[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Another state paper editor gone

Another state paper editor gone

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Another state paper editor gone

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:10 am

Doug Baker, editor of the state Baptist paper in Oklahoma, has resigned after only 15 months. Perhaps David Flick can give us more light on this. Don't know the specifics of this case, but generally any state paper editor who tries to do more than publish a promotional piece that makes state convention and SBC leaders look good, and instead tries to publish actual news or different viewpoints on some issue is going to be in the crosshairs of the powers that be.
Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Re: Another state paper editor gone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby lespuryear » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:37 am

I wouldn't be surprised to see Baker replace Norman Jameson as editor of the Biblical Recorder here in North Carolina.
Sermon Toolbox iPhone app -
lespuryear

Postby David Flick » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:54 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Blake » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:36 pm

Are there any whistleblowers that don't go to Emmanuel in Enid that could tell us what's going on? I knew we were going to regret losing Wade's and Debbie's blogs.
"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Wade Burleson » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:47 pm

Last edited by Wade Burleson on Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The world is too dangerous to live in - not because of the people who do evil but because of the people who sit and let it happen.

Albert Einstein
Wade Burleson

Postby William Thornton » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:19 am

One wonders exactly how important Baptist Press and the various state papers are in shaping opinion for the SBC these days, certainly not what they used to be.

Get the feed for Associated Baptist Press if you want to fill in the gaps that BP leaves.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Blake » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:42 pm

Thanks for the info Wade! I hope you won't be shy to interact with us here as your time allows especially since you seem to be privy to or find yourself becoming privy to information others of us might not.
"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:58 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Blake » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:18 pm

Ed, Wade has .11 posts per day. I just wanted to encourage him to post even more if he finds the time now that he's not blogging. Maybe this could be his main place to share the oddities he comes across in the SBC now.
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:35 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:42 am

The leaving of Norman Jameson and its political "non-handling" is amazing.

I advocated strongly that the Messengers have the right to approve actions by the Trustees. There were many commentators who were outraged at the politics, they posted blog after blog comment, but not a mumbling word was said at the Convention!

Another matter on SBC-encouraged state compliance had the strength to over-rule the Moderator's referral and get on the floor for discussion. Not this one = how strange---UNTIL you consider that SEBTS has been pumping pastors into NC since the resignation of Randall Lolley.

Were we the same kind of compliant sheep in the beginnings of Baptist work, autonomy would never have a place in Baptist Life. Over at SBC Voices I have been in discussion with David Miller relative to Autonomy.

I pastored the N. Rocky Mount Baptist Church which was involved in the SBC "Court case of the Year" in 1959 wherein Baptist and Autonomy was spelled our in clear terms and tried to the State Supreme Court level. The 49% minority of church members were protected by complying with the definition that no larger body tells any local Baptist Church what to do or not do.

I will be glad to review the testimony in the transcript, If you would like. It is fascinating and needs to be on the lips of the few who still believe Autonomy rules in Baptist circles. The redaction that "the Associations and Conventions are autonomous" is nothing but making the Bible say, "Hate your enemy and kill him quick," if it were put into exegetical terms. :brick:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby trich » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:14 pm

Wade - while the BP was mostly silent about the Caner fiasco this past summer, they did have one article reporting on his dismissal from LU as dean, and even reported in the article some of the allegations reported by the Lynchburg paper.

Good to "see" you online!

http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?id=33247
trich

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:00 pm

Gene has a point about SEBTS. I have often quoted UNC chancellor and UNC PBS celebrity Bill Friday on the significance of the takeover of SEBTS for the dumbing down of the entire state. Cecil Sherman past the quote on to me and I got it published in 2000 issue of Baps Today; said Bama was up for the same diminishment with the then Fundy designs on Samford.

So far Bob Terry has found an accommodation that is an enigma to me; kind of a sleight of hand where BFM 2000 really doesn't mean what it says it does, a Rorshach size that fits all.

As Randy Newman Sang: Sail Away, We will Cross the Mighty Ocean into Charleston Bay
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby John Wylie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:55 pm

I know two fairly recent graduates of SEBTS, one is a pastor and the other a professor at OBU, and they are about as sharp as they come. It's not like the conservatives are less scholarly than the liberals.
John Wylie

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:49 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby John Wylie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:10 am

Hi Ed,

Sorry I didn't introduce myself earlier, I posted an intro on the Welcome forum. As far as wiggle room, no, I believe that they don't get any sharper than these two young men. Its Oklahoma Baptist University that the professor is at and the pastor is in the same town, Shawnee, OK. I just responded because I didn't like the remarks that were made about SEBTS, because I personally know people from the school and they're just as sharp as anyone from other schools. Further, I don't think liberals are more scholarly than conservatives.
John Wylie

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:23 am

Norman Jamison's last official day at the Recorder was last Friday. His last article was relative to the mess in the Gaston Association in the Charlotte metro area.

It was getting tons of comment on the blog--almost 100% reflecting disbelief that a group or churches could let this happen---and the way a small group of Pastors has virtually taken things over despite so many churches happy with how things have been going in recent years.

Yesterday the Chairman of trustees, in a rambling article announced the end of the blog section until things are set into place with a new editor. So much for free speech in NC!!!! :brick:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Return to SBC News and Trends