Time to stop talking and start action on the SBC name change

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Time to stop talking and start action on the SBC name change

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:42 pm

William Thornton wrote:I ran across this especially insightful, witty, and brilliant piece on the name change:

Will GCB die a quiet death?

Very good link, William. And, you are probably right.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:55 pm

William Thornton wrote:I ran across this especially insightful, witty, and brilliant piece on the name change:

Will GCB die a quiet death?

Good article William. I too noticed the heavy use in recent years of "Great Commission" attached to a lot of SBC initiatives. Did they not get a marketing firm to help come up with a name? Maybe they should.

I'm sympathetic to a name change away from a regionalized name. I can see why the SBC might want to do that. If you are planting a church in St. Paul, MN "Southern" is just going to cause head scratching.

But I've never been thrilled with non-descriptive names for churches. At least "southern" describes something about the convention. Every church is supposed to be following the Great Commission so what new do you learn from the name?

After the "American Baptist Evangelicals" changes their name to "Cornerstone Network Group" and then rejiggered that "Cornerstone Network" the group slowly faded into oblivion. Becoming nondescript isn't an advantage for a church group. (Or picking a name that makes you sound like an insurance cooperative either.)
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:50 am

I am finding the reality of the SBC to be opposite what names they use.

Assuming this to be true, I suspect the mission is now to grow mega churches and let the world of ministry and missions go to the side. :?

Read your blog, William, and find it thought provoking. Here's my inspiration:

At least the name might be closer to reality--- "Great Commission (of theft) Baptists"
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:15 am

Just out today: http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2012-02-21/southern-baptists-name/53187766/1

The task force was the brainchild of the Rev. Bryant Wright, an Atlanta megachurch pastor who is currently the president of the convention.

Wright said that Southern Baptists have been talking about changing their name for more than 100 years. He hopes the new alternative would put this issue to rest.

"It was really just to have an opportunity to study this and to see if it would enhance our mission of fulfilling the Great Commission," he said.

The Rev. Ken Fentress of Montrose Baptist Church in Rockville, Md., spoke in favor of the alternative name during the meeting of the Southern Baptist Executive Committee in downtown Nashville.

Fentress said that the Southern Baptist name still has negative connotations for many African-Americans.

He pointed out that the name Southern was chosen as a way to identify with the Confederacy in 1845.

Fentress said that today, theology and mission binds Southern Baptists together — not where they are located.

"Sound Christian theology takes precedence over geography and politics," he said.

What I see above is:

*a mega church President wants to put on a good face to attract numbers
*another Pastor of the same church whose Pastor led the ouster of Randall Lolley and SEBTS change can hide such with change of name
*total bull that "theology and mission binds" when most of us know a powerful few control and make decisions for all

The basic truth finally comes out:

The idea of offering an alternative name is part of an effort to reverse a decline in membership and baptisms in the 16.2-million member convention. Southern Baptists baptized 332,321 people last year, the lowest number since the 1950s. Membership dropped for the fourth year in a row, and the convention has cut the number of overseas missionaries it sends out.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

I find it sad/Rd.org

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:07 pm

that nobody on this board has picked up on the definitive piece on this matter, which I linked several posts back; Paul Harvey's commentary at www.religiondispatches.org. It is the starting point for the current discussion. Much of the distracting commentary in the wake of my link has been stuff 30 years old any 3rd grader could find at the wikipedia page on the takeover.
Here's a cryout for Aaron Weaver and Bruce Gourley to assess Paul Harvey's definitive remarks and analysis
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:04 pm

Stephen:

1. If it is about politics put it in the politics forum and not here.
2. If it is not about the name change, don't put it here.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Politics at the heart of the name change

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:11 pm

That is exactly the point Harvey makes at his definitive article at www.religiondispatches.org . Read the article and give oxygen to others like Aaron Weaver and Bruce Gourley to make their own assessment about where the proper place is.
This conversation about the name change fits in both places, both in public policy and here.
I make that point in good company, from Ellen Rosenberg who wrote the 88 book on Southern Baptists to Charles Marsh's Father Robert and his testimony at 2nd Ponce in the 90's.
Pressler oil money feeds Rove; and they hire Richard Land. This name change oozes with the politics of Rove and Charles Pickering's orchestration.
Saying this as a friend, but just because you don't get it; doesn't make it not so
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:33 pm

OK, Stephen, I want you to take until Monday and not post anything on the SBCNT forum. If you cannot do simple things here then you might be looking for another place to put your stuff.

Let a word to the wise be sufficient, bro.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:45 pm

I ran across an article via FB that lists top ten names rejected in the name change. It seemed legit.

http://www.religionnews.com/faith/clergy-and-congregations/top-10-names-rejected-by-the-southern-baptists

Neil
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:30 am

B.U.B.B.A. Sounds like a great choice to me, but I am a Dayum Yankee so consider the source, :lol:
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:14 am

BUT---you have a gre-ut acse-cen-unt! :wink:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:06 am

More local input on name change stuff:

http://www.gastongazette.com/news/baptist-68291-southern-name.html

Thane Kendall, Greater Gaston Baptist Association intentional interim director of missions, said the Southern Baptist Convention has dealt with proposals to change the name before. The Greater Gaston Baptist Association includes 131 Southern Baptist churches inGastonCountyand surrounding counties.

Read more: http://www.gastongazette.com/articles/b ... z1oFNBa8dL

Remember: this is the Association near Charlotte, NC, which forced their DOM to leave for no good reason. Hence, they now have an "Intentional Interim DOM." With the politics now trying to take over every Association in NC, I doubt it will help much.

They still don't see how the public is turned off by hate and constant fighting over little or nothing!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Gene Scarborough wrote:More local input on name change stuff:

http://www.gastongazette.com/news/baptist-68291-southern-name.html

Thane Kendall, Greater Gaston Baptist Association intentional interim director of missions, said the Southern Baptist Convention has dealt with proposals to change the name before. The Greater Gaston Baptist Association includes 131 Southern Baptist churches inGastonCountyand surrounding counties.

Read more: http://www.gastongazette.com/articles/b ... z1oFNBa8dL

Remember: this is the Association near Charlotte, NC, which forced their DOM to leave for no good reason. Hence, they now have an "Intentional Interim DOM." With the politics now trying to take over every Association in NC, I doubt it will help much.

They still don't see how the public is turned off by hate and constant fighting over little or nothing!

Ed: From the Story in Genes link. I nominate this for the greatest understatement in the first quarter of 2012, "The Southern Baptist Convention did not oppose slavery when it broke away from the main Baptist organization in 1845."
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:35 am

How about this attempt to cover the mess of CR:

http://www.abpnews.com/content/view/7217/53/

“And they've done that, I think, successfully,” Luter said. “I think what this election would do, if I am elected, it will say, ‘Hey, we're not only talking this thing; we're putting our money where our mouth is.'"

“If I'm elected, it's going to be because of the Anglo messengers who overwhelmingly have voted for me,” he said. “It won't be because of the handful of black folk that's going to be there. So it will say something to the country and to the world that the Southern Baptist Convention is not just talking this thing, we're actually walking this thing. And I think that will speak volumes.”

One hundred-sixty-seven years after its split with northern Baptists over slavery prior to the Civil War, the Southern Baptist Convention remains predominantly white, but leaders say that half of churches started in the last decade were non-Anglo.

Ethnic congregations made up about 13 percent of SBC churches in 1998. That increased to 18 percent by 2008, with African-American and Hispanic congregations leading the way at 6 percent each of SBC churches, followed by Asians and other ethnic groups making up 3 percent each.

In recent decades Southern Baptists have passed 11 resolutions seeking greater ethnic participation in convention affairs. Last year messengers approved recommendations of a study group named to increase involvement by ethnic churches.

Fake and fighting constantly can't be covered with a "graceous outreach to minorities and ethnics" = SORRY :oops:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby William Thornton » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:03 pm

This would be a good subject for a new topic, Gene. I would contribute, FWIW
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:49 am

Good idea---will post it today.
Gene Scarborough