Lethal Religion and SBC

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Lethal Religion and SBC

Postby linda » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:11 am

Way beyond a homemaker's training skill set, but just a question for those who want to know "what about those who never get a chance to respond to Christ because they never hear?"

God knows all, does He not? So maybe in His wisdom, knowing who would and would not respond, no one has ever "not heard" who would have responded by accepting Christ.

Perhaps all those who have not heard would only have rejected Him anyway.

Seems to grandma in the pew that Scripture stands--there is salvation in NO OTHER NAME.
Linda
linda

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:07 am

Thanks, Stephen---now you are contributing to the blog!

I don't appreciate your derision. Just because I was blessed with time on the wonderful red hills of PIckens County not too far from either Furman or Bob Jones University, doesn't mean you have to be jealous. Neither the fact I was President of the Emory University BSU the year Altizer gave everyone a headline. I and the Methodist Chaplain of the University were smart enough (along with many others) to get beyond Altizer's blathering and alcohol-breathed diatribe over what he was tring to say---but could not get across for lack of clarity at the colloquium!!!

Was Thomas J.J. any kin to you, my blathering brother????

The lady above is great and far above her pay grade to cite the real issue instead of wanting to demean me--- "What is the eternal destination of those who have never had a chance to hear the Gospel message?" Right on!!!!

What is the eternal destination also of the Fundies who took over the SBC and causing Bold Mission Thrust to bomb out?

In their "righteousness" we lost the Baptist TelNet satellite transponder whereby we COULD BROADCAST the Gospel message to any human on the planet with a C-band receiver. Instead we enegaged in some 10 years of bloodbath over the pretense of an Inerrant Bible. Good Baptist servant-pastors / professors were exorcized with lies and every good Seminary we had now is a "little Bob Jones / Criswell College / Liberty University place of indoctrination!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Alan Carter » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:54 am

Sorry but if I remember right there were lies and bloodletting on both sides of the aisle. We are all now paying the price for something that was disgusting from both sides of the issue. BTW, the issue was not inerrancy.
Alan Carter

Acoording to Paige and Paul

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:43 am

Patterson and Pressler the issue was inerrancy. I think there is general consensus on that.
Now whether that was a front from something esle as their crusade evolved, well, Alan that is where, if you are sincere you will run headlong to the nearest Barnes and Noble or decent Library and find a copy of Dochuk's From Biblebelt to Sunbelt.
See my various musings and links at the Mark Noll Review at public policy forum at this bl.com site.
As one who has a dog in the hunt for mega church pastors; I don't see how you can refrain from reading Dochuk this summer.

As for Gene and Pickens County, I've had several conversations with the Chair of the Pickens County Council. If you are truly interested in understanding the ideological evolution of the Pickens County Mindset, you'll join Poet Jim and myself into thorough reading of the works of Ron Rash.
Selah and Cya.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:49 pm

So Stephen---what does this bombast mean???? :horse:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

It means you should write less and Read More

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:00 pm

I know you are a busy fellow, but lot has been thought about since you had that class with Altizer at Emory when you were Prez of the BSU.

For starters way past time to get your local interlybury loan service working for you.

McBride and Jenkins collection of essays on Bonhoeffer.

2) Dochuk from BibleBelt to Sunbelt.

I hope I was clear in my meaning.

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:16 am

Steve, buddy----you still don't understand that sitting and reading all day isn't all I want to do nor have to do!

Never had a class with Altizer as he was in the Philosophy of Religion and I was a Psychology Major learning practical ways of helping people cope with their mental disorders. Philosophy has never appealed that much to me = bunch of special definitions and abstract stuff most people don't really care about. It's about ministry and help in practical ways over sitting and reading / blogging all day.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Kimball on the Regent U Factor

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:08 am

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/when-religio ... -cms-18049

Interesting tweak. Will be interesting to see how Paul Harvey blog Religion in America tacks on Kimball's stance here in light of the Mark Noll Review of God's Own Party.

Kimball's former colleague at Furman, Jim Guth had strong reservations about Sharlet's C Street book. Maybe time to bring Kimball back to Furman for a forum and add Noll as third with Guth, and or bring in Steven Miller. Would be quite worthwhile event in my opinion.

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:10 pm

Go Foxy---go---love the need for research when a good head on your shoulder suffices!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:21 pm

Your remarks would be more worthwhile if your material was updated just a tad :wink:

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:58 pm

Ah well---I'm just a Tree Surgeon these days working for a living over blogging for "whatever!!!!"
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends