[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Would You Or Would You Not Do The Wedding?

Would You Or Would You Not Do The Wedding?

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Would You Or Would You Not Do The Wedding?

Postby Alan Carter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:12 am

Interesting post here: http://www.bpnews.net/

I would sure like to hear the different views from pastors on whether or not they would perform the wedding.
Alan Carter

Re: Would You Or Would You Not Do The Wedding?

Postby William Thornton » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:22 am

I'm with the majority in that I take weddings on case-by-case basis if there is a divorce, same for cohabitation.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:41 am

I fail to see how a Pastor should consider himself the judge on whether to perform a marriage or not.

The couple came to you in the beginning because they wanted to seal their relationship with a formal religious wedding ceremony. That was a positive step toward you and God! For a pastor to then place himself a judge / jury / executioner makes no sense to me.

Rather, I see it as an opportunity to discuss with a couple the nature of a good marriage. If they are feeling guilt over the past, then use the opportunity to help them find God's forgiveness---not yours!

The article deals mostly with cohabiting couples. Sadly, and stupidly, that is happening more than we realize. For me it reflects women cheapening their right to be chaste. We all know how easily any morals go out the window when a man starts thinking with his "lower head" over his "upper head." The woman is in control of the real ethics of sexuality.

Once lust and sex enter the picture confusion is easy to follow. My most important question to any couple is "How do you feel about the same sex parent of your pospective spouse?" They always try to cover any problems there. I then explain to them that the reason for the question is that most likely their spouse will be more like their parent than they will ever realize now. If you don't like her morther or his father, then problems are likely ahead which should be resolved now before the commitment becomes more formal.

I haven't ever talked any couple out of a wedding, but have had some come back to me later and admit, "I should have paid more attention to that question because I got the parent I really didn't like!"
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:24 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:38 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:40 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:55 am

William---

The basic biblical situation I always bring to a divorced couple deals with Jesus' take on "divorce and re-marriage = adultery."

One with a knowledge of Jewish law knows that Jesus was referring to the ability of a Jewish man to present his wife with a "certificate of divorce" and it is over. The woman is not granted that same right.

A man doing his trade-in for a younger "trophy model" is doing exactly what Jesus said WAS "legalized" adultery----and I don't bless adultery, but I leave it to their conscience to deal with such. The woman usually gets it more clear that what goes around comes around and she is likely to be the next in a string of wives-----until his money runs out!!!

I have had that to happen as the lady wised up to his wandering eye.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Alan Carter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:14 am

It does make my day to see your many and varied comments. Thanks for helping me get through the heat wave.
Alan Carter

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:31 pm

For a pastor who assumes the say-so on weddings (who can and who can’t have his services), it might be better to ask no questions and make no assumptions.
Jim

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:53 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:07 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Alan Carter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:40 pm

If some of you guys are willing to do a wedding for a couple living together or divorced because of no real reason, am I to assume that you would also do a same sex wedding?

Just asking.
Alan Carter

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:59 pm

Jim

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:20 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:23 pm

As an ordained minister, you are not obligated to perform weddings if you choose not to do so.

Not having ever served as a senior pastor, I haven't performed a whole lot of weddings. The first one I ever performed was my sister's wedding, and then the same year, I performed a wedding for her best friend. Normally, when I've been asked, its because I've been the remaining staff member at a church that lost its pastor. I guess I've done about 15 weddings over the course of the last 30 years.

I do have a counseling requirement, and I would consider each request on a case by case basis. At my last church, when our pastor resigned, I was the only full time staff member who remained, and I was there for three years before the next pastor was called. We got a lot of requests for weddings because our facility was very traditional in its appearance, and all couples requesting to use the facility were required to set up a counseling appointment with the pastor. During that three year period, I met with two dozen couples who were planning a wedding in our church building. Though I only performed one ceremony myself, I met with all of the others. Most of them did not have a church of their own, which was why they were asking to use our facility. Of course, most of them were living together and had been for quite some time. In a couple of cases, there were children involved. Having the chance to speak with them was an opportunity to do some teaching with regard to their own spiritual life and spiritual condition and to direct them toward putting their marriage on a Christian foundation. I never got a negative response to that, in fact, had several couples who made re-dedications and two couples actually began attending church as a result of their contact with us.

There probably would be circumstances under which I would decline to perform a wedding, and I believe that I am entitled to my own convictions, regardless of the fact that I am ordained.
Sandy

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:42 am

William---

I did the counseling and they did the deciding. You might call that a "case-by-case" approach, but I didn't feel I was their judge. They have to live with the decision and commitment to wed.

