[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Sign the Shorter petition

Sign the Shorter petition

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Couple points

Postby Neil Heath » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Thank you, Dr. Heath

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:27 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Sign the Shorter petition

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:33 pm

Look Stephen---

You can put out all the words and etherial posts you want, but it is obvious the best days at Shorter are ended!

If the Trustees had had the wisdom to separate themselves as did Wake Forest / Campbell / and virtually every other Baptist-related college in NC, it might have protected them.

Otherwise, Price et al have the upper hand and those looking for the old Shorter might as well look elsewhere.

What is it---possession is 90% of the law????
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Scarborough

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:46 pm

In that case, Gene my boy, spend your time molesting some other conversation on this board and have a nice day

Stephen Fox

Re: Couple points

Postby William Thornton » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:51 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:53 pm

I've started a general SBC takeover topic. How about putting all the SBC takeover stuff there and let Shorter be Shorter here?
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:21 am

Great idea!!!

What troubles me most is 1979 was a long time ago. Each side fought a big fight, but it did not change the course. CBF formed as an alternate. Bold MIssion Thrust instantly died.

Question: How many people and much giving to missions would we have if we dropped the whole thing and let it receed further into the past?

I suspect our joint giving to missions is much the same as it would have been had a split not happened. The SBC now deals with mega church leadership which has not given as did the old SBC leadership. Now they can either pay their way into the future of fail for promoting big expensive churches over joint cooperation.

The Shorter change is interesting, but it's just another tempest in a teapot showing we don't know how to get along.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Randall Lolley

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:36 pm

GScar:
I looped you in an email just today on aspects of this matter. There is something about you and your circle of friends that doesn't ring true in this Shorter Matter.
I would be surprised if our Friend Randall Lolley would be so easily dismissive as you and some of your folks around and Lumberton, N.C. seem to be on this matter that in its pocket of the world is of great importance to carry on, be a light in the legacy of Stewart Newman and George Truett.
Now my own Grandfather's name is being maligned and drug through the muck in that discussion by a known wine drinker.
But I digress.
Just today I came across an copy of Baps Today, then SBC Today; where Floyd Roebuck who long time pastored a gathering of Shorter proffs and administrators at FBC Rome (1988) decrying what the Ga fundies of Nelson Price stripe did to his great friends Lolley and Jack Harwell.
Lest we forget; but apparently you don't give a **** other than another opportunity to rant about what you think you learned in Pickens County and somehow got yourself to Emory
To what End?
Hot Air?

How worthless a waste of money on you

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Stephen---Be glad I only got your foul email and it didn't go to Rev. Thornton!

I think such might get your kicked o ff the blog once more.

Sorry I'm not jumping on the soap box in the same fashion you are. Some years ago Wake Forest and Campbell along with the Retirement Homes of NC saw this tight-fisted control coming and wisely distanced themselves from NC Baptists. Their Boards simply made provisions that they no longer take money from the Convention---since that amout was so small / elect their own Trustees / and move forward as they felt was wise.

It's too bad Shorter didn't do the same so it's too late now.

By Corporate Law that which is in their Charter rules. I suggest that, if you want to raise an issue, do it with the Secretary of State for Georgia----but you have to be a member of the Corporation to do such! Since you are a resident of Alabama, I don't think any complaint would hold much legal water. My heart goes out to them, but I now live in NC as well.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

I don't think

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:50 pm

an email provoked by a friend of yours who baited me with 20 provocations daily should be a matter for this board to consider.
The matter should be whether or not a person who glad hands Randall Lolley on one hand while discounting Shorter's dilemma in the online comments of the Rome News Tribune should be taken seriously.
Persistent clowning and minstrel shows sometimes have a pernicious outburst.

My soul is rested and forgiven.

Again tend to your own outrageous situation. If I need your advice, I know where you are

Otherwise have a blessed day

Stephen Fox

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:52 pm

Again, Gene, there are folks much closer to the Shorter Situation studying the matter who have some hope. Just because you got a way with an Emory degree doesn't mean you should be so Condescending and told you so in regard their distress.
If you have a remedy then fine. Otherwise find some other discussion to stalk and abuse

Stephen Fox

Kathryn Amos of Gainesville, Ga

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:47 pm

Sorry, Stephen, it just doesn't work that way.

I was a child supporter of Mercer Atlanta whose President was Russell Dilday some years back. He happened to be on my Ordination Counsel!

Mercer had the good sense to distance themselves from the GBSC years ago. Shorter, unfortunantly, did not.

It's not the first case of "we funded it and paid for it---you stole it!"

Too bad, so sad---they have played a slick game and their actions will be most difficult to undo---if not impossible!

I played hardball with the NCBSC as they changed things here. My formal complaint to the Secretary of State got their attention because they were doing corporate things without corporate consent and in direct conflict with their policy of Autonomy with their new Financial Policy which excluded a church near Charlotte ministering to homosexuals.

They "lawyered it out" by saying their Board of Trustees were incorporated, but the convention, itself, was not incorporated! Slick trick. They won, but I have now chosen NOT to support them financially along with a great number of churches clearly joining with the CBFNC over continuing to support a Convention taken over by hook and crook.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Reply to the Amos Letter of Gainsville, Ga

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:44 am

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:56 am

Remind the folks at Shorter that tornado was just a warning not to mess with God's creation and school there!!!! :roll:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Nelson Price guidelines

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:11 pm

October 2010 Baptists Today quotes a Christian Index story that said Shorter Trustee chair Nelson Price laid down the law for Shorter Search Committe that said next President of Shorter was not to be affiliated with a church that partnered with the CBF in any fashion; and the Prez should hold to the BFM newly revised; which aint the 63 version.
I think Shorter should be front and center in the current conversations between SBC and BWA. How could Mark Olson and Daniel Carro sweep Shorter under the rug in that conversation; especially in light of JPierce blog on Page and Wright sited in SBC Trends.

Stephen Fox

Nelson Price Exhibit A in The Anointed

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:50 pm

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:49 am

Stephen---

Your recent posts are beginning to sound almost identical with hate for Nelson Price at the core.

Could you tell us what was important to keep at Shorter which has been lost? :)

Junior colleges have served an important function in the past. They are similar to community colleges on the state level. Students who cannot afford nor pass the entrance requirements to larger and more prominent schools get a marvelous opportunity at a good education on the Junior College level. Although Shorter has become a 4-year school, it still is not the first choice of many wanting the credentials of a more prominent school.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Shorter, and Price guidelines

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:51 am

"An Active member of an SBC church not dually alligned with the CBF. A Subuscriber to the BFM, latest edition." That is the quote from the Ga Baptist CI guidelines of Nelson Price.

Gene, one day past the spirit of Christmas which I do not want to lose as had grand experience singing with three members of the Fox family and 100 other voices The Hallelujah chorus.
I know you are a man of many pursuites but if you reallycare about what is worth saving at Shorter and not just to have another point of contention with me; then you haven't been paying attention to the conversation.

Google the Rob Nash column, and the John Lanier letter at rn-t.com. The Rome NewsTribune online edition for the last two months has been on fire with an intense discussion from many alums and teachers at Shorter addressing your question

Stephen Fox

Index story on Price President Guidelines

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:24 pm

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:41 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Sandy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:42 am

Shorter moves in a direction to be more closely aligned with the Baptist convention that owns it, and emphasizes its Christian philosophy of education, resulting in an increase in the number of students, in financial contributions and support, and a tiny, disgruntled group of Baptists, and alumni, don't like it.

If you prefer a school that is just nominally Christian, having a form of Christianity-lite that it uses mainly as a marketing or fundraising tool, and generally operates under a more humanist philosophy of education, try one of those North Carolina schools that managed to declare independence from the state convention before the conservative majority took control of the state convention back.
Sandy

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:25 pm

Sandy---

Only one problem with your analysis of NC-----it's totally incorrect!

Our schools are thriving. Anyone wanting Oral Roberts / Bob Jones / Jerry Falwell / Pat Robertson is well within driving distance of them and the SEBTS College!!!

In NC we provide choices as do the schools of GA. Time will tell if the move is wise or foolish. Frankly, I view it as a good case of fundamentalist "kiss to glutimous maximus." :blech:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

How Timely can this be

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Furman product, former Berry Proff now at Emory shines glaring light on the inanity, the insanity of Nelson Price's ludicrous posturing for Berry.
Top Ten in Science and Faith for 2011 castrates Price and Dowles at every turn

http://www.religiondispatches.org/archi ... gion_wars/

I've been nearly shouting about Giberson and Stephens for a month now, routinely champion Rachel Held Evans and just today pointed out how Marion Aldridge of SC CBF endorsed her work in Christian Ethics Today

And the Number One Item I saw last night: Tree of Life

Stephen Fox

Two new comments

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:45 pm

have been added in the last couple hours online to the Kathryn Amos letter at www.rn-t.com

Stephen Fox

PreviousNext

Return to SBC News and Trends