail of Tears.. I talked about the UMC Bishop Willimon endorsed documentary by ethicsdaily and the failure of Baptists in the state to engage the documentary in conversation. I also mentioned a strong but civil conversation with Bama Sr. Senator Shelby a few months ago at a Town Hall Meeting. I asked him if he had a conversation with Coach Nick Saban's wife about the Bama immigration bill; Mrs. Saban a devout Catholic.
Ms. McWhorter is sharp to mention Bama Football. Howell Raines wrote about Coach Bryant's relationship to George Wallace in an 83 New Republic Piece Farewell To the Bear. Maybe Time for Mrs. Saban to talk to Gov Bentley about immigration. Hopefully Bishop Willimon will accompany her to the conversation.
But things don't look good for Bama. Just Tuesday the top leadership of Bama Public TV was dismissed for failure to kowtow to GOP right wing Christian and air a David Barton documentary. It's as if Hugo Black and Judge Frank Johnson never foot in the state]

Stephen Fox

Romney and Kobach Redux

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:25 pm

http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispa ... 84/romney_“walks_the_line”_on_immigration/?comments=view&cID=28769#c28769

Stephen Fox

Intense conversation, stellar panel on NPR

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Stephen Fox

Parham on SCOTUS Decision

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:50 am

I posted this link on the Collinsville, PTO facebook page. Mentioned my easily googled guest column in the June 9 http://www.times-journal.com ; The day Gov Bentley was to be in town for a Tea Party Ralley.

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/court-ruling ... -cms-19737

Bham's Kyle Whitmire contributes to this report in the NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/27/us/im ... wanted=all

Stephen Fox

My friend Phil Hernandez

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:47 pm

From the June 22 www.times-journal.com article on Prez Obama's recent immigration declaration.
I have known Phil since he was five. Many of his brothers and sisters have been on mission trips with Collinsville Baptist youth, two sisters to Disneyworld in late 90's, and one to Charleston around 2001.
His oldest brother was one of the first Hispanics to graduate from CHS, and the brother with a Hispanic team pitched against a Braves Farm Team about ten years ago. Ga Tech was looking at Phil a few years ago as a field goal and 3 point kicker. Samford hopefully will take a close look at his standout Brother in football and soccer.
His sister Juliana is one of the best students to come through Collinsville in the last ten years, a nurse now in Rome, Georgia.
I have posted this quote on the Collinsville PTO facebook page and will try to bring it to the attention of Gov Bentley whose longtime friend from FBC Tuscaloosa and now in Montgomery, Mary Sue Bennett, answers the phone for the office of Rick Lance at the State Board of Missions.

Phil Hernandez

Phil Hernandez was brought to the U.S. when he was 5 and says the United States is the only home he’s ever known.

“I was born in Mexico, but the United States is home,” Hernandez said. “If I had to go to Mexico, I wouldn’t be familiar with the country. I don’t know anything about it.”

Now 22, Hernandez is working to gain status as a legal U.S. citizen.

He graduated from Collinsville High School, where he excelled at basketball, football and soccer.

He has one semester left at Northeast Alabama Community College, where he is majoring in Spanish education.

He said he plans to finish school, but has previously been concerned, as many of his friends have, about being able to find work once he graduates.

“A lot of my friends have stopped or haven’t gone because they know when they graduate, they wouldn’t be able to find a job,” Hernandez said. “There are a lot of Hispanics I know who finished top of their class, but they know they wouldn’t be able to further their education because of their status. To them, it’s a waste of time.”

He said his hope for a better future was restored on June 15, 2012.

“I’m very happy about this,” Hernandez said. “I thank God this was passed. It gives hope for all the Latinos. It will give us some opportunity. It gives hope to young people, who want to work, go to school and better their lives.”

Hernandez said he hopes others, who don’t agree with Obama’s decision, will give it a chance.

“If we could get the government to see that we are not bad people, and we are here to better ourselves and live the American dream, if we could get the opportunity to prove it, they won’t regret it,” Hernandez said. “’Si Se Puede!’ That means ‘Yes, we can do it!’”

Stephen Fox

My friend Phil Hernandez

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:47 pm

From the June 22 www.times-journal.com article on Prez Obama's recent immigration declaration.
I have known Phil since he was five. Many of his brothers and sisters have been on mission trips with Collinsville Baptist youth, two sisters to Disneyworld in late 90's, and one to Charleston around 2001.
His oldest brother was one of the first Hispanics to graduate from CHS, and the brother with a Hispanic team pitched against a Braves Farm Team about ten years ago. Ga Tech was looking at Phil a few years ago as a field goal and 3 point kicker. Samford hopefully will take a close look at his standout Brother in football and soccer.
His sister Juliana is one of the best students to come through Collinsville in the last ten years, a nurse now in Rome, Georgia.
I have posted this quote on the Collinsville PTO facebook page and will try to bring it to the attention of Gov Bentley whose longtime friend from FBC Tuscaloosa and now in Montgomery, Mary Sue Bennett, answers the phone for the office of Rick Lance at the State Board of Missions.

Phil Hernandez

Phil Hernandez was brought to the U.S. when he was 5 and says the United States is the only home he’s ever known.

“I was born in Mexico, but the United States is home,” Hernandez said. “If I had to go to Mexico, I wouldn’t be familiar with the country. I don’t know anything about it.”

Now 22, Hernandez is working to gain status as a legal U.S. citizen.

He graduated from Collinsville High School, where he excelled at basketball, football and soccer.

He has one semester left at Northeast Alabama Community College, where he is majoring in Spanish education.

He said he plans to finish school, but has previously been concerned, as many of his friends have, about being able to find work once he graduates.

“A lot of my friends have stopped or haven’t gone because they know when they graduate, they wouldn’t be able to find a job,” Hernandez said. “There are a lot of Hispanics I know who finished top of their class, but they know they wouldn’t be able to further their education because of their status. To them, it’s a waste of time.”

He said his hope for a better future was restored on June 15, 2012.

“I’m very happy about this,” Hernandez said. “I thank God this was passed. It gives hope for all the Latinos. It will give us some opportunity. It gives hope to young people, who want to work, go to school and better their lives.”

Hernandez said he hopes others, who don’t agree with Obama’s decision, will give it a chance.

“If we could get the government to see that we are not bad people, and we are here to better ourselves and live the American dream, if we could get the opportunity to prove it, they won’t regret it,” Hernandez said. “’Si Se Puede!’ That means ‘Yes, we can do it!’”

Stephen Fox

AZ Mormons differ with Romney and Kobach; NPR

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:54 am

Stephen Fox

Fl Senator Rubio On Npr

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:50 am

This morning. www.drshow.org

I submitted this comment:

the sanguine warm milk spin of Rubio. The leader of the Dekalb County Tea Party, Mary Anne Cole is hardwired to Eunie Smith of the Eagle Forum. Eunie's Husband Albert Lee was a Bircher and leader in the fundamentalist takeover of the Southern Baptist Convention.
It was Eunie by published accounts who introduced St. Senator Beason to Kris Kobach. Kobach wrote the Bama law. Kobach also toured the S.C. Primary with Mitt Romney.
So Rubio has some explainin to do about the Bama chapter of the Tea Party when it comes to Immigration reform.
Hope DRShow will have as guest soon the author of the April Mother Jones 8 page feature on Bama Immigration Bill "Self Deportation"; a piece I recommended to Senator Shelby at a Town Hall hoping he will discuss it with Bama Coach Nick Saban's wife, a devout Catholic.
With outgoing Bama UMC Bishop Willimon the former Chaplain at Duke, maybe we can have a more honest conversation about the Tea Party and Immigration than the benign version of Rubio this morning.]

Stephen Fox

Return to SBC News and Trends