[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - 'No comments' sez SBC Today blog

'No comments' sez SBC Today blog

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

'No comments' sez SBC Today blog

Postby William Thornton » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:28 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: 'No comments' sez SBC Today blog

Postby William Thornton » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:19 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:10 am

And if they do not allow comments, why do they need to block Burleson's IP addresses? Trying to keep him from even reading??
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:31 pm

Last edited by Jonathan on Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby William Thornton » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:23 pm

Well, I took the time, to view Wes Kinney's video explanation of 'no comments' and heard him say the following (allowing for Wm's paraphrase):

1. We're all pastors and we don't have time to fool with your comments
2. We value conversations and have benefited from the same over the past year
3. Henceforth, we will point you to conversations elsewhere

Makes perfect sense to me: "We value conversations, but not in our comment stream. We value conversations but not with Wade Burleson and his ilk. We value conversations but don't really have time for such on our site." Yeah. Quite clear.

I admit that there are a handful of people who need to get a life outside of blogdom where they are ubiquitous in exhibiting their brilliance in comment streams but I think SBC Today just blew off a few toes with this. The explanation is worse than the act.

I am fairly up to date with this computer but found it highly inconvenient to take time to download Kinney's video. He could have typed it in sixty seconds...but, I know, he's a busy pastor and I am presumably an unbusy pastor. :roll:
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:33 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:23 pm

I just swapped email with Wes Kinney who added a bit of detail about what I describe above, the handful of folks who seem ubiquitous in their commenting and I have some sympathy for him if they feel the need to moderate all of that stuff. He also said that there is no IP blocking at SBC Today although there was for a few days. I don't think that I am making public anything that he wants kept private. At any rate, he made more sense in the email than on the video. Still, it's tough to speak of online conversations when you deny comments.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Gary » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:37 am

Gary

Postby William Thornton » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:48 am

I'm guessing that things will change on SBC Today. I can see the guys getting fed up with taking time for the handful of oddball commenters, but still...
William Thornton
Site Admin

Return to SBC News and Trends