[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - God Ordained the Fundy Takeover of the SBC

God Ordained the Fundy Takeover of the SBC

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

God Ordained the Fundy Takeover of the SBC

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:08 am

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: God Ordained the Fundy Takeover of the SBC

Postby Haruo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:45 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tom Parker » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:13 pm

Why has Joe Blackmon kept this secret to himself for so long? I hope when I get Joe's age I will be as smart as he are.
Tom Parker

Postby David Flick » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:31 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:33 pm

Tim Bonney

Who's on First

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:41 am

Tim; I'm generally on your side in these matters, and I'm delighted I could light the way for Haruo's Golden Spur, be a facilitator as it were; but in all the Calvinist mess, I'm not sure progressive Baptists have much up on their understanding of Calvinism over the Fundies.
Marilynne Robinson is the template, and more recently Diarmand MacCulloch.
Calvinism may in the big picture be a Distraction to Baptist work, but I am not convinced most progressive Baptists have much of a grasp when compared to Robinson.

Stephen Fox

Postby Tom Parker » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:57 am

Stephen:

I am very suprised that Joe Blackmon has not wandered over hear and taken credit for his new interpretation of these scriptures, interpreting that when the Scriptures were being put together that God specifically had the CR in his mind in the verses that Joe Blackmon says is where God ordained the Fundy Takeover of the SBC.

To be very honest, I'm very confident that Joe Blackmon is wrong. But no one tell him because then he will get very upset. :)
Tom Parker

Postby Tom Parker » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:20 am

Stephen:

CB posted the following over at Voices--"”The CR is finished. Its over. Its history.”

Stephen do you agree with this? I do not think it will ever be over. :brick:
Tom Parker

Tom

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:46 am

I don't know if CB is right or not.

Maybe he can convince CB and my mutual friend at Musings from Maytown to throw up a blog.

I am gonna try to back away from it this weeekend, maybe later in September.
Joe Blackmon is a waste of time; If you leave him alone I think he is fairly harmless.

CB is wrong in the Big Picture.

Too many folks in Alabama, where he lives, if you ask them the right things, are not onhis side.

But the smarm of good appearances, the good of good manners masks their failure to deal with what has happenned in the SBC the last 40 years. At a certain point you have to weigh the chaos of the alternative, and in CB's world you may have to let him pass on to the next world with his own illusions rather than risk anarchy.

I don't know.

I am more relaxxed talking to his CR friend John Killian about it than I am talking to CB

Hope you take a look at Andrew Murphy at religion dispatches over the weekend.

Stephen Fox

Postby Tom Parker » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:29 am

Stephen:

I think I'm going to take a sabbatical from the likes of Joe Blackmon and CB for a while. They always get my spirit going in the wrong direction.
Tom Parker

Postby Haruo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:40 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tom Parker » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:06 pm

Haruo:

You said:"You mean they repaired the leak in the Big Tent and everybody can come home now?"

Wow! Would that not be something if all that left or were left returned just to let those of the mind set of CB know that the CR is not and never will be over.
Tom Parker

Re: Who's on First

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Tim Bonney

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:30 am

Personally I'm closer to bein a Calvinistic Arminian. Both can be right and wrong.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:44 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:25 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

More Proof in the SBC minds

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:37 am

http://gulfcoastpastor.blogspot.com/201 ... art-1.html

Recent review of the CR.

Flanders and Pressler are taking a life of their own in the Biologos and Mohler comments at ABPnews.

Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:34 pm

Tim Bonney

Re: More Proof in the SBC minds

Postby Sandy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:47 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:17 am

The only problem with citing the BFM25 and BFM63 is that very few churches ever adopted it or even paid much attention to either one until after 1979. I bet most Southern Baptists had never read either.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:43 am

Tim Bonney

Postby johnfariss » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:39 am

Timothy,

It's coming. When they passed the BF&M2K, they said it would never be used as a creed, and no one would ever have to agree to it, although churches were automonous to adopt it or not, and take whatever action they deeded fit; denominationally, it was a consensus document just like the '63 version. Oh, but wait. . . seminary professors and emloyees will have to sign off on it, but no one else. Oh, but wait. . . missionaries and employees of the International Mission Board will have to sign off on it, but no one else. Oh, but wait. . . employees of Lifeway will have to sign off on it, but no one else. Trust us: no one else.

Now, with the passage of the report of the Great Commission Resurgence Task Force, the use of the the word "inerrant" is enshrined in an official Southern Baptist document, and if memory serves correctly, somewhere in it there is reference to the BF&M2K, and a recommendation or suggestion or hint, whatever, that all churches (and I think conventions) adopt it. What I suspect will happen is that sympathetic pastors will make a motion at their state convention meetings over the next one to three years requiring all churches which relate to their state convention to adopt the 2K version (there was an abortive move toward this a few years ago, starting with the Missouri convention, but it spread no further). Then, after some number of state conventions adopt this (if they do--and doubtless the alternate, fundamentalist conventions in Texas and Virginia will, maybe others dominated by CR people and other fundamentalists, such as Kentucky and North Carolina), the SBC will adopt it, saying they are merely reflecting the wishes of their constituency as shown by x number of state conventions which have adopted it. And when that happens, the right to conscience or to be a minority voice within the SBC will have ended. Come to think of it, it might be just the shot in the arm that the CBF needs.

John
johnfariss

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:02 pm

Tim Bonney

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:07 pm

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver