NAMB in Dilemma with State Conventions

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: NAMB in Dilemma with State Conventions

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:13 pm

Gene Scarborough wrote:I think people pick and choose what to attend and honor.

Some simply want to be left alone and with their family. Others have seen something which turned them off from organized religion. No one is drawn to a mess of fussing and fighting among the members.

I share your view of mega churches as theatrical and entertaining while costing much to build and maintain. The fall of the Chrystal Cathedral is a first indicator that their time can be limited. The Robert Schuler personality could not be replicated by his children anymore than Franklin Graham is taking his father's place.

I think much of the religious scene has more to do with the wants and desires of the individual. Just because they don't do what we think is necessary in no way "proves" they are "lost." For me, the "joy of salvation" is a key to real relationship to God.

How many angry and unhappy people do we know frequenting our own church buildings going through their penance :?

Ed: Gene I am not sure you quite share my view of Mega Churches. There are mega churches and there are mega Curches and then there a Mega Megas. Some center on entertainment, yet some center on worship of the creator GOD. Rex Humbard's Cathedral of Tomorrow had reached its Zenith and had nearly faded in oblivion By the time Schuler founded the Chrystal Cathredral Bill Hybles founder of the Willow Creek system learned from some of the early mega's decline and built a cadre of folk he could trust around him Like wise Thomas road built bey Jerry Falwell is still going strong. And dear reader do not take this as an endorsement by me as any sort of endorsement of any mentioned here. My opinion of the a fore mentioned is a mixed bag. Just as is the religious "scene". Churches Large or small deserve to be viewed individually.

I do have great joy of my salvation and praise God for having provided the means for it. However I consider obedience the real Key to my relationship with The Creator seen by us as Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I can track and have traced the reality of that in my own life.

God created for his own pleasure. Pleasing God must be our point of focus, pleasing man is secondary.

When you ask How many angry and unhappy people do we know frequenting our own church buildings going through their penance? "

I do not know what you mean by "going through their penance"
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:25 pm

Too many equate attendence with salvation and then become a slave to their obsession.

Big is anoher assumption that it equals success and real worship.

Satan has a way of turning most any good thing into a diversion from real fellowship with God and one another :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:03 pm

Ed: Gene I still do not know what you mean by "going through their penance" in you post 7:46 this morning.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:14 am

Penance is proving your faith and doing some act to offset your sin.

If your attendance at formal worship is done as proof of faith, it becomes a penance more than part of the joy of salvation.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:32 am

Gene Scarborough wrote:Penance is proving your faith and doing some act to offset your sin.

If your attendance at formal worship is done as proof of faith, it becomes a penance more than part of the joy of salvation.

ED: And what if one attends and worships primarily in honor of God's command to forsake not the assembly of your selves together, with no particular thought of personal joy? Or even in sadness?
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:46 am

It is what it should be!!!! :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends