[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Jerry Vines reads Dr. Thornton's Blog

Jerry Vines reads Dr. Thornton's Blog

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Jerry Vines reads Dr. Thornton's Blog

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:33 pm

Congrats to Dr.Thornton. And I do give him kudos for his fun blog on Pastoral Alliteration.

Was surfing and stopped by and noticed none other than Jerry Vines himself made a comment.

Our Friend William Thornton of Barrow County is a blogger of influence is at the next level.

http://sbcplodder.blogspot.com/2011/06/ ... ation.html

I once got a comment from Randall Balmer on my blog. And five years ago when I started in the blogging world David Flick made a comment.

A poet from state of Washington first noticed Kate Campbell's appreciation for his poem on Emily Dickinson and Elvis at my blog and Kate got wind of it.

And a friend of Denzel Washington checks in every other year or so.

But never got a comment from Jerry Vines.

Historic moment and I thought his friends here would want to know as he is too humble a fellow to make notice on his own account. :D :wink:
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Jerry Vines reads Dr. Thornton's Blog

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:14 pm

I've known Jerry Vines since he was at Second Baptist in Cedartown GA in the early '60s, before anybody heard of him. He preached a couple of revivals at Second Baptist in Rockmart GA when Bobby Perry was pastor there and I was in elementary school, back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth. Pastored in the same association with him when he was at West Rome and I was at FBC Shannon.
Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:40 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:30 am

I have never met or known an "humble" Mega Church Pastor!!!

Their position requires an obsession to control / their staff walks in fear of firing / they never make under a 6-figure income.

I could care less about the "honor" of being read by one even though my last name is the same as the famous L.R. Scarborough and my Grandmother Scarborough was a Graham and distantly related to Billy---it means nothing when we stand before God in judgement.

The "great ones" have to go to the same public bathrooms we visit and when I held the funeral for the Speaker of the House in SC at Loris, that thought gave me solice as Strom Thurmond / the Governor / and the entire SC body of Representatives sat before me. We were there to honor God and the deceased---who happened to be a good and humble servant of his State. His name is on no bridge or building at the University of SC. The owner of a Piggly-Wiggly store just makes his customers happy and charges fair prices for food!!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Alan Carter » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:01 am

Why is it that so many blogs are constantly filled with derision for mega church pastors? They are men just like the rest of us and have their faults and weaknesses like all men. We need to remember that the pastors of smaller churches are many times responsible for their elevation to star-like status. I have a feeling that many pastors are constantly faulting the mega-church pastors because they are irritated that they aren't one of them.

Remember being a mega-church pastor has tons of responsibilities and difficulties but someone has to do it. Sometimes I just wish that someone was me. I'm sure I could remain humble and contrite with a six figure salary and all the other perks.
Alan Carter

Postby Jim » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:22 am

Jim

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:58 am

Ed Pettibone

Joining Scarborough's Humility Club

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:17 am

:D :brick: :D :brick:

In the vein of Ed P makes a rare great point about humility :)

As I have said before I claim discovery of the Actress Andie MacDowell when I was safety patrol 6th grader at Central Elementary School in Gaffney, S.C. when Rosie (Andie) was in 1st grade. Andie had a recent devotional in Guideposts magazine and has become great friends of one of Billy Graham's daughters. So, Pickens County aside, I figure I'm tighter with the Graham family than Scarborough, though I haven't seen Andie since 78. But I hear she is a Facebook friend of my Brother. :D :brick:

Stephen Fox

Lamar, Vines and me at 1990 SBC in New Orleans

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:26 am

http://www.jerryvines.com/blog/the-1969 ... onference/

Vines blog of the last few days has been remembrances of Southern Baptist Conventions that have stood out for him since 1969. It has been interesting to look at some of these from his perspective. Even moreso to see how he uses Charles Kell's book on SBC rhetoric as something of an apologia for the CR.

That Said about three months ago I came across video of the 1990 SBC; Vines with the Gavel and Jesse Helms operative Barry McCarty as parliamentarian. Good Baptist drama on videotape the Tuesday afternoon or Weds afternoon session featuring Lamar Wadsworth and myself on microphones, and Roy Honeycutt's address to which half the crowd gave thundering applause and standing ovation, shutting the place down. Vines was cool throughout on tape motioning to the song director to get some singing going cause things were getting out of control.
Sweet Time in Jesus it was :brick:

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:46 pm

Chill, gentlemen, just chill out!!!!

I have said it the best I know how.

Jesus clearly said, "The first shall be last and the last shall be first / he who is the servant of all will be greatest."

Why do so many have a problem with what I said and choose to (try and be) demeaning rather than debate the issue?????

Is your own "humility" pretended or real????
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Interesting column on Vines

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:24 pm

From current editor of Christian Ethics Today, new editor Pat Anderson.

You may have to scroll down just a tad; online page two of this issue, just scroll down little from front page

http://christianethicstoday.com/PDF/CET_Issue_082.pdf

Stephen Fox

Return to SBC News and Trends