[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Bellevue Baptist Tosses Out Gay Softball Team

Bellevue Baptist Tosses Out Gay Softball Team

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Bellevue Baptist Tosses Out Gay Softball Team

Postby Bruce Gourley » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:19 am

The Memphis Commercial Appeal this AM has a front page story about Adrian Rogers' Bellevue church .

The comments section includes 200+ plus and adding about one a minute ... and most are not complimentary of Bellevue.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Re: Bellevue Baptist Tosses Out Gay Softball Team

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:45 am

I guess God doesn't want "deviants" to play softball :brick:
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby fgantz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:20 pm

Is it still "Adrian Rogers' Bellevue"?
Frank Gantz
fgantz

Postby Haruo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:37 pm

It's quite unclear whether this was in any sense a "Gay Softball Team". There are references to "a player", "players", yet the only identified gay person appears to be the coach (unless it's the kind of league where coaches play).

What's a church doing with a softball league of its own, anyway?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:21 pm

Pretty sure that Bellevue has many more members than my hometown - Vidalia, Georgia - had residents. And we had multiple softball leagues in Vidalia! Be interested to know of Bellevue owns a softball/baseball complex. In south Georgia, there were a few small Southern Baptist churches (150-250) who built their own softball/baseball field for Wednesday nights.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Gary » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:25 pm

Gary

Postby Bruce Gourley » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Re: Bellevue Baptists Tosses Out Gay Softball Team

Postby ET » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:48 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:02 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby scottaerwin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:59 pm

Ed,

I just have a simple question. Do you support just their right to do it, or do you support the decision?

Scott
Scott, God is not calling you to HAVE a 900 lb. gorilla, God is calling you to BE a 900 lb. gorilla -- discerning friend
scottaerwin

Postby Neil Heath » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:30 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Gourley » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:16 pm

ET: I identified (in this thread) Bellevue as Rogers' church so that everyone (herein) would know what church I am talking about. That's all.

As to me being contacted, I periodically get contacted by reporters who find my profile online or were referred to me by someone else. This was one of those "out of the blue" calls.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:36 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:32 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:21 am

Bellevue does have some softball fields in its complex. Whether all games are played on the church's fields, I don't know. They do, however, have a complex visible from I-40.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:43 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby scottaerwin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:51 am

Scott, God is not calling you to HAVE a 900 lb. gorilla, God is calling you to BE a 900 lb. gorilla -- discerning friend
scottaerwin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:13 am

Strange analogy indeed.

The lesbian coach is not out having sex on the softball field....

Interesting that Ed dubs those with different beliefs than his on this subject "sinners" yet he has spent a good bit of time, money and energy over the years participating in Baptist organizations comprised of "sinners," some with different views than his own. Gay folks in those organizations as well. So, you'll work with "sinners" in that context yet are supportive or a softball league prohibiting the inclusion of gays and lesbians. A bit inconsistent.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby ET » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:46 am

ET

Postby ET » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:08 pm

Last edited by ET on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ET

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:48 pm

Tim Bonney: " Ed, it is my experience over the years on BaptistLife.com that you are always one of the first to jump on anything related to the issue of homosexuality and to encourage or support the exclusion of gay persons on many different levels."

Ed: :) :) :) :) You have made the first half of this assertion before, but I do not believe you can support it. In this thread I made the 11th post, and of the 10 ahead of mine, 8 where by other individuals,including yourself. Nor was i the first to defend Bellevue's action. And tim on what different levels have I encouraged or supported the exclusion of Gays.

Tim B.: And "I am sure you won't agree with me, but you appear to treat homosexuality differently."

ED: Different than what?

And Scott says "Do you mean they discriminate against drunkenness only on their property, or other places as well? Same with other sins. If this is the case, if a homosexual person holds to all those rules while at Bellvue would you support their inclusion. This is a strange analogy.

Ed: I will never understand why otherwise intelligent people insist on reading more into a statement that what it says.
The thread is about a softball league sponsored by a church that seems to have adequate facilities to host it. My comments where in that context alone.

And fellows this thread is not/ should not be about me. You know my position you know Bellevue's position yo may think tose positions are wrong headed but you chose to attack the messenger rather than the message
Ed Pettibone

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:32 pm

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Neil Heath » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Should Lot's wife be forgiven?

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:16 pm

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/news.php?viewStory=16241

We don't know if she played on the Sodom Softball team ornot; we just know she was exalted, she halted,and she was salted.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby scottaerwin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:44 pm

scottaerwin

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends