A few suggestions...

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

A few suggestions...

Postby William Thornton » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:09 am

I locked several old topics because someone has the habit of dragging them up by making a new comment, sometimes a year or more after the last one.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: A few suggestions...

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:35 pm

William Thornton wrote:I locked several old topics because someone has the habit of dragging them up by making a new comment, sometimes a year or more after the last one.

Ed: I believe William's arbitrary rules for Stephen, should be rescinded or added to the posted rules for all. It may be a good idea for the moderators to lock any post that has not had activity for 90 days or some other posted time frame. BTW I see William has locked a thread in which just yesterday I replied to a post by Stephen.
Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, Ed. I think I will PM Stephen instead.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:03 pm

I too was a bit nonplussed to see a thread where Ed was the most recent poster locked as part of this rather amazing tactic, William.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:47 pm

Haruo wrote:I too was a bit nonplussed to see a thread where Ed was the most recent poster locked as part of this rather amazing tactic, William.

You get nonplussed...I get flummoxed.

I can do some amazing things here guys...like unlock a locked topic.

My objection is to an old topic being dragged to the top over and over by the same person (seems more reasonable to start something new, especially since neither Fox's drag-to-the-top comment or Ed's response had anything to do with the topic save for geography) which is not to say that I didn't note Ed's insightful, witty, and brilliant comment.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:39 pm

;-)
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Insightful and witty

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:24 pm

Lot can be said for both traits; as well as a lot for keeping focus on a topic that is central to SBC these days.
One, in this election season the hardwiring in a megaplex of ways of the SBC to Hard Religious Right of the GOP
Two, the ongoing drama of Immigration in politics particularly in Alabama that has a weekly focus, sometimes daily on National Public Radio, most recently in stellar expose in Mother Jones Magazine

Three; Entanglement of the Allied Defense Fund to SBC Fundamentalist leadership and its competition for hearts and minds of people in the Pew against the more authentic Baptist witness of the Baptist Joint Committee.

In all due respect, to paraphrase Thornton's sister Georgia native Flannery Oconnor: The Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Scarborough and Fox

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:42 am

Moving my response to Scarborough of March 30 from the Immigration thread to this thread for future reference

Scarred burro: My name is spelled with a ph making it Stephen.
I don't need you to encourage my friend Thornton to stifle one of the most serious subjects in Alabama and Georgia Baptists life today.
The Berry program was significant for among many reasons

1)Cokie Roberts husband Steve has written a book about Immigration.
2) Sean McKenzie, a PHD from Fl State and son of David McKenzie a CBF pastor in the area and Berry Proff is one of the leading advocates for Dream Act in the State, and teaches in nearby Calhoun. He routinely makes posts at ethicsdaily.com and just last week was part of prophetic Baptists and others in the state to lobby and successfully keep the state legislature from kicking all suspect Hispanic immigrants out of the state's juco system.
3) Enormous number of folks--sadly they don't participate on this board--encourage my letter writing to the local papers, where you are obsesses with preaching to the choir.
4)Thornton is a good fellow. I trust the sensibility of himself in counsel with Gourley, Dave Roberts and other wiser more sanguine people than yourself to make judgment calls and see the value of the assertions I am making in regard immigration bills in the Southeast.
5)Nobody has appointed you to monitor anything at this site; and it will be a worse place if the do.
6)Thornton has set up a complaint, discussion thread here, so maybe you should take your response there and let this thread be available for those who want to engage the immigration conversation or the many folks who come by this thread here for links and updates on this most significant story before Baptists and the SBC majority in the nation and Southeast.
Otherwise have a nice day and I hope your Great Grandmother in Pickens County, S.C. continues to get the honor she deserves for her steadfastness during the Civil War
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to SBC News and Trends