[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Why Land likely did what he did

Why Land likely did what he did

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Why Land likely did what he did

Postby BTeditor » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:19 pm

A trusted mutual friend who has known Richard Land for a very long time insists the Southern Baptist ethics and politics spokesman has supported racial equality and justice with consistency for many years. I believe him.

The problems Land has created for himself and Southern Baptists recently — through a borrowed-without-attribution radio rant about “race hustlers” and the Trayvon Martin case — are not rooted in old-style racial prejudice. Rather they are tied to Land’s insatiable appetite for more and more attention. He seems to thrive on being a major political operative under the guise of being able to deliver millions of Southern Baptists to the candidates and causes that he personally blesses.

It is hard to know whether he shaped the leadership role of the once cutting-edge Southern Baptist Convention Christian Life Commission into an SBC ambassadorship to the Republican Party or the other way around. But Land can’t get enough public exposure or claim enough political power.

One knows he’s messed up when stories about the current controversy — such as in the L.A. Times — state he is unavailable for comment. Land is always available for comment.

In his own defense (of the “race hustling” fallout, not the plagiarism charges), Land notes his role in promoting the 1995 SBC resolution acknowledging a history of racism and apologizing for the role Southern Baptists have played in racial discrimination. While he did help carry the water for that effort, he claims more credit than he deserves.

Ironically, it was the more humble current SBC president who initiated that public apology. Bryant Wright became convicted about the racial division among pastors and churches while joining other Atlanta area ministers to prepare for the 1994 Billy Graham evangelism effort there.

Wright established a close friendship with African-American pastor Gerald Durley that led to a relationship between their two Baptist congregations. It also spurred Wright to seek the formal apology from Southern Baptists.

SBC President Jim Henry was asked about the resolution at a 1995 press conference I attended. As he pondered his response, Land stepped forward — between Henry and me — to accept the spotlight. There was no mention of Wright bringing the issue to the SBC. And, in typical fashion, Bryant has not taken the deserved credit when the current controversy brought the resolution to light again.

So my assessment is that Land did not get himself in this bind because of racial prejudice, but rather due to an overwhelming need for more and more attention. Both his unhelpful, politically charged comments about race and the fact that he plagiarized them are more likely the result of tossing all caution to the wind when given a big, open microphone and an audience.

Having the chance to play Rush was just too much of a rush for him to use good judgment.
BTeditor

Re: Why Land likely did what he did

Postby William Thornton » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:07 pm

The last few years, I got the impression that Land was part talk radio personality and part pundit. Like a lot of folks, he's been in DC too long.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:46 pm

:wink: Is someone walking around in an expensive suit and a freshly starched shirt wearing underwear that says "It's all about ME!" on it in big neon green letters?" :(
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:31 pm

Ed: BTeditor, I seldom disagree with you but I am am of the opinion that having read the other guys material R.L saw some stuff he would like to say and his carefully polished veneer developed a split through which the previously repressed venom oozed.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby BTeditor » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:43 pm

I'm certainly no defender of Land, and neither am I piling on here. Rather I'm seeking to provide some analysis of the situation. While I fully trust my friend's much longer and deeper personal experiences with Land, I don't doubt he had some venom to spew. However, I'll stick with the belief that his spewing mostly has to do with a consuming desire to be a major political player and a big-time radio host.
BTeditor

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby BTeditor » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:00 pm

Tim- He actually appears rather often on various news shows during the more heated political times (GOP debates, Romney v. Obama media spats, etc.). So he's gotten some broader exposure — esp in recent months.
His publicist sends me (and other media) messages a couple of times a week stating the upcoming TV/radio shows on which he'll appear.
His usefulness to the media has increased as he's become a more strident voice. Those pre-interviewing for news shows don't book calm, rational centrists.
BTeditor

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:01 pm

More than just on Fox news?
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:32 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby BTeditor » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:09 am

Actually, he's appeared on several networks over the last few months. But that seems to have stopped. Apparently something to do with a lowly blogger in Texas stirring up trouble for him.
BTeditor

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:43 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:46 pm

I think Land has always been striving for a higher place in the Republican party, or in some Republican presidential administration, but he's not a big enough fish to attract that kind of attention. He's attempted to capitalize on the ignorance of non-Baptist political conservatives about the SBC, making them think that he speaks for "16 million people in the nation's largest Protestant denomination." Most people don't realize that half of those people never show up for church, and only about two thirds of the rest are actually eligible to vote. If voter registration percentages among SBC church members ran just a bit higher than normal, that means that perhaps 4 million Southern Baptist adults are voters, and as many as 40% of them vote Democrat. A lot of the political pundits also don't realize that Land doesn't speak for any other Baptist, officially, and that's one of the finer points of SBC polity.

Land is a Republican political wannabe who will never be.
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:51 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Blake » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:27 pm

"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 pm

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:48 am

Ed: Aaron I am having some problem asking this question with out perhaps making it sound agenda driven but I am trying to understand your point.

But When you say "There's probably more Southern Baptist churches in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex than in all those states combined. I wouldn't expect experiences in those states to be necessarily representative of the Southern Baptist experience in the South."

The first part I have no doubt is true. But then Most of the folk I have known from Texas and Arkansas will tell you in a hurry they are not southerners, even if they are southern Baptist. They prefer South Westerner (in Texas they May well insist in being called Texans). This may not be as obvious in the Baylor family be cause of a lower percentage of native Texans than in the general population. I can not tell you a lot about Southern Baptist in most of the states on Blake's list but over a period of 14 years in which I was a member of 5 Different SBC Churches in Indiana, Due to job re- locations in one state agency. Those Church where in the North South and Central Part of the state. In the first of the Five I was among the founding members and and I was the only native born Hoosier, there was another fellow who had been in Fort Wayne when I was born but if you asked about his home state he would say Kentucky. Where did he want to be buried? Ans. Kentucky! It was pretty much the same in the other four. In 1991 When my project partner in a Church Planting Praxis and I were working in the SW sector of the METRO Indianapolis area we Lived in a house owned by one of the dozen or so SBC churches in Marion County. We visited the pastor and or staff of several of those and asked about the demographics of their membership. Again the vast majority where natives of some southern state and they had been raised Southern Baptist There where some few like my self who where native of Indiana but also like my self where married to some one raised in and probably born in the South We attended three of those churches on Sundays. And there was not a nickels worth of difference in them and the many churches that I had been a part of in Alabama Mississippi and Arkansas SC, Ga and KY & Fl. in politics overall. So I certainly would not expect the experience one would have in most SBC Churches in states named by Blake to be appreciably where near the Difference in then that you would at least in in Indiana I would be interested in any research supporting you observation. The time factor may played havoc with my own ideas on the subject. Since in the first half of my close acquaintance with the area it was almost solidly Democrat despite some times large pockets of of largely Lioncolnese Republicans. And I confess I have little idea of the geographic distribution of Tea Party followers.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:30 am

How about this for nuance, Ed: The experience of Southern Baptists in Indiana is probably more "typical" compared to the experience of Southern Baptists in the "South" (which Texas is in, even if their identity is Texan first) than that of Southern Baptists in Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota.

The point is that the relationship between culture and politics, religion and politics among Southern Baptists in the South (where the overwhelming majority still reside) is different than that Southern Baptists residing in "pioneer" states.

There are still Democrats in Southern Baptist churches. They might not vote for Obama. But they are more like Zig Zag Zell Miller. There are still some Democrats in SBC pews who support Democratic candidates for state-wide, local, and even Congressional offices to the tune of a percentage much higher than 5% but a handful of points less than 40%, IMO.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:16 am

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:44 am

The ERLC wasn't created to represent the "majority" political opinion of Southern Baptists, nor to help them determine for whom they would vote. It is to represent the interests of Baptists with regard to issues of religious liberty and Christian ethics. Land has made it a personal political launching pad and a place to influence votes, but I doubt very seriously whether one in a hundred Southern Baptists would recognize the name, and even if they did, would pay attention to what he has to say.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:24 am

Ed Pettibone

Can anybody Say Karl Rove and Texas Oil Interests

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:16 pm

And or Dwight McKissic?

http://www.abpnews.com/content/view/7324/53/

But Dwight and Rove are two different avenues to bring down the house of Rove and Pressler and Land.

Then there is Russ Moore, who some within the Fundy camp say is grooming himself to be Land's Successor; now maybe sooner than later.

Will come back to this later; but John Pierce opens up interesting take on the matter with his invocations of Jim Henry and Bryant Wright. From Henry it's not too far to his daughter Kate Campbell, and from Kate to Charles Marsh whose upcoming bio of Bonhoeffer is already being explored by Bama UMC Bishop Willimon in his exit from the Cradle of the Confederacy and the Civil Rights Movement.

Point being this Land fiasco as I've asserted in Baptist history thread opens up whole opportunity for some Truth telling history among the fundies about their race history and how it has evolved with Land as his closest and dearest conversations one can assert have always been with Karl Rove and other legacies of Harry Dent.
But I want to be careful with Dent, cause that is loaded and has its own inflections. FTRecord I continue to enjoy an interesting and hopefully continuing email conversation with Dent's daughter, Ginny Brant and have come to respect her, though I disagree.
With her friends Bryant Wright, and Wake Forest Prez Nathan Hatch; lot of room to get to various and sundry bottoms of this can Richard Land has opened for us to find major veins of yet definitive Baptist history and influence and political jockeying.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:50 pm

Ed: Steve with this you ruined my day with that, "Then there is Russ Moore, who some within the Fundy camp say is grooming himself to be Land's Successor; now maybe sooner than later." :roll: But I am sure Russ looks at Al and thinks, "Gee, he will probably be around even when I get to upper middle age".
Ed Pettibone

Weaver rises

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:02 pm

In Addition to Huffington Post he has the attention of religion dispatches. Time for Bryant Wright and Marsh and Kate Campbell to set down for the truth telling session on the strange career of Richard Land.
Add Curtis Freeman to morph this with Criswell and the 56 SC Pastor's Conference; and Randall Balmer has also had Land's number for some time.

http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispa ... dented%22/

Ed: Russ Moore needs to come clean not only with my friend Vicki Covington, the novelist who Russ maligned when he spoke to Bama Fundies in late 90's; but also with the Gushee and Carey Newman comments about the Mohler Covenant in Uneasy in Babylon!
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby BTeditor » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:58 pm

BTeditor

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends