[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - SBC name change

SBC name change

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: SBC name change

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:17 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Alan Carter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:54 am

While I truly enjoyed that translation, I hope we are all pointing the accusing fingers at those in the moderate/liberal, CBF, and Texas Baptists Committed because they exhibit the same traits as the much-maligned Pattersonites and Presslerites. Its wrong on both sides of the aisle and please don't try to tell me they don't do it too because I know way too many of them and know better.

As far as the name change, I don't think anyone in or out of the church cares at all. Its just more wasted effort.
Alan Carter

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:57 am

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Alan Carter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:13 am

Well, let's see.

The CBF'ers play the same ladder climbing games as the conservatives. Its just that they don't run the SBC any longer. Just look at the structure in Texas with certain ones running things; i.e. David Currie and George Mason. They also have affairs like the conservatives but I don't think you want me to name names. However, I can tell you that some live and work in Waco and Baylor. Of the liberal pastors I know, I would say they are as dictatorial as their conservative counter-parts. Maybe its just a Texas thing.

Look at the Baptist Building in Dallas and you'll see all those awful attributes that are continually given to the conservatives. There is ladder-climbing, back-stabbing, gossip, and all those other things on an everyday basis.

I'm not excusing nor condoning the behavior of the conservatives but it sure isn't limited to their side of the aisle.
Alan Carter

Postby Cathy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:14 am

Inerrant Baptist Convention
Cathy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:48 pm

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Immersionist/Inerrantist Christian Union (ICU²), which butts into the acronymic home fields of hospitals and credit unions alike.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:47 pm

The "Inerrant Baptist Convention," if you are suggesting the name applies to belief in Inerrancy, would not distinguish Southern Baptists from about 90% of their Baptist brethren in the US, not to mention around the world. I google searched Baptist conventions, and perused the websites of the nine top groups which came up to see if their statement of faith contained either the term inerrant when referring to the Bible, or which indicated a belief in the infallibility of the scriptures similar to the Baptist Faith and Message statement "truth, without any mixture of error." Including Independent and fundamental Baptists with the SBC in this total, they represent well over 80% of all Baptists in the US and Canada. With the exception of ABC-USA and CBF, and the PNBC, which is a relatively small African-American denomination, I do not know of any Baptist groups that do not embrace inerrancy in some form that moderate Baptists wouldn't object to.
Sandy

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Sandy---

What a waste of time!

Why not just Google "Baptist" "Stupid" and see what comes up?????
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:15 pm

I always wonder which is inerrant: Did God tempt David to take a census or did Satan tempt David to take a census? Obviously, the writer(s) of Samuel/Kings and the writer(s) of Chronicles need to get together. Both can't be inerrant, can they?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Cathy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Maybe...Convention of Inerrant Baptists
Cathy

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:35 pm

NEVER read the Bible to be an Inerrantist!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Timsings » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:15 pm

"So it is with every craftsman. . . . They maintain the fabric of this world, and the practice of their craft is their prayer." (Sirach 38.27, 34)

"I'm living with war everyday." (Neil Young) 12 years later, and still true.
Timsings

Postby RonH » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:56 pm

I too suspect this has more to do with "baptist" than it does "southern." Don't know how the rest of the country feels, but a VERY warm place will freeze before people in this area will drop "baptist" from their name. If the SBC is no longer the sBc then why support it with CP giving? Might increase the Great Commission Giving which on final thought might be the real reason for the name change.

RonH

Postby Haruo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:08 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:12 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:35 am

The trouble with Inerrancy is that it requires the Bible reader to take out his mind and lay it on the table of ignorance! :brick: :brick:

It sounds good until you lay parts of the Bible side-by-side and find inconsistency. When they add "in the original autographs" to it, we all know there are none!!!

It's all a "straw dog" argument which has never made sense to me and never will.

Too bad so many believers want to replace faith with written documents that should lead one to an individual faith in God---not the thing called The Bible.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Sandy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:12 am

Sandy

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:33 am

SAndy---

You have a far too broad view of "most Baptists."

I think the crux of the problems between CBF and SBC come when a few views become those of "most Baptists."

Let's rejoice that we have found a way to expression of our mission endeavors. I relish the freedom given under the CBF umbrella. I feel sorry for those who enjoy being told what to do and how to express it in exact words. Faith far exceeds any verbal expression simplified by "inerrant."
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:17 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:54 pm

I began the process of considering inerrancy back in 1978 before it became a code word in the SBC. When the Chicago Statement on Innerancy was issued, I read and studied the document with what I believe was an open mind. My greatest problem came with all the exceptions entered into the statement including that only the original autographs were inerrant. To me, since we have none of those, the whole statement seems to embody August Comte's logical positivism and combines that with a pentecostal "name it and claim it theology. Since it only pertains to nonexistent documents, exempts numbers, exempts discrepancies in parallel accounts, and has exceptions big enough through which you can back a Mack truck, I could never endorse it or see any reason it should be applied to the SBC I was quite happy with the Baptist Faith and Message of 1963, but that was never the technical inerrancy of the Chicago Statement of 1978. Indeed, historically, the word "inerrancy" only came to the SBC as grounds for the elective strategy of 1979 and years following. That is just my personal testimony in this. Nobody has to like it or agree with it, but that is where I am. Even a scholar of the conservative credentials of Dr. David Dockery found 9 differing understandings of inerrancy in the SBC. I just can't find a justification for the claims.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:26 pm

Here's my view and it is the same as Dave's: :horse:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby KeithE » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:52 pm

Last edited by KeithE on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:29 am

I was reared in a strong SBC context, graduated from a Baptist college and an SBC seminary. The concept of inerrancy was never stressed. I had studied Warfield, but that was not the norm. Most Baptists I knew were what I would describe as "simple biblicists" who were looking at the texts for life guidance, not for technical information. That is a far cry from creedal inerrancy which seems the current SBC position. My church seemed to live by the slogan, "No book but the Bible, no creed but Christ." Guess they set my course from such. Maybe the SBC should be called the Creedal Inerrantist Baptist Convention.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to SBC News and Trends