[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - SBC President Meets With Gay Leaders

SBC President Meets With Gay Leaders

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

SBC President Meets With Gay Leaders

Postby Alan Carter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:20 pm

Quite an interesting story. What are we to think?

http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?id=35600
Alan Carter

Re: SBC President Meets With Gay Leaders

Postby Haruo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:03 am

I'm waiting to see how the meeting is reported by AWAB. Such meetings are good. But I must say there's a lot of distance to be covered before we get to where they understand each other. As with the sin of miscegenation and so on, the sweep of history will eventually cause the SBC to repent of its position on this stuff, it will be seen that "sexual purity" isn't exclusively the territory of the celibate and the male-female-paired.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:14 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Alan Carter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:42 am

Here is a link to the first account on Baptist Press. Its a little different.

http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=35736

I especially like this quote by Wright: "The hateful rhetoric of some professing believers has tarnished the reputation of other Christians, Wright said."

Perhaps we as Baptists should spend a bit more time looking in the mirror before we head out to work.
Alan Carter

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:59 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Jim » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:34 am

I suppose Wright can be commended – at least in this forum – for meeting with the homosexuals. Not to have done so might have made him appear insensitive to them, though in even acknowledging their request he could have been accused of being insensitive to Christ, the OT writers and Paul, who all made it clear that homosexual behavior is “unnatural” and unacceptable in the eyes of God…in other words, not negotiable. Wright made that plain, so the SBC’s position didn’t change, which is probably what his partners in dialogue wanted, the better to make the SBC even more a pariah in as many demographic blocs as possible. The predictable comparison to the totally inane “apology” of 1995, which the leaders of the largest black Baptist denominations laughed to scorn, was made, though Wright was too polite to give it the proper “apples-to-oranges” treatment (or at least I don’t think he did). The proper question for Wright to have asked was simply, “Why don’t you go to churches which not only welcome you but affirm you?” Such churches are plentiful. Or, he might have suggested that they start churches for homosexuals, probably possible only in communities large enough from which to fashion a congregation. The approach to Wright could backfire, uniting people of all faiths against what any serious believer knows is an abomination to God.
Jim

Postby Alan Carter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:25 am

I agree with what you are saying but I only know of two semi-Baptist churches in Dallas that welcome and affirm. Most in the pew Baptists cannot bring themselves to honestly and openly welcome gay people. They have started their own churches but if I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that they need to start their own churches where homosexuality and gayness are considered sins and preached against. That probably isn't going to happen but at least the thought is there.

At least we're all talking and that should prove helpful in the days to come.
Alan Carter

Postby Jim » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:24 pm

I meant that homosexuals would do well to start their own churches, in which they can welcome and affirm each other and stop trying to bend all other churches out of shape over what they consider political correctness mainly, but other churches, in the SBC for instance, consider a biblical matter. And Baptist denominations/churches are not the only ones on the planet. Many churches within denominations, though prohibited officially, welcome, affirm, ordain and carry out same-sex unions of whatever kind they design. Whole denominations like the UCC, Alliance of Baptists probably, and the Episcopalians are gung-ho for this stuff. So, the LBGT (or whatever it’s called) gang makes it a virtual crusade to go after the entities that don’t want this stuff – sort of “in your face.” Since it makes no sense, it’s just mean-spirited…but I bet it’s more fun.
Jim

Postby Haruo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:26 pm

Where did Jesus tell the Samaritan woman at the well to repent? Where did he say to her "sin no more"? These are rhetorical questions meant to suggest that "sexual purity" is not the place to begin dialogue with the "sexually impure". (I'm not suggesting she was GLBT!)

Bryant Wright's implication that seriousness, committedness, and monogamy in homosexual relationships are to be disregarded and those relationships to be equated with one-night stands and casual pairings among heterosexual couples is also a big part of the reason that the dialogue has yet really to be joined.

Incidentally, Alan, what does "semi-Baptist" mean as a description of Dallas-area churches? I have a vision of a church that insists on half-immersion as a baptismal mode, but I'm sure that's not what you mean, just not sure what you do mean.

These "gay leaders" by and large do already go to churches that welcome and affirm them without condemning their sexuality out of hand. (This does not mean that they or their churches believe that they are not sinners, or that all sexual behavior is acceptable in God's sight. And it does not mean that they overlook Christ, the OT writers, or Paul in their study of these issues. From reading the over a number of years, this is quite obvious, as well as from having attended for a year, a decade or so back.) Their stated concern is for those other GLBT people who are being harmed and driven away from God by endemic gay-hating behavior and speech in SBC (and other fundamentalist) churches. This is a fact of life, and a major impediment to evangelizing our neighborhoods.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Alan Carter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:14 pm

Well, let's see. In Texas we have semi-Baptist churches that are "lightly Baptist" or "barely Baptist" meaning that barely subscribe to those things which make Baptists distinctive. Usually they laugh at inerrancy, have women pastors and deacons, social drink, and usually are more welcoming of gay members than the more traditional Baptist churches. I would consider Royal Lane Baptist Church and Wilshire Baptist Church to be semi-Baptist and First Baptist and Prestonwood to be more traditional. In regards to gay folks, FBC and Prestonwood are much more homophobic than any others I know of in our region.
Alan Carter

Postby Haruo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:42 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:33 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Alan Carter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:19 pm

I have no problem with gay people starting their own churches where they can affirm and love each other but I doubt seriously they would ever start one where being gay is called a sin. I think what some of our SBC leaders are trying to say is that we need to be less homophobic in the things we say and do toward gay people--and that doesn't mean that we accept their lifestyle--just their right to be able to come into our churches without being discriminated against. I think there is a huge difference between a gay militant demanding a place at the table in our Baptist churches and a believer who is not "out" and sits in the pews and operates in leadership while he/she struggles with their gayness. I imagine they get tired of homophobic statements from the hallways and the pulpits and I think we owe them a certain amount of decency and decorum. I don't have to endorse their lifestyle to be nice to them. Personally, I appreciate Dr. Mohler and others who have come out of the closet on this issue.
Alan Carter

I liked Haruo's anacronym

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:01 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to SBC News and Trends