Diversity at Royal Lane Baptist Church

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Diversity at Royal Lane Baptist Church

Postby Matt Richard » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:21 pm

Ed Pettibone wrote:
Matt Richard wrote:I didn't say it WAS publicity, just asking the question. I think it's a good question to keep in mind in areas like this where the pendulum has begun to swing to the opposite side in Baptist life. "Proof" of something like this would be hard to substantiate and subjective at best. In all areas of church life, the question of "why are we doing what we are doing" can never get asked enough. Only the church can judge their motives.

Ed: So Matt when you asked "At what point does this stop becoming diversity for the sake of diversity, and start becoming diversity for the sake of publicity?' The italics are mine , I confess I may have read more into your question than is there and felt you where offering an oblique statement about Royal lane and similar churches.

So, what was "this" that potentially, a. stops becoming diversity for the sake of diversity and b. becomes diversity for the sake of publicity? And what does each mean?

"This" is the situation at hand. It means what I I thought I already said. I recognize a tendency in all churches (but specifically what you call "Royal Lane and similar churches" in this situation) to stand for things (be it inerrancy or homosexual ordination) because it furthers their identification with a public platform. While I am personally against homosexual ordination, I recognize their right as an autonomous church to practice it. It was not a judgement, but a caution. Perhaps I should have been more specific in my first post.
Matt Richard

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:30 pm

Matt Richard wrote:
Ed Pettibone wrote:
Matt Richard wrote:I didn't say it WAS publicity, just asking the question. I think it's a good question to keep in mind in areas like this where the pendulum has begun to swing to the opposite side in Baptist life. "Proof" of something like this would be hard to substantiate and subjective at best. In all areas of church life, the question of "why are we doing what we are doing" can never get asked enough. Only the church can judge their motives.

Ed: So Matt when you asked "At what point does this stop becoming diversity for the sake of diversity, and start becoming diversity for the sake of publicity?' The italics are mine , I confess I may have read more into your question than is there and felt you where offering an oblique statement about Royal lane and similar churches.

So, what was "this" that potentially, a. stops becoming diversity for the sake of diversity and b. becomes diversity for the sake of publicity? And what does each mean?

"This" is the situation at hand. It means what I I thought I already said. I recognize a tendency in all churches (but specifically what you call "Royal Lane and similar churches" in this situation) to stand for things (be it inerrancy or homosexual ordination) because it furthers their identification with a public platform. While I am personally against homosexual ordination, I recognize their right as an autonomous church to practice it. It was not a judgement, but a caution. Perhaps I should have been more specific in my first post.

Ed: Thanks Matt ! Let me be the first to welcome you to BL.C.. I would also invite you to introduce yourself in the welcome forum.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:43 pm

Let's see---who can be the wierdest bunch of Christians in the world?????

Last time I checked, it was about faith rather than the social elements of a given church.

As long as people of faith gather, I doubt God really cares about the sexuality he gave them----so what's the real point of all this?????

The pure fact it's in Texas is enough for me---and it would hardly be attended by Paige Patterson for sure!!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends