[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Shorter College chills the Air

Shorter College chills the Air

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Shorter College chills the Air

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:23 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:31 am

Once you get specific on the morals of fundmentalism vs. the high sounding theology of fundamentalism----Life's not easy!!!

I was at "liberal" Emory as the height of rebellion over Viet Nam (1963-67). My high school classmates were walking the marshes and dying right and left. In the good old South a Student who has been an Administrator until recently, put together a big rally entitled "Affirmation Viet Nam." I saw it as the right thing to do at that stage with men dying for a just cause (we trusted Government to tell the truth then).

At the same time Emory was not making demands about Fraternity Row drinking as if "thou shalt not drink."

They were not interfering with professors telling them what to teach or not teach.

Gay was not even on the radar screen, but based on 1967, I am confident they would not discriminate on sexual orientation any more than they did over racial issues. On the other hand, Bob Jones and its like were rabid over the mixing of races as if they were in the heart of Alabama / Missississippi.

The religious zealots tend to have tunnel vision. A good educational institution is based on obtaining a clear view of all things. Good religion provides for individual differences of opinion. That is disappearing from the "wisdom of Baptists" allowing for Autonomy!

I view the Shorter and Truett-McConnel actions as nothing short of fundamentalist obsession and absolute compliance or else! The specific issues pale by comparison to schools already having a mix of adult-age students who must make decisions for themselves.

My father wisely observed as the preachers were ranting about Mercer not forbidding dancing in the 60's: "We send the students and it is OUR responsibility to send students with morals taught in their church sending them for a higher education!"
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Abel » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:27 am

Abel

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:01 am

Abel---

Give me a break!!! Gays were present in Jesus' day as they have been throughout human history BUT he said NOTHING!

To blame all the woes of our country on the gay acceptance is to be the Conservative H.L. Menkin described as "my contemporary ancestors."

I would rather have them in a committed relationship than forced into the darkness of seducing people into their lifestyle---as have many Catholic Priests done. Our country is based on freedom and acceptance---even when we disagree on any matter.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Abel » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:07 am

Abel

Postby Abel » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:18 am

Abel

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:08 am

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Abel » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:41 am

Abel

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:14 pm

Abel,

Do you believe that a Christian university should refuse to hire non-Christian employees and admit non-Christian students?
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Abel » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:01 pm

My personal opinion is that Christian schools should make clear their beliefs and policies to students, faculty and staff. If students or employees cannot follow the behavior as set forth by the institution, they should not be allowed to remain. Any behavior that brings shame to the name of Jesus should not be tolerated at a Christian school regardless of whether it is a student or employee.

I see nothing wrong with allowing non-Christian students into a Christian university as long as they abide within the guidelines set forth by the school. There is always the possibility they will be saved. I don't see anything wrong with hiring non-Christians to teach non-Christian classes. However, I do believe that as an employee, they represent the school and should most definitely follow school policies in regards of personal behavior.
Abel

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:09 pm

Abel---

Your "perfect world" of college reminds me of the perfect theocracies of many early colonies---all of which miserably failed.

Bet you would have voted for Prohibition as well----which generated more crime and profits for the mob than the old ways ever thought of. So much so that it was repealed as a stupid idea which produced more problems than is solved.

Do you ever read history, old buddy????
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Abel » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:29 pm

Abel

Postby Sandy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Sandy

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:40 pm

Thank you so much, Bruce, for providing us with a "enemies" aka "ignore" option. I've just added another name to it.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Haruo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:20 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:20 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Abel » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:10 am

Abel

Postby Abel » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:19 am

Abel

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:47 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Sandy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:52 am

Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:44 am

Ed: Well said Sandy, but I will quibble with the idea that Homosexuality and murder are parts of Gods creation. Both are perversions of Gods creation.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Abel » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:57 am

Abel

Postby Haruo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:44 am

What about when the Bible itself casts doubt on the inspiration of portions of itself, Abel? I'm thinking of cases like Jesus' remarks concerning the Mosaic laws of divorce ("Moses said such and so for reasons other than divine inspiration, and I now teach a contrary rule." to paraphrase) or the places where Paul says certain of his teachings are his own as distinct from God's. Also, how do you deal with variant readings (usually insignificant [except when you start using terms like "plenary verbal"]) but occasionally extensive?

Did your recovery from alcoholism involve any 12-step work, Christian or otherwise? (I'm 27 years sober in AA, myself.)

Glad to hear that God has been able to make great use of your talents and gifts.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Abel » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:04 pm

Abel

PreviousNext

Return to SBC News and Trends