[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - David Currie Arrested for DWI

David Currie Arrested for DWI

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

David Currie Arrested for DWI

Postby David Montoya » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:59 am

Once again David Currie, the former director of Texas Baptist Committed and currently a trustee for Howard Payne University, has blazed a new trail for Texas Baptist leadership. He was arrest for DWI. The following is a link to the information: http://justice.co.tom-green.tx.us/Scrip ... 253D356335
David Montoya

Re:More Montoya gosip

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:06 pm

Ed: I didn't realize that my ole friend DC that much younger than I.

And Montoya you are still a gossip. A trait my bible condemns as much as it does drunkenness.
You may recall the bloger who in May of 2010 said "Montoya goes after anything BGCT and many times (not always) without merit." But I ask is it ever with out malice?

# a person given to gossiping and divulging personal information about others
# a report (often malicious) about the behavior of other people; "the divorce caused much gossip"
# dish the dirt: wag one's tongue; speak about others and reveal secrets or intimacies; "She won't dish the dirt"
# chew the fat: talk socially without exchanging too much information; "the men were sitting in the cafe and shooting the breeze"
# a person given to gossiping and divulging personal information about others
# chitchat: light informal conversation for social occasions
Ed Pettibone

Re: David Currie Arrested for DWI

Postby rick davis » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:08 pm

If Currie is now getting pulled over for DWI, as is alleged, I hope the exposure humiliates him enough to cause him to seek treatment. The first step of getting better is to admit there is a problem.

And, Ed, you are still an incredible Toady for your ole friend. You are just one of those whose attacks on the messenger enable what appear to be self-destructive behaviors.

# sycophant
# fawning apologist
# parasite
# predictable boor
rick davis

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:58 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tom Parker » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:04 pm

This original posting seems mighty malicious. What are you hoping to accomplish?
Tom Parker

Postby David Montoya » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:23 pm

Since when is drawing attention to a official public report malicious?

What is more malicious, driving impaired where you put others at risk or informing people of the kind of leadership Texas Baptist Committed and Mainstream Baptists have followed?

The intent of the post was to inform, but it is always easier to shoot the messenger.
For the record, I do hope David Currie gets some help.
David Montoya

Postby Tom Parker » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:37 pm

No one but God can know your intent, but I'm not sure how this is anything but malicious.
Tom Parker

Re: when it is intended for ill

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:14 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tom Parker » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:13 pm

Ed:

The mean and vicious attacks of some in the "Christian" world makes one wonder if they really believe and practice James 1:22.
Tom Parker

Postby David Montoya » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:17 am

Ed,

Are your kind and loving words to me an example of how a Christian should communicate?

I did not hear that David Currie resigned from Mainstream Baptists leadership. I must not be in on all the gossip.
David Montoya

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:28 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:47 pm

I don't know about anyone else but I think it's "newsworthy" when a prominent Baptist leader and current Trustee at a Baptist university (who has an ETHICS lecture series named in part after him at that university) get arrested for Driving While Intoxicated....

I'm going to part ways with Montoya on the ethics of consuming beverage alcohol. But, I got no respect for someone who drinks and drives. Year after year, Texas has more alcohol-related fatalities than any other state in the U.S.

So a guy whose name is attached to the cause of Texas Baptists and Christian Ethics gets humiliated or embarrassed because a DWI arrest is made public. Cry me a river. I don't care who the messenger is. Actions are supposed to have consequences especially incredibly reckless and potentially deadly actions.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Maybe I'm the only one, but I feel a great deal of sadness in this and a need to include Curry in my prayers. I don't know about his personal demons, but we all have some. It's news, but not the kind of news that brings any joy. It's time to take up the cause of concern for more squandered Christian influence and to note in passing what has happened to a brother (or sister) in whom many have placed confidence. Of course, I don't live in Texas, never have, and have little desire to do so. That may make a difference in my perspectives.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:04 pm

Tim Bonney

Re: Aaron check your stats

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:43 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:33 pm

My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Jim » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:58 am

I don’t know Curry from Piltdown man, but if he was driving while having any amount of alcohol or other drugs in him, not to mention actually drunk, he deserves all the criticism that can come his way, and if he purports to be a minister he should think about another line of work. There’s nothing more lethal than an auto in the hands of a drunk, and anyone caught in that condition, whether or not as the result of an accident, should have the book thrown at him. If Curry was guilty I hope he loses his license or at least spends more than a few hours in the slammer.
Jim

Postby David Montoya » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Ed,

I claim no special influence in the Hispanic community nor do I have law enforcement people "helping my cause".
Secondly, I have no idea who Ortega is? If you are talking about Arrango, I have no idea what your question was (I am sure it must have been profound).

The information about David Currie and his arrest was sent to me by someone from the Abilene area of Texas. They gave me enough for me to do my own research and confirm the arrest.

Also, it would be quite comical to see YOU trying to drive ME out of anything with a rope whip.

I appreciate the folks who understand the seriousness of drinking and driving.
David Montoya

Postby johnfariss » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:04 pm

David,

As a former police officer, as well as a volunteer rescue squad member, who has pulled more than his share of people--and pieces thereof--from automobile wrecks with alcohol-related causes, I assure you I understand the seriousness of drinking and driving. And if Mr. Currie (whom I do not know, and only know of) is guilty of this offense, he deserves whatever penalties the law can put his way, and I agree that any Christian organizations with which he is affiliated should examine him (or anyone else in such a situation), albeit with grace and love.

However, it is possible to both appreciate the seriousness of the offense and still suspect, from your posting, that you had some motives other than to simply inform baptistlife readers that someone in Texas was arrested for DWI.

For that matter, I know no more about you than I do about Mr. Currie, other than that you have some issue with him and/or Texas Baptists Committed. Some of your postings I have though were reasonable and I agreed with, while with others, you seem to be grinding an axe.

John Fariss
johnfariss

Postby Sandy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:15 pm

Sandy

Re: I still Call David Currie a friend

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:03 pm

Ed: Sandy This is not the first time that i have objected to gossip on these boards. Wold you mind giving me a for instance when
personal actions of individuals of the more conservative Baptist persuasion have been featured on these boards.

And please note that I am on the record as saying anyone convicted of DUI needs to pay the proscribed penalty. David Currie is in deed prominent in Southern Baptist, CBF and TBC and in my opinion is deserving of such prominence. As Jesus said let he who is with out sin cast the first stone. DUI is serious no doubt but it is NOT the unpardonable sin. And to treat DC as if it where is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I would at this point suggest that this thread be moved to where it should have been from the start, to the prayer forum.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:09 pm

My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Sandy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:35 pm

I just don't see, really, where anyone here has "cast stones." I see a lot of discussion here about whether or not there was any merit to reporting that this occurred, an issue which, if it is a problem for you, needs to be taken up with the laws of the state of Texas that require local sheriff departments to publish their arrest reports, and with the specific county sheriff involved. David Montoya simply linked that report to a post here, because he keeps up with things related to the BGCT and noticed it first, though I doubt such an event would stay hidden for long in the Baptist world, especially when it involves Texas Baptists. Now it remains to be seen whether things will be made right in a Christlike manner, or whether this will become more about the individual involved than it will be about what is the right thing to do.
Sandy

Postby David Montoya » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:00 am

Ed,

I have brought up actions by Paige Patterson (his attempt to take the Tarrant County Baptist Association Building) and I also posted about Pressler being sued by a young man (settled out of court). I don't think either of these men would claim to be moderates.
Last edited by David Montoya on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Montoya

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:40 am

Ed Pettibone

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends