[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Questions for SBC President Frank Page

Questions for SBC President Frank Page

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Questions for SBC President Frank Page

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:09 pm

Last edited by Mark on Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Uh ...

Postby John Sneed » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:15 pm

John Sneed

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:31 pm

Mark

Postby ALin » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:28 pm

I love to tell the story.
ALin

Re: Questions for SBC President Frank Page

Postby David Flick » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:23 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:20 am

Mark, the other Dr. Page is Paige Patterson, not Page Patterson. :wink:
Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:51 am

Last edited by William Thornton on Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby bobfrgsn » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:37 am

Bob Ferguson

my blogspot: http://bobferguson.blogspot.com/
Free and Faithful Baptist are welcome to comment ...
bobfrgsn

Location: Mandeville, Louisiana on the northshore of beautiful Lake Ponchatrain

Postby pjerwin » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:07 am

Scott Erwin,
Small Soul
pjerwin

Postby Billy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:31 am

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are... I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Ronald Reagan
Billy

Postby Bruce Gourley » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:39 am

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Billy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:57 am

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are... I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Ronald Reagan
Billy

Postby Hal Eaton » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:00 am

To pjerwin and Billy: IMO, in my opinion my opinion is different from your opinion, IMO.

To Billy: Biblical inerrancy is a denounced, or ignored, or strange, or even unknown term to at least 99.9% of the world's population. But hang on to it; it may be the only credit you can employ in your own circumstance.

Admittedly, it does provide job security, pulpit dogmatism, a self-actualized superiority amongst your peers, and solutions for all of life's known and unknown absurdities -- creation, cosmology, the future, etc.

Famous urban legend of a sort: Scientists at an un-named (but famous)university finally put together a massive computer which contained all the knowledge of the world. They then asked it, "Is there a God?" The computer displayed the answer: "NOW there is!"

Further details: The scientists then entered a second question: "Why?" The 'puter self-destructed.
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -- Thomas Paine
Hal Eaton

Postby Bruce Gourley » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:16 am

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:22 am

I clearly indicated that each of the schools named had severed legal ties with their respective state conventions, a reference to their establishment of a self-perpetuating board of trustees. I'm also aware that most of them still wish to retain a Baptist identity.

As to "moving on", I'm happy to do that, and have done so. I was merely responding to this past week's comments of Frank Page. Just as we cannot forget the civil rights era, we cannot forget how many people were mistreated in the name of "inerrancy", a man-made theory of how the Bible was inspired.
Mark

Postby Haruo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:37 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:39 pm

Mark

Postby Sandy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:59 pm

Sandy

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:17 pm

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Bruce Gourley » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:39 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Couple broad comments

Postby fox » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:40 pm

INFORMED GADFLY

fox

Mark ... About the church

Postby John Sneed » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:41 pm

Mark,

Things are going really well here overall. It was kind of amusing .. I preached the first sunday morning I was here but that evening we had a 10 celebration of the church's existence, so there was a special singing group and I did not preach. This past Sunday we had an "On Missions Celebration" conference and visiting missionaries spoke in the morning and evening, so I did not preach. I spoke once in the first four services I attended.

But it has given us time to unpack and arrange the house. God has been good to meet our needs and I am looking forward to a fruitful ministry in a great church. Thanks for asking.

John
John Sneed

How can 2 walk together?

Postby John Sneed » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:44 pm

I want to make a point I made elsewhere. There are significant differences between the SBC and moderate/liberal Baptists in other groups. These include differing views of God, of Christ, of salvation, and of the church. I personally find it hard to think we can compromise and be within the same group.

From all I have read, I praise the Lord for the resurgence. It seems it was badly needed.

And while I personally hold the 1689 Confession of Faith as my own, I have no grief with the 2000 Baptist Faith and Message.

John
John Sneed

Re: How can 2 walk together?

Postby Sandy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:07 pm

Sandy

Re: How can 2 walk together?

Postby Norm » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:55 pm

John Sneed: ... I personally find it hard to think we can compromise and be within the same group.

You personally asked for prayer from this group concerning your church move, which it did gladly, but you continue to find it personally difficult to accord this group a meaningful place at the table with you. Interesting that those here who welcomed sharing your burden are viewed as a burden to you. God help you, John.
Norm

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends