[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Burleson gets threatened...

Burleson gets threatened...

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Burleson gets threatened...

Postby jthomas899 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:14 pm

Perhaps, as an example of how not to act. I tend to go overboard from time to time, but reading Tim reminds me of how not to act. Keep on here, let him go. He will remind us of the road we do not want to travel.
jthomas899

Postby trich » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:24 pm

I agree, but I hope William let's Tim Rogers keep posting here. This is very educational to watch a guy defend the indefensible, and do so in an ad hominem manner...and a pastor, no less.

Check out Wade's blog on Mike Warnke. He links to the Cornerstone article that exposed the lies of Mike Warnke...the similarities are chilling. Makes me wonder how guys like Tim Rogers don't see that instead of defending and attacking, they should be encouraging Ergun Caner to admit his mistakes and apologize and repent. As Wade said earlier, with friends like Tim, Ergun doesn't need any enemies.
trich

Postby William Thornton » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:21 am

Several people have suggested banning TimR2. I don't think we are there. Tim harm has been inflicted on himself in this series. The Christian thing to do would be for him to apologize for the slander of WB and the cheap shot at Rankin.

I do admit that my being called a "moderate" is pretty serious but, since the truth is an absolute defense for libel, I have to admit that he is right. I am a moderate in eating and some other things. :wink:

On the whole business, I can only presume that Tim's behavior, wrong though it is, is caused by his feeling a need to defend Caner. One can only feel sorry for him in that because it seems to be an unwinnable matter.

Tim, I posted two examples of unchristian statements that you made and then later denied. While your arguments have been sufficiently lame that I don't blame you for wanting to just move on and ingore your own words, how about addressing these?
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:31 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby TimR2 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:50 am

William, I had this well thought out response that I was going to give but after reading David Flick's threatening comment, I will just respond this way.

IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE THAT I POINTED OUT WADE BURLESON EXPOSED HIS CHILDREN TO PUBLIC RIDICULE ALONG WITH HIMSELF BY MAKING AN ANONYMOUS PRIVATE EMAIL PUBLIC, THEN GAVE MY PERSONAL OPINION BASED ON THE CHARGES HE PLACED IN THE PUBLIC LIGHT THEN ALL I HAVE TO SAY TO YOU AND DAVID FLICK WITH HIS GOLDEN SPUR BAN ME!! NEITHER YOU NOR DAVID FLICK HAVE THE BACKBONE NOR THE INTESTINAL FORTITUDE TO DO IT!! THAT IS WHAT MAKES YOU BOTH A MODERATE.
Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can’t, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it.- Robert Frost
TimR2

Postby Chris » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:57 am

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby William Thornton » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:04 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:12 am

Note to all my wonderful Christian BaptistLife friends, mods, libs, cons, and fundies alike: How about all of God's chillins here going back to the original discussion of anonymous threats and the like? Send me a PM if you like on banning or whatever.

Tim has one solid point, one that I haven't disputed through all the discussion: WB raised the issues by posting the anonymous email. It's fair to discuss whether this was wise or not. It's fair to ask if the reason for that was the Caner business. It's fair (though probably more appropriate to put it in another topic) to analyze Caner's situation. It's not fair, nor appropriate to say a lot of the other stuff.

I assume we are all on the same side in being followers of Jesus Christ even though we still fall short of the glory of God.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:38 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:05 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby jeremy_shoulta » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:26 am

jeremy_shoulta

Postby David Flick » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:31 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Gary » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:21 am

Gary

Postby Haruo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:37 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:15 am

Tom Rich,

I see you are calling for Ergun Caner's resignation on your blog. What's your connection to Liberty? Any?
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby ET » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby trich » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:30 pm

Big Daddy Weave - I would use your name, but you seem to blog anonymously. :)

Do I need a connection to express my opinion?

I've been a Southern Baptist for 24 years, and have given money to SBC churches that have given money to Liberty...and what they do with regard to Ergun Caner reflects on all of us Southern Baptists.

Is that sufficient?

And I'm not the only one out there calling for his resignation...
trich

Postby William Thornton » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:36 pm

I am locking this topic.

Ergun Caner's stuff can be discussed in another topic here (you will have to start one) or in the Baptist Faith & Practice Forum where there is a topic, "Ergun Caner exposed as a liar and a fraud" or something like that.

Unless there is something new on Burleson and the email threat, I think it is time to lock it. If there is something new, PM me and I will consider reopening it. I had asked TimR2 to address two of his statements that I thought to be especially offensive. I have not heard from him but would unlock the thing if he desires to answer. Anyone can PM me if necessary.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends