[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - SBC and Birtherism

SBC and Birtherism

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: SBC and Birtherism

Postby Jim » Sun May 01, 2011 12:58 pm

Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun May 01, 2011 1:24 pm

Jim---

Great retort----if you can't accept the truth, then try and make the teller of it into a liar / pervert / you name it.

And how much of a $3M budget does administration deserve??? Can you trust the SP figures on Administration.

The animosity between SP and BGEA was palpable according to a friend who is not prone to lying!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jim » Sun May 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun May 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Holy cow!!!!!

It's been a long time since I read such blind allegiance to the Republican line that "A democratic President can do no right!"

So George Bush can put us in Iraq with a lie about Weapons of Mass Destruction / institute a hell hole at Guantanamo / put in a "national security" blanket to deprive both citizens and Middle Eastern visitor of their civil rights, but because he is a
"Super Christian ex-alcoholic who failed at every business he attempted" become your golden God!!!! His buddy, VP Cheney, can get bids for private contracting in Iraq for Hilburton without the first competitive bid. We can then whip the bejesus out of supposed "enemy forces" who only have to wear a turban to be deemed so. We don't have Osama yet either--and why the heck were we going after Sadam when he didn't command a Terrorist unit---it was Osama, my brother.

Then, Brother George gets by with a long list of clear warnings about 9/11 and NOT ONE military fighter launched under a protocol standing order to intercept and force down any hijacked aircraft---4 of which flew over the most heavily Air Forced part of this country during some 45 minutes to impact from hijacking. Countermand of Standing Orders ONLY takes place under the Commander-In-Chief= duh.

Are you dreaming / sucking up every distortion the Republicans can offer / or just plain "ignernt" as we say in Eastern NC???
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jim » Sun May 01, 2011 3:44 pm

Jim

Postby Jim » Sun May 01, 2011 4:10 pm

Jim

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun May 01, 2011 4:16 pm

Gene,

I don't like Jim's grouchy poetry either. But one of the things we've always avoided here on this forum is foul language. I'm not a moderator here any longer. But you will run afoul of the moderation staff if you can't watch your own language.
Tim Bonney

Postby Sandy » Sun May 01, 2011 5:11 pm

Gene, you just get to the point where you have to ignore Jim. He gets in a rut, he doesn't have his facts straight, and he generally repeats the same misinformation. He's a tea party dream, someone who will take whatever bait they throw out that appeals to his prejudices. He's off the subject, and has cited so much misinformation he has no credibility on this subject at all. When he gets into that green ink mode, responding statement for statement, you can pretty much conclude it's time to stop reading.

And before someone jumps to the conclusion that Jim's is a typical Southern Baptist response to this particular issue, remember that he is a self-identified moderate Baptist. The fact that most CBF churches are still on the fence with regard to denominational affiliation doesn't mean Southern Baptists have to take the blame for nutcase views from those who are dually affiliated. :wink:
Sandy

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun May 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Sandy---Jim isn't the first "interesting character" I have dealt with. My first job after being a Trim Carpenter to get through college was a Nurse's Aide at Dorothea Dix on the Alcoholic Ward. Between listening to the wily tales of brick masons about their wild weekends and thending to drunks brought in after hours by Deputies, I've seen my share of nut cases.

Timothy---I once had a teenager ask me a great questions relative to Jesus being fully man and fully god. She said, "Imagine this: he has listened to the Disciples fuss and fight all day over who will sit where. Everybody in the world wants to get healing / feeding / a look at this strange person. So Jesus is tired and has slipped away for some peace and quiet. As his sandled feet shuffle back toward home in the dark he hits a big rock and stubbs his toe. So do you think he said 'Hosannah' or something else?"

After all I meant "Stuff" and typoed an extra * ---so where is your mind???
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jim » Mon May 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon May 02, 2011 4:43 pm

Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon May 02, 2011 4:52 pm

Hang in there, Jim---

No blog would ever be interesting if all parties were identical!

We all add our perspective---and probably are no more interested in cooperation or compromise as is Congress. Ever wonder why they are so hostile = just read the blogs on most things these days!

POGO: "We have met the enemy----and it is us!"
Last edited by Gene Scarborough on Fri May 06, 2011 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Gene and Jim a Disservice to this discussion

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu May 05, 2011 11:18 am

The Birther Franklin Graham discussion has implications for an aspect of the SBC Struggle too lightly explored: To wit, the mushiness of Billy Graham on the matter. The Steven Miller book I have repeatedly linked, and from it the Joe Crespino book can shed some light. Aaron Weaver's blog and wrapup at BaptistsToday.org and his topic here has added some nuances, but as is too often the case Scarborough and Jim have taken the discussion to muckland, the bog with little new insight and information.

Here is a link they may resurrect the discussion to a higher level and get the exchange between Sandy and Aaron Weaver back to some sensibility.

And keep an eye on SBC Heritage and History. I may add new quote from Steven Miller there hoping that some place on this board, some exchange may occur that will be worthy of its founder, Bruce Gourley.

http://www.religiondispatches.org/archi ... quisition/
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

David Miller's Dance and BDW

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu May 05, 2011 12:59 pm

I am just now seeing BDW's response to Dave Miller's Sat post in this discussion; 2 pm on a Thursday five days after the fact.

BDW did a great job.

Would be grand time for BDW and the Baylor examiners to up the discussion a notch, and challenge Miller to an exploration of Steven Miller on Billy Graham and Joe Crespino In Search of Another Country.

Stephen Fox

Re: Gene and Jim a Disservice to this discussion

Postby Jim » Thu May 05, 2011 1:44 pm

Jim

Mush

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu May 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Birtherism has implications for the mushiness of Billy Graham on the Fundamentalist takeover of the SBC.
You'll have to read the Schaefer link in light of the Miller quotes I have posted in Baptist History and Heritage to have a clue.

Meanwhile BDW's response to David Miller has been one of the highlights of this Birtherism discussion thread here at Bl.com to date.

Stephen Fox

Re: Mush

Postby Jim » Thu May 05, 2011 5:20 pm

Jim

Not burning anybody in effigy

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu May 05, 2011 5:38 pm

I just found Steven Miller's book very worthwhile and if you want to read the couple paragraphs about Billy's legacy in History and Heritage and then his concluding chapter you will find that the case; any fair minded person would.
I am just hoping from this latest Birther round Franklin will learn some from the mistakes of his father. No Crusade here; just calling for insight into a nuanced chapter, aspect of the SBC's troubles of the last quarter of 20th Century.
Hoping President Carter, Jimmy Allen, Mercer President Underwood, James Dunn, even Nathan Hatch of Wake Forest will engage the likes of Steven Miller and Joe Crespino in the project.

I think it a worthy endeavour.

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Thu May 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Action in Libya is not unilateral US military action, it is being conducted by NATO. It was conservative Republicans in Congress who first criticized the President, after the rebel action had already started, for not doing enough and not doing it fast enough. You can plaster your hypocritical critique of the US action in Libya in any way you choose to, Jim, but it doesn't make it any less biased, more objective, or factual. Bush led the US to take unilateral action in Iraq, lied through his teeth to Congress to convince them to hold his coattails and back him up, invented intelligence to claim that the Iraqis had "nucular" weapons, and then scrambled to try to find some explanation, like bringing freedom and democracy to the Iraqis when no weapons of mass destruction or "nucular" capability was found anywhere near Iraq. This little air support action in Libya is milquetoast compared to the lies, deception, monstrous spending and ineptitude displayed by Obama's predecessor in handling Iraq.

And it doesn't have anything to do with Birthers and the SBC.
Sandy

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri May 06, 2011 5:52 am

"I done gotcha" awards:

(1) Jim for his request of Stephen Fox for a clear Fox analysis rather than another link!

(2) Sandy on the Conservative Republicans criticizing President Obama for doing what they wanted done!

Congratulations to you both. Wish I knew how to give a "Golden Monkey Award" as does Flick give the spur---my Golden Monkey reflects a truth: "The higher the monkey climbs the tree, the more you see his tail."
Last edited by Gene Scarborough on Fri May 06, 2011 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jim » Fri May 06, 2011 7:25 am

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri May 06, 2011 7:36 am

Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri May 06, 2011 7:47 am

Jim---

If we were sharing a luscious apple, you would hand me back the core!!! I was trying to sincerely congratulate you on some good thinking.

I can't avoid giving you the "Golden Monkey Award" for your persistent criticism of the President over Libya. As Commander In Chief he can order actions without approval of Congress. He has NOT declared war on Libya, but has ordered the spending of Millions we don't have to put expensive missles and air power against them!

I won't mention a thing about Bush's exhorbitant expenditure of multi-billions in Iraq based on false information given to Congress and knowlingly questionable! Compared to the current Administration, I think it's about 100-1. Your partisan monkey has been up the tree for a long long time!!!!

I refuse to join him----SORRY!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jim » Fri May 06, 2011 1:27 pm

Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri May 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

PreviousNext

Return to SBC News and Trends