[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - New Leader for IMB

New Leader for IMB

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

New Leader for IMB

Postby Joseph Patrick » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:06 pm

From Joseph Patrick...

I have just learned that the search committee for selecting a new leader for the IMB have unanimously recommended Tom Elliff to be Jerry Rankin's successor. There were many worse choices, but at 66, is Tom the best for the job?
When Bill Clinton lied, no one died...
Joseph Patrick

Dave Miller of the voices confirms

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:27 pm

http://sbcvoices.com/tom-eliff-imb-pres ... l-nominee/

I cannot imagine why it is not Ronnie Floyd

I cannot believe Dawson Memorial as an example will send their Lottie Moon or CP dollars to this guy or how in Bama Bob Terry will endorse the decision with a straight face.

Watch the dissembling combust
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: New Leader for IMB

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:08 pm

No surprise here. He is Bailey Smith's brother-in-law, and age guarantees a relatively short term.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby HowellS » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:29 pm

While we will never know how the IMB Presidential Search Committee arrived at their choice of Dr. Eliff, he is part of the establishment within the SBC. There has been much speculation (see Stephen's link to the discussion at SBCVoices), but this may have been a consensus choice that the entire committee could unanimously agree on. He may serve a long time, but it would surprise no one if he was a "caretaker" for 5-10 years until someone else took over.

As to Stephen's not being able to imagine the new IMB President not being Ronnie Floyd, I assume Stephen is seriously wondering. For those not as involved in SBC life and/or politics, Ronnie Floyd's nomination would have resulted in mass rebellion and all-out war within the Convention. As it is, there are cracks in the foundation that continue to grow deeper and wider (see my post http://www.fromlaw2grace.com/2011/02/17 ... foundation). If the GCR is fully implemented, then I believe that the collapse of the SBC, as we now know it, is inevitable. Floyd's nomination would have been the equivalent of a massive earthquake. Thanks and God bless,
HowellS

Postby William Thornton » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:39 am

Elliff's nomination is not a surprise. Anecdotally, I judge the reaction from IMB's missionary force as one of ambivalence or even mild disappointment, though most who take an interest in such things would have seen this as a strong possibility for several years now.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:24 pm

From Joseph Patrick...

William said: "Elliff's nomination is not a surprise. Anecdotally, I judge the reaction from IMB's missionary force as one of ambivalence or even mild disappointment, though most who take an interest in such things would have seen this as a strong possibility for several years now."

Most missionaries thought that Gordon Fort was the heir apparent. He seemed to be the right choice; a second generation missionary, born in a mission hospital, and he even had stuffed animal heads on his wall. That last, alone, should have insured his election to president. I wonder if he identified too closely with the rank and file and not the trustees? My thought is that he would not "roll over" for all of the outrageous demands of the trustees.
When Bill Clinton lied, no one died...
Joseph Patrick

Postby David Flick » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:30 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Return to SBC News and Trends