[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - A Reading List for Alan Carter

A Reading List for Alan Carter

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

A Reading List for Alan Carter

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:46 pm

Ed; Since Alan thinks some of us are being picky in our objection to Al Mohlers tweet,

I seriously wonder how much Alan c. know about Al or the SBTS or the SBC and the Ultra conservative/ fundamentalist takeover.

Here is some reading for Alan

1. Exiled Voices of the Southern Baptist Convention Holy War Edited by Carl L. Kell, The University of Tennessee Press, Knoxville TN. 2006

2, BEYOND The IMPASSE Edited by Robinson B.Jamees & David Dockery, Broadman Press, Nashville, Tn. 1992

3. The New SBC Fundmentalism's impact On The Southern Baptist Convention, By Grady C. Cothen. Smyth & Helwys Publishing. Macon Ga. 1995

4. The Godmakers A Legacy of the Southern Baptist Convention, By Bruce T Gourley, Providence House Publishers, Franklin,TN. 1996
Bruce is the owner of Baptistlife.com

5. A Hill on Which to Die ONE Southern Baptist's Journey, The Broaman & Holman Publishers, Nashville, TN. 1999

6. The Betrayal ...of Southern Baptist Missionaries by Southern Baptist Leaders 1979 - 2004, Self Published, John W. Merritt Forward by Keith Parks

7. GOD's LAST and ONLY HOPE The Fragmentation of the Southern Baptist Convention, EErdmans Publishing, Grand Rapids Mi. 1990

Alan, lets talk when you have read a couple of these. I will be gone for two weeks attending the CBF Assembly in Tampa Fl.
Ed Pettibone

Re: A Reading List for Alan Carter

Postby Alan Carter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:03 pm

I'm not sure why you are so possessed with what I have read and know and understand. I have read the majority of the books you mentioned and I know a great deal about what you call the CR. No need to be condescending. Just enjoy life as Christian brothers.
Alan Carter

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:00 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:23 pm

I've read every book on your list. Besides that, I've never been a fan of Mohler, who IMHO is somewhat of an opportunist within the SBC. But I don't really see a problem with his statement related to former congressman Wiener.

Some of that booklist is a bit one sided, other than the obvious "Hill on Which to Die." Bruce Gourley's objectivity aside, Leonard and Cothen both have an axe to grind, having been deposed from their elitist royal kingdom when the Conservative Resurgence swept in and replaced the prominent and privileged entrenched leadership of the SBC. They got a bit frumped up over losing the ability to pull strings and peddle influence and their writing often reflects that. The new kingdoms that they've set up since are not nearly as large, and are not able to provide either the number of important jobs or the salary level. I think that makes them slightly biased.

It's interesting that you listed "A Hill of Which to Die" among this booklist. I guess that's an attempt at balance. It is an appropriate listing, among similar literature of a similar category, written from a similar perspective.
Sandy

Postby Blake » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Ed, I don't think he's tried to rewrite the CR/FT. He's only posted 12 times and most have nothing to do with the CR/FT. Give the guy a break and calm down a bit. I like keeping new people around until we can establish whether or not they're going to contribute or troll.
"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Alan Carter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:20 pm

Guys, all I wanted to do was have a good time and write comments here and there. I have no desire to rehash the conservative resurgence or liberals or conservatives or women preachers or deacons. I enjoy reading the comments on here and like to put my two cents worth here and there. I see no need to write you a biographical sketch but just so you know, I am a Southern Baptist Christian brother and hope you can accept me at that. BTW, I've read way more than those books mentioned and know enough to be done with the war among conservatives and liberals.
Alan Carter

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Sandy, please point me to specific examples that demonstrate Leonard has an "axe to grind" in his historical analysis of SBC history via God's Last and Only Hope.

I'm sure I've read and studied that book more than anyone who has commented thus far - would love to discuss it.

Several of the books listed are more or less memoirs and in a completely different category than Leonard's book.

Also, I must admit I did a bit of a double-take when I saw the title of this thread. Surely, I thought, Fox not Ed had started it! :wink:
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:27 pm

Ed: Speaking of Leonard's GOD's LAST & and ONLY HOPE Aaron Weave wrote " I'm sure I've read and studied that book more than anyone who has commented thus far - would love to discuss it."

Aaron I am not sure how we could prove who has read "that Book" the most. But I don't think any one has quoted from it on these boards any more than I.

My first read was when I took Bill's course The Southern Baptist Convention in the Summer of 1990 at SBTS and HOPE was the primary text ( the ink was hardly dry) and we each had to write a review of it. The grader didn't care for my criticism of the Levi Barton quote that Leonard started with on the fly page. I used to go back to HOPE rather often, And I always include it when I recommend reading on the controversy. It is as good a starting point as any I know. You would probably out score me on a test of exact content since I haven't re read the whole of it for at least three years. That may because I prefer books with an alphabetical Index. But when I am working at my computer HOPE is always within arms reach.
Ed Pettibone

Return to SBC News and Trends