NC Biblical Recorder ends public blogs to articles

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

NC Biblical Recorder ends public blogs to articles

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:02 pm

Today marked the end to the blog section of the Biblical Recorder. It was announced in a contrived article by the Trustee Chairman.

It comes with the Gaston Association in turmiol and the regular Baptist church pastors hiring a lawyer to conduct the investigation into the dictatorial moves of the Executive Commitee and serious violations of clearly placed normal practices of the Association in past years and backed by the Constitution and By-laws of that Association. Comments were running almost 100% against the reduculous grab of power from the messengers of all the churches.

The Gaston Gazette article is in today's Baptist Today list of important Baptist articles. Their description of the activity going on since October is not pretty nor complimentary.

This is one to keep an eye on. I have been watching and debating NCBSC activities since their adoption of a Financial Policy which refuses to accept gifts from any church giving any place to homosexual ministry. I took the Convention before the Secretary of State some years ago as a Corporate entity violating its own documents with Autonomy clearly in place for many years.

Would you believe it, they dodged my bullet by citing the Trustees only as being incorporated while the Convention was not---after telling churches for years that every church should be incorperated. Talk about preaching without practicing!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Re: NC Biblical Recorder ends public blogs to articles

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:35 am

After spending over 21 years pastoring in NC, I'm glad not to be there in the mess that keeps going on in the state.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:58 am

It is a DEFINITE mess!!!

I came here in 1986. At that time many of my buddies who had been in SC were so happy to be in a state not taken over by CR. I was there when Lolley resigned.

With SEBTS pumping pastors with agendas into the churches 2 things began to happen:

1) Many churches had instant trouble when they went to get Student Pastors who immediately had a new Constitution and By-Laws to insert plus a "king pastor" view of pastoral duty. After a burning with arrogant men who told the Committee what they wanted to hear, many small churhes now to to Duke / Campbell / BTSR for their pastors anymore.
2) Those churches and Associations which didn't learn the student pastor lesson are now replete with SEBTS Kings in their pulpits.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:42 am

I was on the General Board in the early 1990's and witnessed the beginnings of that. I was also there when SEBTS began giving students extra credit if they could get themselves elected as messengers to the state convention. That certainly skewed some votes and did so even more in the mid-1990's and beyond.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:02 pm

It's ALL about reaching their goals---nothing else in the world matters with SEBTS these days!

Check the redactions of Dr. Finn on SEBTS history and that of N. Rocky Mount Baptist Church.

The worst part is they believe their own stories!!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Bill Friday and Cecil Sherman

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:21 pm

I had a piece in Baptists Today about Samford in 2000 where I used the quote of Bill Friday Cecil Sherman himself shared with me at Greensboro national CBF convo.

Cecil told me Friday had told him the Most Significant event in N.C. in the 80's decade was the fundamentalist takeover of SEBTS, cause in that the Helms/SBC fundy machine knew they could infiltrate every hamlet and suburb in the state and over time turn free conscience Baptists into folderol for the New Right.
Now NC Tea Parties are reaping a whirling dervish and Heath Shuler is dancin a gig.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to SBC News and Trends