[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Diversity at Royal Lane Baptist Church

Diversity at Royal Lane Baptist Church

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Diversity at Royal Lane Baptist Church

Postby Alan Carter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Diversity has truly been achieved at Royal Lane BC in Dallas, Texas. They are adding their fifth gay deacon this month. To show their true diversity, their Chairman of Deacons is a lesbian.

I'm so proud of their openness and transparency in today's Baptist world.
Alan Carter

Re: Diversity at Royal Lane Baptist Church

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Alan Carter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:35 pm

They run about 200 in worship on Sunday and I imagine they have 10-12 straight deacons. I'm not sure how that ratio works out though.
Alan Carter

Postby Tim Dahl » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:40 pm

Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Postby Alan Carter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:08 pm

I'll check and find out those figures for your information.

Perhaps they will be participating or leading this conference on sexuality:

http://www.abpnews.com/content/view/6710/53/
Alan Carter

Postby Alan Carter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Just talked with one of their deacons and here are their stats:

3-5 Black deacons
3-5 Hispanic deacons
33-35 Total number of deacons
90-95% White people in the congregation as a whole
Alan Carter

Postby Sandy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:31 am

Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:07 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Alan Carter » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:12 am

I forgot to add that over half of their deacons are women. Diversity rules supreme in parts of Dallas for sure.
Alan Carter

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:26 pm

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Haruo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:29 pm

What's their membership like sexual-orientation/gender-identification-wise? I mean, is 5 gay deacons tokenism or overkill? Of the churches I've visited in my weekly peripateticism this year, the one I find most appealing as a place to go with regularity, if not join per se, , is rather heavily GLBT (and racially rather white). I think they may have been the very first (1987) Open & Affirming DOC congregation; certainly in this part of the country.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Alan Carter » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:43 pm

I would say their membership is about 25% gay.
Alan Carter

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:25 pm

And how did you arrive at 25% Alan?

Are you a member? What's your connection to the church?
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Matt Richard » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:44 pm

Matt Richard

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:30 pm

Any proof that Royal Lane is actively seeking publicity?

All we have here is a comment on a message board making a claim based on what he's heard. I don't see where Royal Lane is advertising anything?
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Haruo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:54 am

Sounds like their nonwhite members are better represented in the deacon pool than their nonhetero ones are. Does "Hispanic" count as "white" or "nonwhite" when comparing deacons to the congregation as a whole?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Alan Carter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:05 am

They aren't seeking publicity because they don't really care what the rest of the Baptist world thinks of what they are doing. I have many good friends who go there and have attended there myself. The figures I gave you came from deacons themselves so I would consider them trustworthy. It is quite an interesting place to go--you should all go sometime.
Alan Carter

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:10 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:56 am

Just to add, how is a church calling its FIFTH gay deacon going to get publicity? News organizations generally cover FIRSTS not FIFTHS.
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Sandy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:14 am

I've always believed that church leadership was selected by evidence of a spiritual calling, and not with regard to a "representative" ratio of the presence of similar backgrounds in the congregation. Of course, in a Baptist church it is the Deacons who do the kind of leadership that most churches call "Elders" to do, but from a Biblical perspective, this is based on the individual's sense of calling, and ability to meet the Biblical qualifications, and not on the percentage of racially or culturally similar people in the church.

At our former church in Houston, about 40% of the congregation was Hispanic. The Deacons included two Asians (one Chinese, one Indian), one African American who served as chair the last two years I was there. Of the remaining men, mostly past 50, mostly caucasians, one was German, one was born and raised on Guernsey Island off the British coast, and one was an MK who was raised in Brazil. Attempts to ordain a "representative" number of Hispanics came up short because none of the Hispanic men in the church felt called to serve as Deacons.

Royal Lane doesn't have to seek the approval of any other Baptists with regard to the choices they made regarding Deacons, nor is the "diversity" of their Deacon body anything more than the lack of diversity is in any other church. It's the end result of their process of selection. If it is intended to make some kind of "statement" about how other Baptists should be doing it, then they have done it for the wrong reason, and if it is lauded as such, it is being praised for the wrong reason. The real question is whether they followed Biblical qualifications in choosing their Deacons. If they did, then that is to be praised and celebrated more than the achieving of some false standard called "diversity." If they didn't, well, that's between them and God.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:42 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Matt Richard » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:51 am

I didn't say it WAS publicity, just asking the question. I think it's a good question to keep in mind in areas like this where the pendulum has begun to swing to the opposite side in Baptist life. "Proof" of something like this would be hard to substantiate and subjective at best. In all areas of church life, the question of "why are we doing what we are doing" can never get asked enough. Only the church can judge their motives.
Matt Richard

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:44 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Alan Carter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:08 pm

I think they do it because they have a lot of gay members and they want to be represented on the deacon board. Of course they have some members that think its cool to have gay members so they can say they are open and tolerant but I think the vast majority are sincere in their openness to having gay members. I must admit that it does a bit of adjusting to get used to seeing openly gay couples in church on Sunday.
Alan Carter

Postby Haruo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Back in 1996 or so I went very intentionally to the Seattle Metropolitan Community Church once a month for a year. That pretty well inoculated me (if I wasn't already immune) against shock at seeing gay couples in church. At MCC it's more likely that the sense of something unusual would be occasioned by seeing two or more straight couples at a time in church. There was an interesting chapter in a book I once read (and have forgotten the title of) about congregational decision-making, that dealt with the conflict within an MCC congregation that was considering ordaining a straight male clergyperson. Wish I could recall the name of that book. (Interesting stuff in it on decision-making in Friends' meetings, too, as well as Baptist and other experiences.)

Haruo
Site Admin

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends