[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - SBC and Ten Influential Birthers

SBC and Ten Influential Birthers

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

SBC and Ten Influential Birthers

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:22 pm

FRanklin Graham is spotlighted here, and Nathan Deal, Georgia Governor and member of the Bi-associated FBC Gainesville, Georgia, subject of recent ed.com story on Immigration vote in Georgia.

Has Frank Page spoken to the Birther Movement.

I called Decision Magazine staff of the www.bgea.org Monday morning and had cordial conversation with a staffer there. Invited her to read Steven P. Miller on Billy Graham, and asked her to have leaders in the BGEA consider having Franklin spend a weekend with Mark Noll of Wheaton and Notre Dame, Anne Graham Lotz Bro in law, Denton Lotz of the BWA and maybe Nathan Hatch, president of Wake Forest to help Franklin work through some of his baggage.

Here is the TNR top ten:

http://www.tnr.com/slideshow/politics/8 ... ma-birther
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Page 125 of Miller on Graham

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:34 pm

Stephen Fox

Wade Hampton Hotel and Franklin Graham

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Last edited by Stephen Fox on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Fox

BDW, David Miller and Howell Scott

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:37 pm

Have engaged the larger discussion at Scott's From Law 2 Grace:

http://fromlaw2grace.com/2011/04/26/oba ... trike-out/

And Joe Crespino for those who seek fuller understanding of David Miller and his world

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/8411.html

Stephen Fox

Re: SBC and Ten Influential Birthers

Postby William Thornton » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:39 pm

Nathan "Sweet" Deal, Georgia governor is vastly superior to the guvnr who just exited that office. I didn't vote for Deal because of his unethical deals with the state. The level of dislike, animus, towards Obama is quite high amongst the brethren here....but we get to vote agin' him again next year.

Wm,
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Baylor's Aaron Weaver and Richard Land on Birthers

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:51 pm

William: Thanks for helping this not be a Fox Only thread. But you will have to admit it risks being one of the more timely and substantive discussions at this board at some time; especially if you click on the various links I have provided for your edification.
And do click over to FromLaw2 grace. BDW just in the last hour has garnered new info there, spotlighting the faultline between Richard Land and Franklin Graham on this matter, like he did 15 years ago on the Curtis Caine matter.

And again for someone on HWY 29 between Athens and Winder, Joe Crespino in Search of Another country is a must read for you.

Enjoying the exchange and the enlightenment. Thanks for once again helping save my reputation from the pitfalls of cutting edge discourse and exchange :lol: :lol: :D :brick: :gavel: :gavel: :wave: :wave:

Stephen Fox

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:54 pm

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Meanwhile David Miller

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Stephen Fox

Postby Tom Parker » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Stephen:

The Birthers will never be satisfied. They will end up helping to indirectly re-elect President Obama.
Tom Parker

Postby Sandy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:22 pm

Sandy

Re: Meanwhile David Miller

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:40 pm

My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Frank explains himself in CToday interview

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:53 pm

http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispa ... irtherism/

For Aaron Weaver especially this link above must be read in context of Steven Miller's work on Billy Graham the Father. Simply must reading for the BDW Pronto.

And following that Joe Crespino soon as you can get your hands on In Search of Another Country.

And maybe BDW you should comment at RD.org

Go back and read my Miller and George Packer quotes at the outset of this thread.

Stephen Fox

Postby Tom Parker » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:19 pm

BDW:

You said:"Miller has - using a birther tactic here - suggested that Obama is not Hawaii-born. His response was much different than that of Howell Scott."

Sadly, Dave Miller did use a birther tactic and sounded a lot like a birther.

As I said earlier, nothing will satisfy these folks. President Obama after over 27 months in office still will not be recognized as the legitimate President of the United States by a large majority of Republicans!
Tom Parker

A commendable comment at CToday

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:23 pm

Stephen Fox

Re: Trump, Graham & Birthers

Postby HowellS » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:52 pm

HowellS

Postby Dr. James Willingham » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:24 pm

This whole discussion looks like an exercise in futility. First, there is Steve who is sure he has the conservatives over a barrel. How could they make an issue out of Obama's birth? Second there are conservatives who are equally sure Steve has taken leave of his senses. After all, all they are asking is for a plain and factual presentation of the materials involved (namely, pony up the birth certificate). To the detached observer, it is a case of thesis and antithesis, the skilled use of the dialectic for manipulation, to move the public to a position of chaos so some hidden goal can be accmplished. Very few people are aware that there are those behind the curtains like the Wizard of Oz who is manipulating things for his own purposes. It is what is behind the scenes that I find most puzzling. FDR once said nothing happens on the public scene by accident. In other words, it was planned. Sort of reminds me of my sharecropper grandfather with a third grade education who warned his neighbor about joining the army. The neighbor said, "I'm going to join, get my training, and I won't have to go over seas." Grandpa said, "Within a (certain amount of time), you will be oversears in a World War." After the war, the neighbor came home, and said to Grandpa, "Well, you were right. I wound up in a World War. The only thing you were wrong about was how soon I'd be there." I can't remember whether it was 6 mos. or a year, but Grandpa said it was one and it was the other. The main thing was the war, and he was right on the money. Was it a lucky guess? Naw! Grandpa had a brother who had some knowledge of what was going on in the world. The whole family use to have terrile arguments about the whole mess. When you have some idea of who decides what is going down and when and where, then you have a jump on being prepared for what happens. There are folks on the side line waiting to redo this nation into their own image, and there are those who are waiting to capitalize on the dumb conservative/moderate donnybrook of the SBC. O by the way, it might be the same folks who brought us two world wars, the great depression, and the present economic situtaion which will improve for the election. After that we can kiss our free nation good by...Some of Steve's references could help us to know who, if they would. Some of the conservatives could from their side. Suckers are born every moment. Our Lord said the children of this world are wiser than the children of light. Too bad you folks never read Carroll Quigley's Tragedy and Hope or his The Anglo-American Establishment.
Dr. James Willingham

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:44 am

What is the problem with Republican Conservatives just saying, "We have a new President from the other party. We have greater problems with an overseas war and busted economy----we must now cooperate to solve."

I can't remember a time of more bull-headedness and talking past one another in my 65 years of life. It is all getting us NOWHERE!

I griped non-stop about the Florida results which elected George Bush over Al Gore. Gore was a more astute Southern gentleman and person of faith to simply say, "The Court has decided and the matter is ended. I concede the election."

He knew the self-destruction of non-stop bickering was more a distraction than it needed to be for the good of the country. In the same way, folks who started CBF admitted there was no future nor positive result after some 10 years of warfare. Strangely, that "silent majority" of citizens and non-Christians had seen long befor---that bullies were fighting on the playground, and wise children move to the other side so the fight does not get them accidentally punched or have a rock part their hair when it missed the enemy.

Will we ever have enough sense to stop unproductive fighting among ourelves and solve the elephant poop building up in the room when no one noticed the elephant of un-winable war / high energy prices / failed economy / a growing deficite / taxpayer money wasted on things like the failed attempt to impeach Bill Clinton along with the noises to impeach Obama.

It's ugly. It's mean. It's non-productive. It's a total distraction from the real issues and attitudes needed to SOLVE PROBLEMS!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:20 am

Sometimes I have a little trouble following Fox's connections between people and resources, and following where the SBC fits into all this.

A lot of this stuff is just right wing media frothing because they think the mainstream media mistreated poor George. The problem with payback is that what happens next has to be more spectacular and bizzare in order to attract an equal amount of attention. As a former long time Social Studies/Government/Economics teacher, I attribute most of these kinds of things to the blatant ignorance that occurs as a result of an educational system that allows students to graduate illiterate.

The safeguard to prevent a person whose birth circumstances don't meet constitutional muster comes into play long before a candidate can be nominated by their party and placed on the ballot in each of the 50 states. The state of Hawaii, where Obama was obviously born, provides certified copies of birth certificates to anyone who needs one, and that is all that is necessary, in this case, to prove one's place of birth. The supposition that most birthers are resting on is that the certified copies are fraudulent, that there was some sort of conspiracy to cook up fake documents and fake originals of his birth announcement in the newspaper, as well as bribery of a whole host of hospital personnel. Unless there's evidence that such faking occurred, and it is proven in a court of law, Obama's passport and driver's license suffices to meet the constitutional requirement. Of course, dumba***s like Trump and Wiley Drake are too stupid and ignorant to know their constitution or the law.

The idea that producing the "original" birth certificate will solve this issue, and that Obama is taking steps to avoid doing so is absurd. The Republican state official in Hawaii who is responsible for such records has testified to the original's existence, as well as to its location. But the constitution doesn't require producing an original birth certificate, namely because for those of us born before the computer age, such records are almost impossible to find. Once recorded, your original goes into a file, and then probably winds up in a storage box in the basement of some government building, there to molder until who knows when. What you get, when you request one, is a certified copy. John McCain couldn't produce an original birth certificate, and he was born in Panama. How is it that he could run?

Now, Fox, if you care to elaborate on what all of this has to do with the SBC, I'll read it.
Sandy

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:52 am

Er----Sandy:

He is the duely elected President. The campaign ended 2+ years ago.

Now what do you have to say about us solving problems over turning little ones into distracting ???
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:58 am

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:43 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Perhaps, as someone said above, nothing happens in public that wasn't planned. If so, did Obama delay in producing the documentation until he could discredit certain people as fully as possible? And if so, it was a smart move, and I'm pleased that he did it.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:24 pm

He did produce legal documentation two years ago.

That document he produced in 2008 - Certificate of Live Birth - was the same document one of my classmate's had to produce to renew his passport last year.

I guess the question is: why wasn't that form of legal documentation sufficient proof that Obama is who he says he is? The multiple birth announcements weren't good enough either. Why was Obama held to a different standard than the men before him who ran for President?

Why didn't he do this two years ago? I guess he and his advisers didn't feel it was necessary for the President of the United States to respond to the demands of nuts and flakes hell-bent on popularizing yet another conspiracy theory. Richard Land described the birthers and Obama-is-a-Muslim crowd as both "irrational" and "imbalanced." You'd think that the President wouldn't have to respond to demands from those types of people, the irrational and imbalanced.
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Tom Parker » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:26 pm

William Thorton:

You said:"Obama should have done this two years ago."

Why?
Tom Parker

Postby William Thornton » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:11 pm

Because there's nothing in it. Why make an issue of it by letting the lunatic fringe latch onto it?

But then, I suppose there's an argument that there will be no end to the thing.

Trump Circus
William Thornton
Site Admin

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends