[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - SBC and Race, One More Time

SBC and Race, One More Time

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

SBC and Race, One More Time

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:54 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: SBC and Race, One More Time

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Dwight McKissic's motion is never going to happen unless he can point to a congregation that is openly affirming of explicit racism....

I don't see the value in such a motion. Look at the 1995 resolution on Race. What did that accomplish? Richard Land & Company experienced a little less white guilt for a hot minute?

Perhaps a better use of Dave Miller & SBCVoices would be to lobby the SBC to be more inclusive of the minority voices that support Southern Baptist missions and programs. The SBC doesn't just have a race problem. They got a gender problem too. How many women are visible these days? And I don't think adding a megachurch pastor's wife to a committee really is authentic diversity.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Re: A flaw in Dave Millers history

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:53 am

Miller Wrote

Things have changed. Even back in the heyday of segregation and discrimination, there were courageous men who took a stand against this blight. And the light began to dawn on us. Finally, in 1995, at our Annual Meeting in Indianapolis, the SBC formally repented of our racist past. You can look here to read the resolution that was passed. I was there and I was thrilled to stand on behalf of our forbears and repent of the institutional sin that had so marked our existence.

Ed: Millers embedded link did not copy but if you click on it where he says in his blog "You can look here to read the resolution " it indeed takes you to the resolution. But scroll down to the bottom. Note that it says Atlanta Georgia and Miller says Indianapolis. I am not sure where Miller was when the resolution was passed, but I was in Atlanta. I am with Aaron Weaver who says "I don't see the value in such a motion. Look at the 1995 resolution on Race. What did that accomplish? Richard Land & Company experienced a little less white guilt for a hot minute?"

Last paragraph [ Be it finally RESOLVED, That we pledge our commitment to the Great Commission task of making disciples of all people (Matthew 28:19), confessing that in the church God is calling together one people from every tribe and nation (Revelation 5:9), and proclaiming that the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ is the only certain and sufficient ground upon which redeemed persons will stand together in restored family union as joint-heirs with Christ (Romans 8:17).

Atlanta, Georgia]

You may see the full resolution at http://www.sbc.net/resolutions/amResolution.asp?ID=899
Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:06 pm

The “race resolution” was laughed to scorn by the hierarchies of the Black Baptist denominations, as it should have been. Not a person in the hall had been any part of enslaving anyone and, indeed, was even then a part of the generation bending over backwards to effect some sort of reparations, called by most as entitlements of one kind or another. The practical effect of the entitlements was the disintegration of the black family. Operating on the basis of pseudo-guilt is idiotic.
Jim

Postby Blake » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 pm

"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Good story Lamar

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:24 pm

Friday at Trade Day in Collinsville, Alabama got in pretty straightforward conversation with a fellow from Philadelphia, Mississippi, where Goodman Schwerner and Cheney were lynched.

We talked a little about Will Campbell's And Also with You, Duncan Gray and the American Dilemma.

http://www.bookpage.com/9710bp/nonficti ... thyou.html

Earlier had a chat with a fellow who cooks tuna for Barbara Brown Taylor and her husband Ed.

Meanwhile another star in the crown of Billy Fox, David Bookout's Summer Camp devotional leader for Clairmont Hills in Atlanta where he series of challenging conversations with Colin Harris now of Mercer:

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/exposing-cul ... -cms-17581

Above is Harris latest sterling effort at ed.com

His son is a Math Proff at Furman.

Stephen Fox

Mississippi Counterevolution

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:03 pm

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/8411.html

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the influence of Pressler and Helms on church state directions after they were able to get the SBC to defund the BJC for the assertions Crespino is making in the book linked above.

If Dave Miller is serious about taking another look at the SBC and Race, then seems to me he and his network on the microphones at the Next SBC would want to master Crespino's thinking and have a response for it.

Have Pressler and the legacy of Helms and Albert Lee Smith come clean as they explore all the implications.

Stephen Fox

Page 9 for Gourley and BDWeave

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:48 pm

And here you can read pages online. Haven't found a false note to date in the intro

http://tinyurl.com/3w2q6fu

Stephen Fox

Postby Tom Parker » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:55 pm

Stephen:

I just can not for the sake of me understand how some in the SBC almost make a diety out of folks like Pressler and Patterson and others.

They seem to see no faults in these folks who orchestrated the takeover of the SBC.

These folks did not fix the SBC they sowed the fruits of its demise. :?
Tom Parker

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:03 pm

Stephen Fox

Return to SBC News and Trends