[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Most prominent woman in SBC life

Most prominent woman in SBC life

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Most prominent woman in SBC life

Postby William Thornton » Thu May 12, 2011 10:38 am

Beth Moore doesn't count, she is a rock star bookseller.

What I'm asking is, what woman has the highest position in the SBC in any entity in any level of Southern Baptist life?
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Most prominant woman in SBC life

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu May 12, 2011 11:32 am

The SBC has a pretty awesome archivist who is a woman working in Nashville.

Beyond her, I'm stumped.

Are there really no female professors at any of the six seminaries?
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Blake » Thu May 12, 2011 12:02 pm

"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu May 12, 2011 12:46 pm

That's interesting. I would say that makes the Provost of Union the highest ranking female in Southern Baptist Higher Education. Then again, David Dockery is no raging fundamentalist either.

So, there are no females at that same level (Provost, VP, Dean, etc.) at any of the seminaries?

I wonder what women Mohler has hired in any capacity since getting rid of Molly Marshall and then Diana Garland.
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Blake » Thu May 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Some of the other universities/colleges have female provosts, but Union seemed to me to be the most powerful/influential/famous among the most Southern-Baptist-like colleges/universities. Which is to say Baylor's Elizabeth Davis wouldn't strike me as having more influence than these women even though Baylor is connected to the BGCT. Baylor is a Baptist university and isn't tied as tightly to the SBC as others are. I also didn't check every SBC affiliated college/university only the ones that seemed like the most well known (Union, Samford, Liberty, Boyce and a few others). So even if there were one with a female President or Chancellor I personally wouldn't think it would trump the power or influence of those listed. BTW, I thought it was a bit strange/maybe complementarian overkill that Judson College, a historically baptist women's college, has a male president.
"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Jerry_B » Thu May 12, 2011 3:11 pm

The most prominent woman...I would say Lottie Moon and Annie Armstrong. Not to be smart, but the effort to replace woman in seminaries and exclude from pastoral roles have left the SBC without woman of influence. I guess you could add Dot Patterson, but even among some SBC women I know she is viewed as a bit of an outlier if not downright weird.

From my perspective it is sad but in quiet moments with current SBC leadership I bet you find that this is exactly the way they wanted it all along.
Jerry_B

Dot Patterson/Ginny Brant

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu May 12, 2011 5:20 pm

Jerry B makes a good point about Dot Patterson.

I am looking forward to the transparent conversation with Anne Graham Lotz and Ginny Brant on these matters.
BDW here's a shout out. Invite Ginny out to Baylor for a chat, no kidding. Read her book and Steven Miller and Joe Crespino before you do however.

www.ginnybrant.com or google Finding True Freedom

IMB trustee and her father on the Executive Committee and SBTS trustees.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby David Montoya » Thu May 12, 2011 9:08 pm

David Montoya

Postby Blake » Thu May 12, 2011 11:39 pm

David, I don't see her listed anywhere on the BGCT website.
- Henry Adis
Blake

Re: Most prominent woman in SBC life

Postby David Montoya » Fri May 13, 2011 10:56 am

Blake,

I have no idea why the BGCT does not list her as chairperson of the executive board, however, here are some links which state she is:

http://texasbaptists.org/files/2011/04/ ... elease.pdf

http://www.baptiststandard.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=53

http://www.baptiststandard.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=53

She is listed on the BGCT/TBC website under executive board members.
Last edited by David Montoya on Tue May 17, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Montoya

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sat May 14, 2011 8:47 am

Good question, and interesting discussion. I wonder where Mary Mohler fits in terms of prominence within SBC life?
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat May 14, 2011 9:37 am

What about Dorothy Patterson--the hat lady?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Blake » Sat May 14, 2011 10:54 am

I'm not sure exactly William's intent, but I interpreted the question as who is the most prominent by virtue of a position she has gained/been given. In my mind Mary Mohler and Dorothy Patterson may be more prominent but that's because of who they happened to marry, not by any virtue of their own. Would anyone know who they were if they had not married men that became two of the most influential figures in the SBC today? Wouldn't we just be talking about some other women they married?
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Sandy » Sat May 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Women who serve on the SBC executive committee:

Debbie Ackerman, president of the WMU
Wilma Booth, Illinois
Lovina Rush, Missouri
Joan Mitchell, North Carolina
Carol Yarber, Texas
Sarah Talley, West Virginia
Martha Lawley, Wyoming

That's more than there ever have been, I believe. Also, I don't know how many are on other committees or trustee boards at the SBC level, but I would guess that number is also higher than it ever has been. The moderates have done a lot of talking about putting more women in positions of authority, but prior to 1979, when they ran the show, the power and influence that comes with holding committee or board seats seemed not to interfere too much with their idealistic view, because few men ever stepped back to let a woman serve back then.

Also, there's a lot of incredulity over the "lack" of female professors at the six seminaries. But when you consider that Baptist theological education has never followed the "Ivory Tower" model, that's not surprising. Rather than seminaries loaded with "intellectuals" who write books, pontificate on the way things should be, and hire doctoral fellows to teach their classes because they are involved in intellectual pursuits, Baptists decided that the best seminary professors would be those who had a lot of practical experience in the ministry, and could teach practical application rather than spout intellectual theories. In a denomination that has always been committed to scriptural fidelity and believes in distinct, different ministry roles for men and women, with the pastorate reserved for men, most of those great teachers are going to be male.
Sandy

Postby Tim Dahl » Sat May 14, 2011 4:52 pm

Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat May 14, 2011 10:01 pm

Tim D. wrote "I wouldn't rule out the power of Mrs. Patterson or Mrs. Mohler. I think that at least one of them have a Ph.D., though I don't know if it is earned or not (Mrs. Patterson?).

Ed: Dorthy has two Doctorates a D.Min from Luther Rice and a D.Th from the University of South Africa. Both are earned as defined by each of the two schools. Mary Mohler has an earned M.Div form SBTS during the tenure of Roy Houneycutt. I do not know if she has done any other further study.

The Dr. Mrs Patterson has a collection of published work with interesting titles, some published by well known houses.

Including: Dr. Dorthy Patterson’s publications include A Handbook for Parents in Ministry. Broadman and Holman, 2004. Where's Mom: The High Calling of Wife and Mother in Biblical Perspective. Crossway Books, 2003. A Handbook for Minister's Wives. Broadman and Holman, 2002. Should Women Serve as Pastors? Magnolia Hill, 2002. The Family: Unchanging Principles for Changing Times. Broadman, 2001. BeAttitudes for Women: Wisdom from Heaven for Life on Earth. Broadman, 2000. The Woman's Study Bible, General ed. Thomas Nelson, 1995. A Woman Seeking God: Discover God in the Places of Your Life. Broadman, 1992.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sat May 14, 2011 11:08 pm

Patterson has had quite a few publications.

University of South Africa is one of those distance education megauniversities. During the Ergun Caner/Liberty scandal last year questions were raised about Caner's degree. Most academy are not going to put much value in a doctorate from UNISA (unsure of their accreditation status).
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun May 15, 2011 6:42 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Sun May 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Sandy

Postby Blake » Sun May 15, 2011 6:56 pm

- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sun May 15, 2011 7:37 pm

My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby David Flick » Sun May 15, 2011 9:30 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue May 17, 2011 2:17 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed May 18, 2011 8:07 am

Gentlemen--

So far we are a bunch of guys commenting on women in the SBC!

In my view the "new Pharisees" view women as did the old: a possession.

I can tell you this: despite her Minnie Pearl frumpy hat look, Miss Dorothy looked "hot" in a glamor shot pic in Paige's SEBTS office. I have the pic to prove it!!! He also wrote an article about his hound dog invited out of the President's Mansion, Magnolia Hill (named by Mrs. P). So she packs a pretty powerful punch when Paige violated her view of "what is proper" in the Presiden's Mansion.

When I used to attend the SBC it was always apparant when the aspiring Presidents and Evangelists walked the hall. Beside them was this trophy wife so I have to give them applause on their choices----and their wives accolades for their taste in clothes / shoes / hairdresser!!!!!

Wonder what Paul would say about how these women dress for "church?"
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Return to SBC News and Trends