[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Paige Patterson Trying to take Association Building

Paige Patterson Trying to take Association Building

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Paige Patterson Trying to take Association Building

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:17 am

Let's take a step back from legalities / autonomy / all the asthetic things and just look at the motivating personality involved here: Paige Patterson, himself.

He has proven himself to be like a mule with blinders on. Once he starts an aggresive move, he is also like a pit bull who never lets go. I see him as the point man with the slick rhetoric who is encouraging the SBC change from Cooperation to Domination by the hierarchy of a few.

We can track his placement since working up to the 1979 official takeover. He came to SEBTS to be worshiped / encourge his little "knights in shining armor" with new church Constitution and By-laws under their arms / to make their new churches into ones with a "King Pastor." They backed their leader at annual NCBSC meetings to put in a Financial Policy which refused to receive funds from any church perceived as accepting of homosexuals. It was a clear violation of Autonomy, but it did not matter.

His sojourn to SWBTS brought the firing of a female Professor / more worship of the master / now the ousting of the Association and pretense that their building is needed for Seminary growth / and "why should we pay anything to take your building????"

Has the anti-Christ arrived???????
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:47 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:50 pm

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:11 am

I have come to find out the above is from Howell Scott who is another Wade Burleson-type mavrick participating in the SBC Voices blog on which it appeared as a main topic.

The trouble I see is that a vast majority see the SWBTS assault on the Tarrant Association as well as what is horribly going on near Charlotte with the Associational DOM being forced out by a few on the Executive Committee as something to be tolerated. This activity is now restricted from comment as our own Biblical Recorder Editor was similarly forced to resign.

I view all three of these stories as another round of theft without recourse. The GCTF report adopted by the SBC this summer---with a 15-year moritorium on internal discussion---gives further proof the SBC is no longer a democratic organization nor does it intend to change its course.

All of the above have gotten negative reviews even from loyal supporters of the SBC and NCBSC, but the beat goes on and the critics still give in support of national and state organizations. Too much of both budgets as going to Administration over Missionaries serving to spread the Gospel.

Is this the height of stupidity or what???????
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Mrs Haruo » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:20 am

Readers of Corrie Ten Boom's "The Hiding Place" will know what I am talking about.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:24 pm

:brick:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:34 pm

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Dahl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:53 pm

I thought I would ads some clarifications, since I was at the meeting:

First, the motion that passed says that we will "consider" selling it at fair market value. We did not say that we were offering to sell it out right. They would still have to make an offer, and we reserve the right to say "yes or no" to it.

Secondly, Broadway is not the only church not in "friendly cooperation." Actually, Broadway wasn't even brought up at the meeting. Al Meredith did mention to other churches though, that might fit the bill. First, we have a bible church that is a member of the association. I can't remember it's name, but it made it in. It turns out that all of their ministers are SWBTS grads. Secondly, we have a church from Sophia, Bulgaria that is a member of our association. Sure, it is a member of the very small baptist convention there in Bulgaria; but the pastor of the church is from this area. Every time they come back to the states to see family, they are in Fort Worth. So, they are members of our association, giving money to the association, helping plant churches in the association, and making use of online resources (as well as taking part in stateside events when the family is over here). But really, they are a part for the fellowship to be had, as available. The churches that aren't a part of the SBC make up about a quarter of one percent of all of the TBA churches.

It is crazy to say that the TBA isn't in friendly agreement with SWBTS.

It is just not true.

The best thing given to consideration was a request by Wesley Shotwell (who participates on this board). He asked if we could start praying for a change of heart on the part of Dr. Patterson. He also thought it might be a good idea if the different churches could email Dr. Patterson to encourage him with their prayers. I thought it was a good idea, and I'm doing it.

Tim Dahl
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:10 pm

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby HowellS » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:47 pm

I have a new post up at http://www.fromlaw2grace.com and at http://www.sbcvoices.com regarding the continued silence by the Seminary regarding this controversy.

Tim,

I would be curious to know if you are aware of who signed either of the letters that were sent by SWBTS? Also, as an outside observer, I believe that TBA's public stance has been commendable. On the other hand, Southwestern's actions and continued silence have painted a not-too-flattering portrait of the Seminary, for what it's worth. Thanks for the first-hand information. God bless,
HowellS

Prayer

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:01 pm

Paige Patterson has been a prayer concern of mine for 40 odd years now, since I first made his acquaintance at a Samford lecture April of 87

I will be praying with the rest of you that he gets right with Jesus before he leaves this world.

Like George Wallace he needs to say on many fronts: I Was Wrong.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:00 am

I like the compassion shown over simple anger in the last 2 posts. There is plenty to be angry about as Patterson continues to climb a tree like a monkey to view places yet to be conquered.

He is so full of hubris and arrogance we will probably wait for God to be his judge. Those folowing his ways certainly give him enough applause to drown out the "still small voice" of God saying, "There is a far better way to be religious than being a modern day Pharisee."

The despots of this world come and go. Those who recognize them as such, don't have to send money to their cause. The only real alternative is to start something new and get out of their way.

Has a true following of Christ ever been a majority movement?
He spoke of us being like leven where a small amount is capable of making brick hard bread into a loaf people can eat.
Every foot he climbs up his monkey tree, the more we see his tail!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Re: Prayer

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:45 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Dahl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:37 pm

Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends