[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - SBC Seminary Enrollments

SBC Seminary Enrollments

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: SBC Seminary Enrollments

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:12 pm

Ed: Gene where did you find a list of SE Faculty with where they attended college and Seminary. The list i found on the schools web site only listed their names and what they teach.

In the SEBTS publication on the school and its courses and Professors---write to them for such, if you please.

Ed: Gene I hardly consider a second or third hand verbal account a "clear example".

This is "first hand" per a conversation in the last few years at the Hardee's Restaurant in Wake Forest as I stopped in for breakfast on the way to N. Raleigh!

Ed: And SEBTS is one of Six SBC Seminaries. I would still like to see that list. I did find the educational back grounds for current Mid Western Proffs. There is one with an undergrad degree from Liberty, a M.Div. From Southwestern and a PH.D. from Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion. In Fact they have two with Ph.D's from HUC-JIR. From personal experience I can assure you that is no fundamentalist leaning institution. It is where Trudy got her second masters. I did not see any from Criswell at any level. By far the majority of degrees held by Mid Western faculty are from Southwestern but also Yale, Princeton, Cambridge and Oxford among others are represented.

The school from which any professor gets his degree is no guarantee of his pedigree. We both should know there is now the BF&M mandate to be signed and that is hardly a non-fundamentalist document! It is full of inerrency and a demeaning of women called, as your wife, to preach. Anyone given a position at an SBC seminary must "toe the line" of inerrency.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Blake » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:15 pm

SEBTS stats on where profs in different departments received their doctoral degrees from:

Theology (3)
SBC In House: 3

History (5)
SBC In House: 1
One from each of the following schools: AR, KY, Aberdeen, and UNC.

Bible (17)
SBC In House: 9
One from each of the following schools: Duke, Basel, UCLA, TEDS, TX @ Arlington, DTS, Brandeis, and Gloucestershire.

Philosophy (4)
One from each of the following schools: Texas A&M, TX @ Arlington, and Oxford.

Ethics (3)
One from each of the following schools: Drew and VA.

Ministry (18)
SBC In House: 9
One from each of the following schools: California School of Professional Psychology, Western Seminary, George Fox, Boston University, North Texas, Westminster Theological Seminary, UNC, MD and LSU.

SEBTS Total In House over Total: 24/50

For fun let's do Southern and Southwestern too.

SBTS
Ministry (29)
SBC In House: 16
Two people have doctoral degrees from TEDS and North Texas. Individuals come from the following schools: Reformed Theological Seminary, Duke, Oregon State, MI, OR, Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary, Michigan State, Covenant Theological Seminary, and South Africa. Three people have two doctoral degrees. Two have one of their degrees from an SBC seminary the others come from Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary and Cambridge. The other prof has his from TEDS and South Africa. The profs with dual doctoral degrees are not noted in the tabulations so people can decide themselves how to tabulate them.

Bible (13)
SBC In House: 5
One from each of the following schools: Fuller, Basel, Hebrew Union College, Baylor, Toronto, Columbia University, St. Andrews (Scotland), and Princeton.

Theology (5)
SBC In House: 2
Two from TEDS and one from Fuller.

History (6)
SBC In House: 3
One from each of the following schools: Emory, Toronto and Chicago.

Philosophy and Ethics (3)
One from Vanderbilt and Cambridge.

SBTS Total In House over Total: 26/56

SWBTS
Ministry (51)
SBC In House: 29
Two people received doctoral degrees from the following institutions: USC, Cincinnati and North Texas. One from each of the following schools: LSU, OK, IL, UT, City University of New York, IN, UNC, SC, Missouri @ Kansas City, Texas Woman's University, Texas A&M, DTS, Chicago, Wales, Texas @ Arlington, Union Institute and University. Seven people have two doctoral degrees and there figures will not be counted in the tabulations so that others can choose how to tabulate them. Two of those have one doctoral degree from an SBC seminary and North Texas, one from an SBC seminary and Southern Mississippi, one from South Africa and TEDS, one has both from Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary, one from South Africa and Luther Rice Seminary, and one from Texas @ Arlington and Gordon-Conwell.

Theology (10)
SBC In House: 6
One from the following schools: DTS, Marburg, Aberdeen, and Oxford. One person has dual doctoral degrees from Aberdeen and DTS. That person has not been tabulated.

Bible (15)
SBC In House: 6
Two have degrees from DTS. One from each of the following schools: TEDS, Dropsie, Johns Hopkins, AZ, Yale, Cambridge and Aberdeen.

History (5)
Two from TEDS and one from Princeton.

Philosophy and Ethics (5)
One from each of the following schools: Illinois @ Chicago, Baylor and Boston University.

SWBTS Total SBC In House over Total: 45/86
"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Ed: Forgive me Blake but if I ever know what TEDS is, it has escaped me. Wait I think maybe I have it, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, right?

2nd question and a couple comments, when you say SBC in house does that mean any of the six SBC seminaries ? If so you really need to also give the date the degree was received.
A. When asked where I attended Seminary I often say the old SBTS, pre Mohler, graduated 1992. I often qualify Trudy's SBTS graduation with "during the last half Mohler's first 6 years as president" and most of her professors where hired by Roy Honeycutt. Many of the professors in her 1995 -96 Catalog are professors that where thee when I went back in 1990. She had a couple Mohler hires who did not stay long when they saw what was happening to Godly colleagues who predated them by several years. Her professor of So. Baptist History told the class he was working hard to stay ahead of them because "most of this is as new to me as it is to you" All the new SBTS profs had to become southern Baptist, at least by church membership. For some this was a brand new experience. Mohler's prime reformation scholar joined an Armenian Baptist congregation that was dully aligned with CBF and SBC.

B. Southern's takeover was not complete till at least 98 and it was the last. Gene's Southeastern was the first to hit the skids, New Orleans was next but they did not have as far to go and did not go as far as some. Southwestern was next then Midwestern, And Golden Gate

And to the chagrin of some of my moderate friends I do not believe any of them of them are BAD schools. But neither do I believe any of them are l good Baptist Schools except for the fundamentalist/ultraconservative fringe.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:12 pm

Sandy

Postby Blake » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:26 pm

"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks for the detailed insights guys!!!

The more details I read the more I think---INCEST!!!

When schools become monolithic in their composition = wall-to-wall ultra-conservative, then you no longer have a group of well-educated colleagues educating students in ALL aspects of Christianity. Instead you have INDOCTRINATION!

The SEBTS of my day (1967-70) had a cross-section of outlooks. Leo Green and John Wayland (for example) were as conservative as they come. On the other hand there were a couple of Professors you might call "left of center." In calling them such you must be careful as to whether they were simply exposing students another side of theology than the SS Board and BF&M.

How I wish each professor of mine would have taken off his tie, sat on the edge of his desk, and finished the course by saying, "I have exposed you to some new aspects of the faith, but this is why I am still a dedicatedd believer that Jesus is the Christ . . ."

I think most of them could have done such, but none did. This left many fragile students wondering what it was they could really believe and trust. At a graduate level of education you would think there would be enough maturity to "take it or leave it" instead of going for the jugular of any Professor not toeing of the line of BF&M---which is a more than conservative statement of faith.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends