[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Time to Reimagine School Prayer?

Time to Reimagine School Prayer?

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Time to Reimagine School Prayer?

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:06 am

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Time to Reimagine School Prayer?

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:31 am

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Not claiming to have Resolution here

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:28 am

But to be the Devil's Advocate, I doubt James Dunn's Momma and Daddy gave a 2nd thought to the many prayers publicly uttered at his Baccalaureate service and graduation in East Texas, nor Stanley Hauerwas for that matter when he rode to their graduation with Bailey Smith in North Dallas in 56.

I have been reading some recently the series of essays conflating King and Bonhoeffer and their "cruciform communitarianism". Without some common language as the the reimaginer notions, what is the glue.

At same time I understand the captive audience argument of our friends at BJC.

May be some wiggle room to advance an ethic of hospitality in these matters as opposed to further risking the reputation of nitpicking community to its nubbins. Should be some room there without making TexRegs and Citizen Council Birchers out of all of us.

For me I say President Obama enacts 30 years of Marvin Gaye renditions of What's Going On at all Public School Graduations until we get it figgered out.

Just a thought, may change my mind in 20 minutes.

There is an interesting essay on Dewey, King and DB in the Jenkins/McBride collection. In meantime once more I extend the public invitation to BDW in particular to navigate my various musings and links on Noll at public policy forum

Stephen Fox

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:58 am

God Bless Angela Hildenbrand, the school's valedictorian. The right here Mr. Gardner was the right to free speech. And Ledewits's appeal to the Lee vs Wiesman is not well taken in that the cited case was about the school inviting a cleric to pray not in their allowing a student to pray.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Ed has a point about Lee v. Weisman. The Weisman decision was indeed about clergy-led prayer.

Yet, Andrew Gardner did not mention Lee v. Weisman in his EthicsDaily.com column.

There is another ruling that is most relevant here: Santa Fe Independent School District v. Doe (2000)

The Doe decision held that a policy permitting student-led, student-initiated prayer at high school football games violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.

While the Supreme Court has not heard a case involving student-led prayer at GRADUATION, the Santa Fe decision clearly rejects the idea that if a prayer comes from a student, there is no problem.
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:52 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:19 pm

My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Andrew Gardner responds

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:47 pm

Stephen Fox

Postby HowellS » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:29 pm

HowellS

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:03 am

A couple of authors - Barry Hankins and Andrew Hogue - have shown that Richard Land's views about church-state issues have changed since he took over the ERLC. Hankins documents that change in his book Uneasy in Babylon with regard to the Istook school prayer amendment in the late 90s.

My comment is based on what I remember from reading Land's The Divided States of America a few years back.
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Casey Mattox, Free Speech and Pellissippi State

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:46 pm

http://blogs.christianpost.com/liberty/ ... ollege-10/

I was Casey's substitute teacher from 6th Grade through 12th in Collinsville. He had stellar group of insular friends in High School for a small town including later to be Yale Div Grad, three UVA grads, Auburn and U Bama Honors Grads and a Duke Grad who befriended Bishop Willimon, then Duke Chaplain.

I am disappointed to see he veer from the Baptist Joint Committee toward SBC Peace Committee Charles Pickering's Allied Defense Fund.
Got a text today to say Casey made soundbyte on the Christian Radio Network of Focus on the Family.

15 miles up the road from Casey's roots, the church where Bobby Welch was baptized produced Cherilyn Crowe, Vandy grad now on staff with Baptist Joint Committee.
So in a sense it's all in the neighborhood.

Stephen Fox

Rick Perry's Texas/Pickering and ADF

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:16 am

http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispa ... E2%80%99s/

BDW. If you have a take on the above link, speak for Baylor Church state wisdom and put it in the perspective, context of Allied Defense Fund. How do you handicap Pickering's ADF as shadow of BJC on these matters. Is ADF legitimate alternative voice to BJC. Is there any virtue to them> What is their greatest flaw>

Stephen Fox

Return to SBC News and Trends