[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - FBCJax and FBCJax Watchdog settle

FBCJax and FBCJax Watchdog settle

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

FBCJax and FBCJax Watchdog settle

Postby William Thornton » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:53 pm

It's hard to believe that it has been five years since I was first made aware of the anti-pastor blog that went by the name FBCJax Watchdog. Lots of folks have gripes about their church or the new pastor of their church but that was about the first time I recall seeing the opposition be in the form of a blog.

It became a case study, probably the best case study, of how a pastor and church should not try and handle criticism. Mac Brunson and FBCJax were totally and completely inept in addressing the blog. Lawsuits, depositions, and finally a settlement.

Tom Rich recently announced the settlement on his .

Wade Burleson, who knows something about being reviled as a blogger gives a pretty good of the whole sordid affair.

I think some of the lessons learned from this would be,

1. Folks in church should have an avenue for honest feedback, even if it is negative.
2. The church leadership cannot control the message, so they had better learn to handle it.
3. Pastors do dumb things.
4. If you want to play hardball you had better be familiar with the whole game.
5. You cannot recover some of what is squandered away with foolish actions. The damage is permanent.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: FBCJax and FBCJax Watchdog settle

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:51 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:44 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:58 am

Wade's post was pretty powerful, and I am glad comments were enabled.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:35 pm

When an apology is clearly in one's financial self-interest, it's kinda hard for me to view that apology as being sincere.

Brunson obviously apologized to avoid paying much more $$ in a settlement.

And it seems that Brunson thought he was in good shape until that judge recused himself. His attorney must have viewed that recusal as game, set and match. They sure did settle VERY quickly after that.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Haruo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:40 pm

I wonder how the friendship is going between the two judges.

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to SBC News and Trends