Sandy---

I like your take. It bespeaks compassion and encouragement as a minister of the Gospel. Think what would have happened if you portrayed yourself as the judge, jury, executioner of ideal morals in a less than ideal world of reality. I don't think Jesus ever did such = "go and sin no more, you are forgiven."
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Alan Carter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:55 am

Here are some things I would consider for "no real reason":

1. To marry your secretary.
2. Because she kept hiding my remote control.
3. Because she didn't like sports.
4. Because I want an open relationship.
5. Because I didn't like his mother.
6. Because she couldn't cook.
7. Because he went hunting too often.

These are just a few of the ridiculous reasons I have heard over the years for getting a divorce. I still do not consider them valid nor Biblical.
Alan Carter

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:35 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:07 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:47 pm

Sandy

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:31 am

So----how do you distinguish between the list Sandy cited and the same-sex couple desiring to affirm their monogomous relationship to each other?

It would seem such a desire would offset the absolutely sinful lifestyle of seducing innocent people into it!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:28 pm

I think the list he cited was Alan's list of bad reasons for a divorce.

There are as many situations that come up when people are getting married as there are individual people who are getting married, and they are all on their own individual path toward spiritual maturity. My own experience with this isn't extensive, but generally, when people are considering marriage, and they want a church wedding done by an ordained minister, they've more than likely done some thinking about their personal situation and they are already thinking about making some changes.

When a divorce is involved, you can't go back and erase mistakes. But that shouldn't prevent someone from moving on. You just take people at their word, and hope they've learned from their mistakes and understand that it takes the spiritual power of a sovereign God to change things.

I haven't had a whole lot of experience in this particular field. But even with the few people for whom I've performed weddings, I've encountered a lot of different situations. I have met with couples who were living together before they got married, and with those who had been through divorce. I've never had anyone who didn't, at least openly, respond positively to the counseling.

I would guess that, if you weren't interested in making any kind of real change in your relationship pattern, you'd plan a civil ceremony.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:32 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:47 am

Ed: You know Gene, he seems to think pointing out such discrepancies, is being picky.
For the short reply to your post; again I don't think we are really very far apart but I do think you are being overly optimistic about "just take(ing) people at their word, and hope(ing) they've learned from their mistakes and (they ) understand that it takes the spiritual power of a sovereign God to change things. " You of course see I have changed your comment with my additions in parentheses. I do see other ways to interpret what you wrote but I would like to know how close I am before preceding with that thought. But then also I am less than comfortable with your statement that "

Gene: I tend to be optimistic, Ed. I think it is the responsibility of a good counselor to bring issues to the top of the table and do our best to help people deal with them. I'm simply NOT the judge/jury/executioner for their lives. They live them and take responsibility for their decisions---for better or worse (as the vow states). Thanks so much for the spelling correction and I won't debate it when Webster's is involved. Just don't have time to go to Webster's at every moment of striving for spelling perfection! The main point is you understand what I mean.

Ed: Sadly what I am saying is that I am persuaded that for many of the wrong reasons people decide to get married and generally they will find some one to sign the license after saying a few words. but they want the more conventional trappings.

And I think pastors by and large make it much to easy.

It hasn't come up in this thread but some here already know I think being pregnant is not alone, a sufficient reason for getting married.

Gene: I agree that Pastors would rather collect their "gift" than take the time to counsel wisely with them. When a Psychologist gets $150-200 per hour for counseling, most Pastors get $50 (if they are lucky) for spending some 5-10 hours with the counseling and other activities. As a matter of fact, the wise Pastor, when asked, "How much do I owe you?" should respond: "What is your bride worth to you?"

I totally agree with you over pregnancy being a valid reason for getting married. In my personal life, my daughter was far from pregnant when she married, but she made a bad mistake with a "pretender" who promised to do better if she would marry him. In this case, he lied / he came from a totally crazy family where love is not a part of their picture / his demons "required" him to smoke pot to find peace even when he was calibrating sensitive high-dollar scanners for Siemens who employs him (I just hope he doesn't get caught because there goes the child support).

In a way, I wish another pastor had married them and really taken them to the realities of their choices. As her father I minimized my aggression as we counseled together. Later, our daughter has confessed to her "second thoughts" and doubts she was doing the right thing when she knew his background and his promises. Neither I nor she could offset his clever lies nor predict his return to the "crazy" of his upbringing. That's what divorce is for---and my daughter certainly deserved such after 15 years of abuse, both mental and physical. I'm just glad I didn't know all the details until after she made her decision to leave him = there might have been a "chipping machine accident!!!"
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends