[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - McKissic to SBC: Repent of Racism, Part 2

McKissic to SBC: Repent of Racism, Part 2

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

McKissic to SBC: Repent of Racism, Part 2

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:51 pm

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Re: McKissic to SBC: Repent of Racism, Part 2

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:19 pm

Reading the blog is an exercise in facing reality. We all have racist issues that are still with us. If we want the world to believe, then Baptists have to start acting like Christians in the area of race. I did not hear a victim mentality but more of a prophetic challenge to all Baptists.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:11 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby johnfariss » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:55 am

I commented on Dr. McKissic's blog, so I will not repeat my comments here. But I do have a question, especially for any SBTC folks: what does the statement from "Evangelist" Davis have to do with evangelism? Granted there is a reference to wanting President Obama to be saved (with the judgment that he presently is not, despite his claim to the contrary), but that seems to be secondary to a political statement. What was the rest of his sermon like?

John Fariss
johnfariss

Postby TimR2 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:29 am

Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can’t, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it.- Robert Frost
TimR2

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:41 am

William,

What do you think it's like to be a black pastor in the SBC? I bet its an experience that no white pastor can really understand. It's easy for us white folks to say that race shouldn't matter or doesn't matter. However, that's certainly not the experience of African-Americans such as McKissic who lives in a world where he is constantly reminded that he is the Other.

A quota and intentional diversity are not the same. What McKissic desires in terms of racial diversity is really not different than what people like Les Puryear desire in terms of small church representation.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Sandy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:45 am

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:53 am

Yeah, the point is not that the SBC should have racial quotas, but that it should not need them.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:34 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:54 pm

How many predominantly white SBC churches have called black pastors?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby rfuss » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Last edited by rfuss on Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say rejoice.
rfuss

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:22 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:07 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:12 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:11 pm

The only predominately white SBC churches that I know of that has called a black senior pastor are Seventh Baptist Church in Baltimore and Colonial Baptist Church in Randallstown (suburban Baltimore) MD.
Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Return to SBC News and Trends