[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Speaking of the Good Old Days: The SBC in 1960

Speaking of the Good Old Days: The SBC in 1960

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Speaking of the Good Old Days: The SBC in 1960

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:16 am

It seems that few within Southern Baptist life today, and perhaps no outside observers of Southern Baptist life today, would argue that the SBC is now in its glory years. But what was the SBC like in 1960, when the Convention was perched atop its greatest statistical triumphs? .
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Re: Speaking of the Good Old Days: The SBC in 1960

Postby JaneFordA » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:24 am

I thought this was pretty interesting:

CARLYLE MARNEY, 44, fiery minister of the Charlotte (N.C.) Myers Park Baptist Church, practices open Communion and has fought segregation for years. He tells businessmen that "the profit motive is ethically bankrupt." A staunch believer in church-state separation, he wants religious teaching banned from all schools, nevertheless dubs religious opposition to Kennedy "prejudice," and slaps Baptist extremists as "Holy Roller Catholics who are creating an emotional authoritarianism which is far more rigid than Roman Catholicism."
(\~~/)
(= '.' =)
JaneFordA

Postby georgefrink » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:24 pm

georgefrink

Stricklin, Marney, WO Carver and Dissent

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:26 pm

http://books.google.com/books?id=eflZJx ... ll&f=false

Bruce: Love to see your exegesis of pages 80 and 81 in link above by Stricklin. Stricklin seems to contradict himself on the role of Dissenters like Marney. At first said they failed to approach incivility that was needed to change things, then said that incivility led to the takeover of the SBC which some dissenters did not resist.

What do you make of these two pages, and how do you think the so called Moderate Movement in the SBC coulda dealt better with Carver's folks who would never understand. Could it have done better by them? What Should Gary Fenton do with this passage, or folks now in mostly CBF congregations who still send money to Richard Land through Cooperative Program.
And will you work with Johnny Pierce to have your response published in Baps Today or have forum with Bdid, Bill Leonard,Shurden and such on the question I raise here in re Marney and Carver????
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Stricklin, Marney, WO Carver and Dissent

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:07 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby JaneFordA » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:48 am

(\~~/)
(= '.' =)
JaneFordA

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:33 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:04 pm

Mark

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:08 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:27 pm

To Bruce and Mark: Thanks for telling the story about Kathleen Mallory. Sent me on a quest to learn more and discovered this . Very interesting...
. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:13 pm

Mark

Furman's New Prez and Dissent discussion

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:39 pm

Bruce:

Thanks for your thoughts, an honor to have a fairly exhaustive answer to my question.

I am behind a couple days, and on first glance at your exegesis, even a little more confused than I was with the text. But your explanation is interesting to say the least, and I do appreciate it.

In the meantime, Furmn has a new President; looks to be a grand fellow.
He named a lot of my friends in his acceptance speech, including LD Johnson.
there for a moment I thought he was gonna mention my outstanding career in intramurals in the early 70's :lol:

http://www2.furman.edu/about/about/newp ... marks.aspx

He is an Episcopalian with a blended family, outstanding career to date, and a friend of religious Liberty and the First Amendment.

Stephen Fox

Paige's Home Ec Christmas

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Wade Burleson has done the expose over at his blog with pictures

Stephen Fox

Furman as Bellwether

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu May 05, 2011 3:55 pm

Doubt you woulda seen this Furman dance in 1960; An Indicator of what, not sure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fycPL8iv7w

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon May 09, 2011 5:07 pm

I view the time 50's-late 60's as the heyday of he HMB, I lived in Atlanta. My father was the first Diector of Juvenile Rehabilitaion as the Chaplain to the Fulton County Juvenile Court. It was an area of hidden needs due to the confidentiality issues of Juvenile Crime. It was totally real and a ministry was needed! The ultimate goal was to pair church families with troubled families in a mentoring relationship.

It was accomplished by the partnering of the Atlanta Baptist Association / GBC / HMB. That was in the days of trust and cutting edge ministry among many denominations. Since 1979 I have seen a significant withdrawal from social issues and controversy in the interest of building innoffensive / entertaining /mega curches.

In simple terms, I see it as a ressurection of the Pharisees among us. It saddens and troubles me we have lost so much in the quest for popularity!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Return to SBC News and Trends