[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Mohler wants to convert Weiner

Mohler wants to convert Weiner

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Mohler wants to convert Weiner

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Does this headline

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/1 ... ?hpt=hp_c2

mean Mohler is a "top evangelical", or the top evangelical? In either case, I wish Mohler could learn to MYOB, and to keep his irrelevant opinions to himself.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: Mohler wants to convert Weiner

Postby Alan Carter » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:27 pm

I thought it was pretty thoughtful and considerate of Al Mohler. Perhaps we should all come to a greater conviction that Jesus really is the answer.
Alan Carter

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:48 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:21 pm

Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:27 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Chris » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:51 pm

Chris

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:44 pm

I don't think Mohler typed that tweet for Weiner. He was preaching to his Twitter followers. The whole "Dear So and So" is a little annoying in my opinion.

I see people do it often on Facebook, generally for the purpose of making some smart :censored: remark or complaint.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Sandy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:44 pm

Ed: Sandy I am the author of the the post that you attribute to "Big Daddy Weaver ". When you say "As the president of a theological seminary, which has a larger community constutuency, he (Mohler) does carry some authority with regard to expressing an interpretation of such highly public actions from a Biblical, theological perspective." Of what larger "community constituency are you speaking? His pronouncements have "some authority" assigned by whom? As SBTS alums Trudy and I are a part of his constituency, at least that is the position he takes when the Seminary sends us a copy of the Southern Seminary Magazine. And I have no respect for his authority anywhere other than on the Southern Seminary property and that is granted by the trustees.

I am inclined to agree with both you and Aaron Weaver that in the Tweet, Al was preaching to the choir . And using the formal salutation to which Aaron objected, in an attempt to address a different audience smacks of subterfuge to me.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:35 am

I think Mohler is just doing another "shallow Mohler" comment which would more wisely have been addressed to the far wider problem of public morality these days. Also he knew the Congressman was Jewish and, in a way, is demeaning his faith and religious tradition as if Southern Baptists are always on the high ground of Christianity---NOT!

By making a sexual indescreation the object of derision, he ignores all the lies and hatred obsessing those in the Conservative Resurgence takeover. Right now Patterson is using every trick in the book to dispossess the Terence Association from their building on the SWBTS campus. That despite clear agreements of how the Seminary and Association had a legal agreement over the building. It seems, no agreement is above destruction when men like Mohler and Patterson are "rightously" involved.

By hook or crook they roll over people doing their thing!

According to his constituents, Weiner has been a strong voice advocating for solutions to the Economic Disaster. Yet, Mohler can only see his personal failure. This, in my view, is self-serving and trite. It borders on the way Franklin Graham is advocating for a certain political party over following his father's example of being a minister to all parts of the political scene.

You don't gain respect for your integrity and compassion with such approaches.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Alan Carter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:31 am

Sounds to me like a lot of people are just looking for a nit to pick. Its not very becoming to say the least.
Alan Carter

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:20 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Alan Carter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:49 am

I thought it was pretty cool. At least he was thinking about his eternal destiny. Just heard on the news that Weiner is resigning so that should calm things down and maybe he can get some good BIBLICAL counseling.
Alan Carter

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:07 am

Chris

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:24 am

If Al is serious about converting the Congressman, he needs to seek him out, form a relationship with a fallen soul, and then begin to let the Holy Spirit work through him. Al seems to be advocating a "hit and run" conversion.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:38 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:21 pm

A bunch of stuff we don't understand about Weiner----too little known for anyone to prance around giving him the pontifiction given by Al Mohler.

If you don't know a person, you certainly can't be his judge / jury / executioner. That seems to be the position of too many commenting on this. Give the man a break---King David was both the worst and best of political leaders.

I was new to Loris, SC, when John Jenerette got caught in the "Arabscam" scandal---caught on tape and video taking a bribe for Arabs to do their bidding in Congress. Before that he was photoed with a lovely Jessica Rice going out deep sea fishing. He had a wife lovely enough to become a Playboy Certerfold, but he was obviously thinking with the wrong head.

My first day in town I visited the funeral home caty-cornered from me to find my new acquaintance, George Jones, talking on the phone with high level Democrats in SC. He happened to be the Treasurer for William Jennings Bryan Dorn's Campaign for the US Senate. The jist of the conversation I heard was that Jenerette, a Loris native, had cooked his own goose and nothing could be done to save him from political slaughter. He, like John Edwards, had the carisma of a JFK, but lived in a day when you could not get by with the hanky-panky of JFK with women and money---unless you are a Republican.

It seems we want to have morally "perfect" politicians when the very nature of current politics is a pretense of sanctity with so many bribes and high-powered influence you cannot exist long if you are totally honest.

Ah, the dilemma of office and the lusty women who want to bed a politician!!!! God help us!!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Mohler, John Edwards and Clarence Darrow

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:04 pm

I generally agree with Gene S first comment above Mohler still is in need of repentance about the particulars of how he came to his platform at SBTS. I remind folks here what Gushee and Carey Newman said about SBTS in 94 during the Mohler Covenant: God is not in this place.
Weiner went down a wrong path; had some flaws Like JFK, and LBJ, and God Knows what kinda tweeting Paul Bear Bryant and George Wallace woulda done had they had the internet.

Where Mohler could do some bigger thinking is in regard Dochuk's history in From the BibleBelt to the Sunbelt and ask the John Farrell question raised in a reconsideration of John Edwards given what insrtuction a consideration of the arc of Clarence Darrow's life has to offer.
If you could put Mohler's world back to the 1890's or in Dayton during the Scopes trial, I don't see an Al Mohler making much headway. Same for the contest between Pressler's family man coke Stevenson vs LBJ in the 48 Senate Race. In the larger sins of the Country, Mohler is less than Clarence Darrow; and maybe less than John Weiner and John Edwards, for sure Bill Clinton.
At least that seems to me what Carey Newman and Gusheee thought in 94 in Louisville, especially had they the insight Farrell offers here:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/56287.html

I hope some of you will add this promising bio to your reading list this summer.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:35 pm

Thanks, Stephen---from the bottom of my heart for the kudo!!!

At our core I think we are both men of ethical integrity. My daddy used to say, "It's no how high you jump but how straight you walk when you hit the ground that counts!"

Sadly, too many of our SBC leaders are walking like drunks these days---or like Pharisees drunk on the wine brought as a "first fruit" gift to God---but enjoyed in abundance by his "representatives" in their fine robes and philacteries.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Re: Mohler, John Edwards and Clarence Darrow

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:09 pm

Jim---you are a true Republican / Moral Majority------------------idiot!!!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Jim is no idiot

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:10 pm

He's a grand poet and served the country well as a Railroad man. And he tells great stories about his adventures.

He's just out to lunch too often on the SBC thing.

I count Jim as a friend, even though he gets under my skin on occasion, as I do others.

As a railroad man I trust the Holy Spirit will lead him this summer to read about another great railroad man, Clarence Darrow.

Jim Reads and appreciates Ron Rash.

Jim is in the Lamb's Book of Life, just a different chapter than where my name is recorded; different ledger, column; you get the picture.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:57 pm

Chris

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:04 am

Ed: Chris, I found at least one use w/o the s, but it is a proper name. Shizuka Kudo is a Japanese singer and pop idol born in Hamura, Tokyo. She debuted as member no. 38 of the Onyanko Club in May 1986 and went on to a successful solo career with 11 no.1 hits . :wink:
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:34 am

We are ALL God's children!!

We are having fun correcting and challenging one another. I welcome those who differ with me. Probably tend to be more blunt than some others who dare not offend anyone.

2 of my uncles were Railroad Men and they were both company men who knew a train was a very dangerous thing if not inspected and controlled properly---kind of like Government / Church!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends