[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Church Discipline

Church Discipline

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Church Discipline

Postby Tom Butler » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:55 pm

Over on the FBC Jacksonville thread, it was mentioned that a proposed by-law change would set up a discipline committee.

Question, does your congregation practice church discipline? What triggers it?

In my own church, formal church discipline disappeared in the 1940s. We're trying to bring it back, and there seems to be a trend toward a return to it.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and experiences.
Tom Butler

Re: Church Discipline

Postby Joshua Villines » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:59 pm

Most of my work has been in urban, progressive congregations. I definitely don't see a trend towards church discipline in those settings.
"Saying that CBF churches are more progessive than SBC ones because they support the ordination of women is like noting that one flat-earth society is more progressive than the other because it admits to the existence of gravity."
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:15 pm

The key issue of all discipline is its goal. If it is an effort to restore someone estranged from his or her Christian roots and from the community, then it may have a place that is biblical. If it is merely to assert the authority of the pastor or a small leadership core in order to keep the majority in line, then I see it as outside the biblical parameters for such discipline. Most of what I have read in church minutes was petty and punitive.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:03 am

I haven't read the details of the FBCJax discipline committee but I'm speculating that in their case it is mostly about controlling and eliminating the critics of church leadership. Can't prove that, just a conjecture.

The calvinists are promoting their version of discipline. I've never been satisfied with how the lines are drawn. What is 'petty' to one may be major to another church or pastor.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Steve Wilcox » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:19 am

Steve Wilcox

Postby Steve Wilcox » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:22 am

Steve Wilcox

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:10 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Steve Wilcox » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:31 am

Yeah, you are correct we should just ignore it all.
Steve Wilcox

Postby William Thornton » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:12 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:02 pm

Gluttony, anyone? (Just to name a less charged, though no less prevalent, iniquity.)

Haruo
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tom Butler » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:52 pm

I have read the minutes of my church's business meetings going all the way back to 1902 (the first 10 years of minutes are missing). Church discipline (in the form of withdrawing fellowship) was practiced fairly regularly. It is obvious that it was redemptive in nature, since often those disfellowshipped appeared again as members. I wonder what happened over the years, because after the 1940s, I don't find but one instance of church discipline being practiced in our church.

It seems that our church is not alone. The practice of church discipline seems to have waned, even disappeared from many churches. Why are we reluctant to do so these days?

Was it practiced perfectly? Not from our modern perspective. In the late 1920s, our church withdrew fellowship from a member for gambling. Seems he had invested in the stock market. Given the big crash of 1929, the church might have been right.
Tom Butler

Postby Tom Butler » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am

The business meeting minutes of my church are a gold mine. Our church clerk wrote detailed narratives, so we get a good picture of the Baptist culture of the early part of the 20th century, and how church discipline was practiced.

In one meeting, a brother rose and told the congregation that he and another brother were at odds, and would the congregation hear each side and help them reconcile. So they did, right then and there, and the two members reconciled that very night.

When I went to that church in 1963 as minister of music, I met an old deacon and his wife, two of the most delightful and faithful saints you'd ever want to know. Both were in their 80s.

Reading those minutes, I read that in 1932, a member rose at a business meeting and accused Brother Edgar of dancing. Brother Edgar, being present, was asked to respond to the accusation. He stood up, said yes, he had danced, with his own wife, and he wasn't sorry. Whereupon the church voted to disfellowship him. His wife also admitted that she had danced with her husband, but she was sorry, whereupon the church voted to forgive her.

The minutes do not show that Brother Edgar and his wife were eventually restored to fellowship, but obviously they were, and he was a deacon 30 years later.

Isn't this stuff rich? As I said, they're a gold mine.
Tom Butler

Postby Haruo » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:16 am

Yes, it is rich. I have read many of our church's minutes from the same general period, and we too practiced a fair amount of "withdrawing the hand of fellowship" in the early years. (Fremont Baptist was founded in 1892, which it sounds like makes it contemporary with your church.)

But where in the Scriptures, pray tell, did your church find the notion that for a man to dance with his wife, or she with him, was something to disfellowship over?

Haruo

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:36 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby debi » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:56 am

I have a question.

Does anyone have a constructive, positive example of the Matthew 18 principle applied? IE two members are at odds and cannot reconcile, the one takes 2 witnesses and sets up a meeting with the other and they still don't reconcile...the first one then stands up at a business meeting and tells his brother that he has offended him...anyone ever see this work out well?

We just had this (a version of this) happen in our church and it isn't going very well. I am just curious as to how it may have played out elsewhere.
debi

Postby Jonathan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:13 pm

"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby Bill » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:06 am

Bill

Postby Jonathan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:18 am

"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby William Thornton » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:35 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby jerryl » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:30 pm

I grew up in an area where all the rural Baptist churches 'disciplined' members up into the 1930's. Like Tom Butler said, the practice died out in the 40's. I had a few conversations in the 80's with some of the folks who let this practice die out. One of the main reasons their generation let this practice die out was they didn't see 'church discipline' used as a redemptive force, but instead as a tool to enforce power hierarchies within the church and community, and as way to get retribution for a something that didn't really involve the church at all.

They had stories from their youth and young adulthood of people being churched, officially for drinking, dancing, card playing, gambling, or working on Sunday, that really weren't pursued because of actual sins, but because of a deal where someone felt as if they were taken, a fence that wasn't mended and somebody's cattle got in a corn field that wasn't theirs, or somebody bought a car or something else that was 'just too good' for them. In some cases, 'church discipline' became a tool of feuds between different extended-families or even different branches of the same family.

The minutes of the church business meeting might tell the official reason for someone being 'churched' but according to the people I talked with, there was almost always an 'understory' that really explained the 'church discipline'.

Some of the senior men who told these stories thought that their generation stopped using 'church discipline' because they saw the hypocrisy in it, and found it distasteful. But one older friend says that farm-to-market roads killed off church discipline; it became too easy to get to another church after your old church kicked you out.

jerryl
jerryl

Postby Norm » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:31 pm

Norm

Postby Haruo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:00 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:26 pm

Jonathan

Postby Haruo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:39 pm

Nevertheless Jonathan, there are indeed different body types and metabolisms. ten people of the same height who eat the same diet and engage in the same amount of exercise (and are under the same amount of every other environmental condition you can measure) for their entire lives will not all weigh the same amount at any given age. And occasionally there will be cases that deviate markedly from the mean.

Still, I think in Bill's case he needs to overcome his notion of starvation. I may have a similar need.

Handedness can be overcome, too; just ask Ed P. But should it be? I know what appear to be morally lazy GLBT folks, and I know what appear to be morally well-disciplined, hard-working GLBT folks, and I have seen some of the efforts some of the latter have put into being not what they are, and the church should be ashamed of putting such burdens on people. IMHO.

Haruo

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Steve Wilcox » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:52 pm

Some of you are making good points about church disciple being applied consistently and over time. I agree with you that if a church, in a time of conflict, which has not been applying consistent needed discipline, all of the sudden starts, then it probably could be for the wrong reason. The implied reason being to control or quiet others could come into play.

I have not read the proposed by-law changes, much less have a copy of them.

As for the past use of church discipline, I have never seen FBC Jax publically use church discipline. I must point out that I am not an FBC Jax deacon, so I cannot write about whether or not the deacons have involved themselves in any conflicts in the past. I would assume they have but I really do not know.

I would like to point out something and that is that when we have a problem with someone it is best to go to them and attempt to get it resolved. If someone has a problem with the way you are doing something please try to help them understand why it is done that way. Telling a disagreeing party to simpy leave the church if they don't like it does not work.

If you do not like the way someone is doing some please go to them, do not lower yourself to using a blog about your church business.
Finally, I need to remove myself from these discussions regarding FBC Jax, my family and I have decided to move on to find another church.
Last edited by Steve Wilcox on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Wilcox

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends