[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Sovereign Grace's C.J. Mahaney and Mohler

Sovereign Grace's C.J. Mahaney and Mohler

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Sovereign Grace's C.J. Mahaney and Mohler

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:51 pm

Last edited by Gene Scarborough on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Re: Sovereign Grace's C.J. Mahoney and Mohler

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Ed: While I do not know Mahaney and I am not a fan of Mohler, from the article it does seem they share a number of negative attributes .

It does however seem that Gene Scarborough has invented something beyond what their official detractors have charged in the story to which he has linked.
I will give Gene credit for using his name in his note to the CJ.

Where I still a Southern Baptist I would be demanding that the convention examine very closely Mohler's relationships with individuals and organizations not related to the Southern Baptist family. In other words I wonder if they are getting what they pay for so very handsomely.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Having just attended back-to-back Acts 29 services, which I assume to be more or less Sovereign Grace oriented—correct me if I'm wrong, I'm fascinated with this story and hope to read more, and more substantively, on it soon.

Or maybe I'm wrong in my guess that Mark Driscoll is kind of pro-Mohler etc.

PS Ed's right on the spellcheck this time, it is Mahaney, not (as Gene has it) Mahoney. Makes a difference when Googling.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:30 pm

Ed Pettibone

Re: Sovereign Grace's C.J. Mahaney and Mohler

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:18 am

Thanks for the spelling correction and it is right now, I believe. I just checked the article again this morning and responses have doubled quickly.

I know very little outside what several blogs and comments say. At this point there appear to be some allegations of mostly power and control of people and money with a little hint of possible misconduct. The story I conveighed was known and real life. The confessions of sexual misconduct happened during a revival when the preacher and one of his paramores came forward to confess their sinful relationship.

Of course, the church folks were not in a forgiving mood and, like most dedicated followers of Baptists, shot their wounded! The man had obvious control and morality issues. My problem is that he was a known womanizer back where he came from, yet because of his conservative links and theology---he got the personal recommendation of W.A. Criswell. I advised the Pulpit Committee it would be wise to call the DOM there along with several other Pastors in his Association to get a better picture. They simply trusted Criswell only and that was as far as they researched.

The power of influence got them a royal scandal. The man immediately put his name on the church sign as, "Pastor / Teacher / Counselor." His first move was to close over the little window in his Study door saying he needed privacy and confidentiality with the women he counseled. He invited any who needed help to come and it all ended with 3-4 women involved with him before his "confession" from his own lips in front of the church. Even worse, his wife knew all about his ways and was willing to keep quiet and let it go as "that's the way he is."

It sounds like a fantasy, but I can assure you it was not and that church took a great hit---because of their conservative presentation, it strangely went away and no one brought charges against Criswell for recommending a womanizer who was living some 4 states away from his ultimate "outing." I see similarities with the Priests who molested children just getting a move to another place far away to do it again.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:31 am

by Gene Scarborough » 13 Jul 2011, 04:18
Thanks for the spelling correction and it is right now, I believe

Ed: Uh Gene, You changed the the header ok but the 1st line of your comment in the first post still says Mahoney. :wink:
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:46 am

Thanks, Ed---just changed that too.

You are the ever vigilent reader and how I wish my spellchecker worked in this application. If you can tell me how to make that happen, I would appreciate it!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Haruo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:30 pm

One way is to type your posts in Word or whatever, where the spellchecker functions, then when you have it the way you want it, copy/paste it into the BaptistLife text box.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:07 pm

My daughter's computer which is a couple of years newer applies spellcheck to this---but your suggestion would certainly work. Sometimes I use words and constructions even spellchecker doesn't recognize, but it gives me a reason to go to the dictionary!!! Old fashioned is hard to totally beat!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Neil Heath » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:37 pm

No need to use another program, Haruo. I use Firefox as my browser, and it checks the spelling of every post I make. It's not a new addition, it has been a part of the program for some time now.

Neil
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:55 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Ed: For some reason with the latest version of Fire Fox my spell check is quirky, it disappears in part and i have to reset it. But sometime I simply go to search and type in what I think it is or should be. If I am wrong it gives me the correct spelling and ways to use the word. When I say spell check disappears "in part", it tell me when the word is misspelled but does not give the me the correction. Really I lost part of the FF tool bar. I have been tempted to just go back to IE. But I am more comfortable with Fire Fox.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:09 am

Thanks for the advice and spell check info---my daughter has Firefox so that explains it.

Bottome line: which is most important---having perfect spelling / having good intelligent discussion----of which we haven't had much on this topic so let's get back to it as the story unfolds over religious control of followers vs. the personal activities of the leaders.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Neil Heath » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:29 am

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:34 am

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:35 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:08 pm

Safari also applies spell checking.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:06 pm

Thanks for all the diversion to computer problems and spelling!

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Neil Heath » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:15 pm

Sorry for the thread drift, Gene. Maybe we need a forum for tech talk at times.

To answer your question and get back on track, I don't have an update either.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:32 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:53 pm

Somebody who knows the topic should go into and improve it to the point that the tag about noteworthiness can be removed. Be sure to maintain strong NPOV and all. I'd do it myself, but I have other eggs frying, and it would take a few hours.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:33 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Alan Carter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:56 am

The good buddy system was in place long before Charles Stanley came on the scene. Its always been there but the CR brought it to the forefront. It will always be there because friends recommend their friends and that isn't going to change. People love to throw around charges about a person's personality traits and then say he/she isn't "accountable" or "remorseful" or "hasn't repented" to justify their wanting control and power over the person they are condemning. People on blogs are masters of deciding whether someone has "truly repented" of something and that's not really their position in life. I dislike as much as the next person the way some of the mega-church pastors are behaving but I've seen it in small church pastors and deacons and elders just as well. Its not limited to those at the top of the numbers game or on one side of the aisle or the other. I can assure you that there are more than enough manipulators on the liberal side and the conservative side to go around and make us all equally sick.
Alan Carter

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Alan Carter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:17 am

We have now come full circle as a nation. Check this one out: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1KAHVQ.DTL
Alan Carter

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends