[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - God Ordained the Fundy Takeover of the SBC

God Ordained the Fundy Takeover of the SBC

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: God Ordained the Fundy Takeover of the SBC

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:17 pm

Big Daddy, I'm not sure that the decline in the mainline denominations has had as much to do with fundamentalists leaving (though I know that happens) as it has had to do with mainline denominations not doing the best job of engaged the changes in the culture. Frankly I think the same problem is catching up with evangelical denominations as well. Most congregations are more interested in keeping things the same than they are in reaching new people.

As to "creeping liberalism" Sandy, any time I hear a conservative southern Baptist talk about the need for the "resurgence" because the SBC was sliding "liberal" just makes me want to laugh. I remember one news reporting in the early days of the takeover who was from a non-SBC background say something like "From the outside it looks like one group of conservatives fighting with another group of conservatives over which of them is the most conservative."

And that is pretty much what it looks like from outside of the SBC. I've yet to see an moderate SBCer who was active during the takeover that I honestly believe was actually a "liberal" unless you define "liberal" as being anyone who isn't a fundamentalist.
Tim Bonney

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:17 pm

Big Daddy, I'm not sure that the decline in the mainline denominations has had as much to do with fundamentalists leaving (though I know that happens) as it has had to do with mainline denominations not doing the best job of engaged the changes in the culture. Frankly I think the same problem is catching up with evangelical denominations as well. Most congregations are more interested in keeping things the same than they are in reaching new people.

As to "creeping liberalism" Sandy, any time I hear a conservative southern Baptist talk about the need for the "resurgence" because the SBC was sliding "liberal" just makes me want to laugh. I remember one news reporting in the early days of the takeover who was from a non-SBC background say something like "From the outside it looks like one group of conservatives fighting with another group of conservatives over which of them is the most conservative."

And that is pretty much what it looks like from outside of the SBC. I've yet to see an moderate SBCer who was active during the takeover that I honestly believe was actually a "liberal" unless you define "liberal" as being anyone who isn't a fundamentalist.
Tim Bonney

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:59 pm

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Taking Flight with Irresistible Grace

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:15 am

BDidd:

I copy and pasted your fine Olson remarks including Calvin on the Holy Spirit to the topic at www.sbcvoices.com
It is causing a stir just five minutes in.
Some of you may want to follow it there.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Fundamentalists on Quarreling

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:38 am

http://sbcvoices.com/quarreling-amongst-us/

Some of you may want to monitor this conversation at The Voices. I have made a strong statement there, the 2nd in the stream that I predict will have 300 comments or more before it dissolves.

Stephen Fox

Is Wade Burleson Ditching Inerrancy?

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:51 am

Stephen Fox

Postby Chris » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:18 pm

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:33 pm

Ed Pettibone

Chris

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:35 pm

It's very simple to sign in there; just list a name, first name will do and sign an email which will not be posted.

Jump in with Aaron Weaver and Gene Scarborough and have fun.

Short answer is CB Scott worked with Paige Patterson at SEBTS after some kind of Billy Sunday upbringing and salvation. Thank God he is no longer a Thug, but should that turnaround automatically make him editor of Biblical Recorder?

While there check out the latest on God and the Vote:

http://sbcvoices.com/im-voting-tomorrow ... ment-25415

Maybe Jim Somerville will respond to the author's nonsense at his Blog

Stephen Fox

Re: Chris

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:14 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:22 pm

The condescension and arrogance of that statement is sad, Ed.
Dave Miller

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:52 pm

The article has an inaccuracy. It was 7 of 7 justices in Iowa who said that it was unconstitutional to bar gay people from marrying in Iowa. Two of the three justices who were ousted today were appointed by a Republican governor. So why did the justices vote how they voted? Because they are bound by oath to uphold the constitution of the state of Iowa and not be swayed by politics. Sadly it is politics that removed them for doing their job.

When seven out of seven justices of all party affiliations vote for something you can bet it isn't "activist judges." It was simply a matter of constitutional law. Civil rights issues aren't decided by majority vote.
Tim Bonney

Frank Page, David Miller and Jim Demint

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:25 pm

Stephen Fox

A Strong and Recent Dissent

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:26 pm

Stephen Fox

Wade Burleson and the Perennial Holy Grail

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:49 am

Will be interesting to see what they do with page 51 of Diarmand MacCulloch's magisterial Christianity

Joe and Wade

http://sbcvoices.com/the-need-for-inerrancy/

Stephen Fox

Brick Wall Doctrines

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:26 pm

http://sbcvoices.com/brick-walls-picket ... st-divide/

As a matter for reference this is an interesting post.

I find it ironic that most likely the leading expert on Bonhoeffer in Baptist Life today, Charles Marsh, would be appalled at the analogy of folks who broke from the SBC as being the Neville Chamberlain's of current Christendom.

But that does not the herd at SBC Voices.

Stephen Fox

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends