[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Trustee Jerry Corbaley Confesses (sort of. . .)

Trustee Jerry Corbaley Confesses (sort of. . .)

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Postby Wade Burleson » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:34 pm

(1). Ed: Are you saying that until you started getting E-mails about this incident with references to BaptistLife.com you had no other feed back from any one in CBF about your action ?

(2). Ed: Are you saying that That although you usualykeep every thing it its appropriate file you did not do so with the 95 theses? That is what your statement seems like to me but it is less than clear.

(3). Ed: Respectfully Wade, I would suggest that you where attempting to lock the barn door after the horses had be put out to pasture.
BGCO like every other state convention was already being fragmentized in response to the right wing take over of the SBC. Many of us who where involved with CBF stayed with the SBC for a number of years before we left My wife and I did not leave until 1998 ( at that time I had been a southern Baptist as long as you are old), and saw friends, colleagues and mentors in CBF being systematically marginalized by SBC leadership. Even then, we did not plan our departure. We moved to a new city (Cincinnati) and visited several SBC churches and heard people making comments about CBF that demonstrated that we would not be welcome. Then we attended a church close to home, at first I thought it was SBC the pastor was a graduate of SBTS and although they had new generic hymn books in the sanctuary there where several well worn Broadman Hymnals in the Sunday school rooms. Soon I had a one on one visit with the pastor and discovered that the church was affiliated with the ABC-USA. And in fact was the remnant of the oldest ABC-Church in Cincinnati having moved to the suburbs about 8 years before we discovered it. For several months we attended faith fully but I resisted joining be cause I did not want to leave the SBC. Eventually I woke up to the fact that the SBC for most practical purposes had left me. And that was even before my wife was called to Preach. Or perhaps it was that move that freed her to hear the call. We now live in the Adirondacks where she is pasor of a two church ABC parish.

If you stay around this board you will see me say, not infrequently, there are tons of good people, including many pastors still in the SBC, but I am not sure why. Some folk are impressed with the size but although it is the largest non Catholic denomination in the US. It does not represent the majority of Baptist in this country.

It is my studied opinion that you lay the fragmenting of the SBC at the wrong feet. It seem that your own experiance in recent history is a hint to that.

Ed,

(1). Nobody from CBF ever called me about the 95 Theses --- ever. The first time I heard from anyone was when I read the official history of the CBF in Oklahoma and then received the emails referencing this chat room and then read David Flick's comments about it.

(2). I think I may have a copy somewhere, but I have not looked for it. This was a time before I had experience with files on computers and Word Documents.

(3). I don't know that I would disagree with you on this point.

I'm sorry for posting on Tom's post, but I don't know how to work this site to post a new thread
The world is too dangerous to live in - not because of the people who do evil but because of the people who sit and let it happen.

Albert Einstein
Wade Burleson

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:53 pm

Ed: Wade, thanks for your promt reply. I hope you will stay around so that we may have further diacussion.

If you should wish to start a new thread just click on the New topic button at the top or bottom of the page.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:25 pm

Welcome to BaptistLife.Com, Wade! Over the past six or seven months you have become a rather frequent topic of conversation around here, you know, so I am glad to see you've poked your head in. :wink:

I'm not so sure about having another Okie around, however ... I've lost count of how many of you guys are on board now, but I feel the scales tipping toward the Sooner State. :lol:

Seriously, I do look forward to your participation in the forums, as your time and inclination allows. The hornet's nest you've stirred up in SBC life just might be good for Southern Baptists, Sooner or later. :)
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby T. D. Webb » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:18 am

T. D. Webb

"The first to plead his case seems right, until another comes and examines him." (Proverbs 18:17)
T. D. Webb

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:54 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Wade Burleson » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:09 am

The world is too dangerous to live in - not because of the people who do evil but because of the people who sit and let it happen.

Albert Einstein
Wade Burleson

Postby T. D. Webb » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:39 am

T. D. Webb

"The first to plead his case seems right, until another comes and examines him." (Proverbs 18:17)
T. D. Webb

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:10 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:04 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby T. D. Webb » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:53 pm

T. D. Webb

T. D. Webb

Postby David Flick » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:55 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby T. D. Webb » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:20 am

T. D. Webb

T. D. Webb

Postby David Flick » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:26 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby T. D. Webb » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:38 am

T. D. Webb

T. D. Webb

Postby David Flick » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:58 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:21 am

Joseph Patrick

Postby Wade Burleson » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:26 am

Albert Einstein
Wade Burleson

Postby T. D. Webb » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:26 am

Any of those days are good for me, as well. Pick a couple of dates, David, and we'll go with the one that best fits our schedules.

In His Grace and Peace,
T. D. Webb

T. D. Webb

Postby David Flick » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:49 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby T. D. Webb » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:53 pm

T. D. Webb

T. D. Webb

Postby David Flick » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:24 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Wade Burleson » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:07 am

Albert Einstein
Wade Burleson

Postby T. D. Webb » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:30 am

T. D. Webb

T. D. Webb

Postby David Flick » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:25 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:38 pm

Michael
"Is this heaven?"
"No, it's Iowa."
"Iowa? I could have sworn this was heaven."
Michael

PreviousNext