[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - SBC name change

SBC name change

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

SBC name change

Postby Blake » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:18 am

"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Re: SBC name change

Postby Neil Heath » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:49 am

Wish BL.com had a "Like" button. Great humor, with more than a dash of truth, Blake. Thanks!
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Alan Carter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:48 pm

How about these:

Biblical Convention of America
Biblical View of Men Convention of America
Heterosexual Convention of America
Non-Gay Convention of America
Non-Democrat Convention of America
Republican-Biblical Convention of America
Tithers Convention of America
Non-bloggers Convention of America
Old Folks Convention
Non-Liberal Convention
Alan Carter

Postby Blake » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:12 pm

Evangelical Baptist Convention of America hasn't been taken. That actually doesn't sound too bad. In fact that's the best I've heard. I doubt we'd be confused with the Evangelical Baptist Convention of India or the Ukrainian Evangelical Baptist Convention of Canada.
"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Haruo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:24 pm

Some folks up North might assume EBCA was a liberal Lutheran immersionist splinter group...
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Blake » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:02 pm

How about Convention of Evangelical Baptists? Convention of American Evangelical Baptists? American Evangelical Baptist Convention? Assembly/Assemblies of Evangelical Baptists? I think I like assembly instead of convention. It feels less formal and less business-like and more representative of our free church ecclesiology at its various levels.
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:41 pm

The discussion about renaming the SBC has been bounced around, even in SBC annual conventions, since the late 1960's or early 1970's, So far, the idea has never gained much traction. I'm not expecting this effort to gain a lot of ground either.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Some of us think the biggest problem with all of your (Blake's) "Evangelical" suggestions is that it would do the same damage to that term that the SBC has already done to "Baptist".

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:43 pm

This is 'old' news, as Dave notes. The only thing new this go around is that bloggers have seized it by the throat and are attempting to throttle even the suggestion of an idea of even thinking about it.

Look for an insightful and scintillating blog by moi tomorrow at .

Thoughts:
It will be a cold day in gehenna when 'Baptist' is dropped.
'Evangelical' is DOA, since it carries some baggage and we like to distinguish ourselves from the pack.
'Southern' is the current snarl word that causes some of the brethren to do serious handwringing. I don't know of a decent substitute.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:00 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:13 pm

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Neil Heath » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Blake » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:31 pm

- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Sandy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:28 pm

I wouldn't have ever thought there would be a Baptist group that would self-identify as "Converge" so I won't speculate on the liklihood that the SBC will change its name. I'm not sure what the purpose would be, since there are Southern Baptist churches in all 50 states, and around the world. The name "Southern" is more a historical reference than it is a geographic or even cultural indicator. Southern Baptists in Pittsburgh are more likely to worship in an ethnic or language congregation than in a traditional setting. In the rural areas of Western PA, the churches don't have anything specific that would distinguish them from the other Baptist churches unless you happen to recognize the logo on the sign, or they use Lifeway material in Sunday School, which a lot of non-SBC churches up here also use.

The SBC is very likely one of the most culturally and ethnically diverse denominations in the country. What would a name change do for it at this point?
Sandy

Postby ET » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:50 am

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:25 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Alan Carter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:44 am

I thought about "Saved Baptist Convention" but then realized it wouldn't include all our church members.

Thought about "Blood Washed Baptist Convention" but then realized it would offend the liberals.

Thought about "Bible Believing Baptist Convention" but then realized we wouldn't have any members in Waco.

Thought about "Non-Argumentative Baptist Convention" but then realized that would be an outright lie.

Thought about "Mega Church Baptist Convention" but then realized we already have too many of those.

So I guess we'll have to be content with what we have.......
Alan Carter

Postby Jerry_B » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:37 am

I may change my name to Suzy and buy a new wardrobe but that doesn't change who I really am. The same applies to the SBC, they can change the name to a generic name with no meaning or history, it really doesn't matter, they are and will be the SBC. Unless Jerry has surgery to remove and add some things, Jerry will never be Suzy. Same applies to the SBC, unless they have some serious surgery to add and remove some things they will always be the SBC.
Jerry_B

Postby William Thornton » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:19 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby rfuss » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:24 pm

What about the Conservative Baptist Convention. Since the conservative resurgence, this might be more descriptive. Or maybe some other Baptist group already has that name.
Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say rejoice.
rfuss

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:51 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby rfuss » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:53 pm

Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say rejoice.
rfuss

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Ed Pettibone

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends