[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - They Finally Got Him?

They Finally Got Him?

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

They Finally Got Him?

Postby Alan Carter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:02 pm

All Southern Baptists should be rejoicing now that they have finally gotten this pedophile. Of course it is for crimes committed over 30 years ago but it still works.

I would sure enjoy hearing Jack Graham's explanation of why he didn't call the police in Texas and let him get away.

Even more interesting would be to hear what "gratification of lust" actually is. I thought that's what happened in Baptist youth groups on their trips to Six Flags.
Alan Carter

Re: They Finally Got Him?

Postby Alan Carter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:02 pm

Sorry but I forgot to provide a link to the article.

http://www.abpnews.com/content/view/6786/53/
Alan Carter

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:28 pm

Sadly, after 21 years or more, convictions will be hard to establish due to the fact that memories become more clouded and essential people are difficult to find for full prosecutions. It has been far too long for this to have been dealt with.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Alan Carter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:05 pm

Pedophiles don't ever stop so I imagine they can find some more victims if they just keep looking. Too bad the courts in Texas can't prosecute Jack Graham for doing nothing.
Alan Carter

Postby Haruo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:22 pm

I'm always interested in knowing what a statement like "pedophiles never stop" is based on. Alan? What leads you to such a notion, which seems to me to fly in the face of much of Paul's gospel. How are pedophiles different from other sinners, or do you simply mean "sinners never stop"?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Alan Carter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:12 am

It comes from reading psychological and criminal studies.
Alan Carter

Postby Haruo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:52 am

Can you provide me with references to, say, three that you consider particularly convincing as grounds for such a sweeping assertion?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Alan Carter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:59 am

Not offhand I can't. You can Google sex offenders or pedophiles and there will be more than enough reading for you there.

Ministers are legally obligated to contact the police when they know of sex abuse of a child. Jack Graham abdicated that responsibility. The parents of those boys should have filed charges against Jack in addition to the pedophile. If Jack had done his job then nothing would have happened in the other church since the molester would have been in jail. A pedophile can get saved but the old nature doesn't just disappear and they sure should never be left alone with children. If you think they can change totally, then let them babysit your children and see how you feel.
Alan Carter

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:14 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Alan Carter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:29 pm

I've done mine and you guys can do yours. Or better still, go sit and visit with the person at your local police department that handles sex crimes and pedophiles. They can give you better information than any book.
Alan Carter

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:08 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Alan Carter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:35 pm

You can believe that all you want. I'd never ever let one of them near my kids or grandkids.
Alan Carter

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:29 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:33 pm

I'm an alcoholic, and while I don't know I have a hunch that my disease is similar to pedophilia in ways that would affect the possibility/likelihood of recidivism and/or recovering. Since it is now common knowledge that a chronic alcoholic can in fact achieve lifelong abstinence (which is not to say that I know I will not get drunk between now and my death), I am interested in knowing on what grounds pedophilia is held to be significantly different, or whether it is simply a matter of prejudice.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:12 am

We are a culture of excuses looking for outside means for self-control!

This man with a failed ability to control his sexual desires has NO PLACE in a church setting because he could not be trusted to walk a straight walk. The Senior Minister knew he was a pervert, but valued peace and growth over an environment of integrity.

The NT is full of admonitions about walking straight in the activities of those who follow Christ. Do all the "high-minded" discussion and speculation you want, but the bottom line is a child is hurt for the rest of his life and nobody did anything to stop it nor prevent it.

Ordaination = trust. If you can't be trusted then you need to be un-ordained------PERIOD!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Alan Carter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:00 am

Gene said it better than I ever could. Thanks.
Alan Carter

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:34 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:06 am

I've seen the recidivism rate listed anywhere between 12% - 17%.

But, recidivism is defined as re-arrest or re-conviction. However, extremely high percentage of sex crimes are not reported. So, really we just don't know how high that recidivism rate is - probably much higher than the 12-17%.

I have no doubts that a pedophile can change. But there's a HUGE difference between believing someone can change and allowing someone who says he/she has recovered to be allowed anywhere near children.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:01 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:33 pm

Same here!!!!

When counseling with women whose husbands had abused them for years and was now saying, "I made a mistake / forgive me / take me back in" I advised the women to tell the stinker: "You show me the same number of years of respect and changed bahavior as you have hell----then, and only then, will I begin to discuss it!!!"

I don't know of a single woman who got her mate doing as he promised!!!

The same is, sadly, true with pedophiles. When you start thinking with the head below the waist (both male or female) you do not have sufficient blood supply to support the brain above your shoulders-----SORRY!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Haruo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:58 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:40 am

Sadly, among Baptists the treatmenet of pedophils is usually more kind than that of the divorced minister!!!

So how do we come up with the categories of "unforgivable sin???"
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Alan Carter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:56 am

Personally I don't care whether you embrace my "dogma" or not. The point of the whole article was that a Baptist pastor in Texas (Jack Graham) didn't do his job and fulfill his legal responsibilities so a pedophile was unleashed on another church--and he did what pedophiles do and that is molest children. I believe in the life-changing powers of Jesus but I sure don't want a pedophile working in my nursery or children's division. As I said, if you want references, Google them or go visit the local police department. Just like an alcoholic is always an alcoholic, a pedophile is always a pedophile. Whether they are active or not is their choice.
Alan Carter

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:47 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:21 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends