Congrats to Frank Page (aka Morris Chapman/Jim Henry part 2)

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Congrats to Frank Page (aka Morris Chapman/Jim Henry part 2)

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:37 pm

Just like in 1990 (Morris Chapman's first promise of a "broadened tent") and 1994 (Jim Henry's election, the last time I attended an SBC annual meeting), many well-meaning, wishful thinkers - along with those in denial - will now delude themselves into thinking that it's a new day for the SBC, and that there will now be a broader tent. I predict nothing will change. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Patterson and Pressler aren't behind every bit of this.

Hope I'm not becoming cynical.
:angel:
Mark

Re: Congrats to Frank Page (aka Morris Chapman/Jim Henry par

Postby T. D. Webb » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:41 pm

Mark wrote:I predict nothing will change. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Patterson and Pressler aren't behind every bit of this.

Mark, what would give anyone the idea that you were being cynical? :roll:

In His Grace and Peace,
T. D. Webb

"The first to plead his case seems right, until another comes and examines him." (Proverbs 18:17)
T. D. Webb

Postby Bruce Gourley » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:18 pm

Mark wrote:Just like in 1990 (Morris Chapman's first promise of a "broadened tent") and 1994 (Jim Henry's election, the last time I attended an SBC annual meeting), many well-meaning, wishful thinkers - along with those in denial - will now delude themselves into thinking that it's a new day for the SBC, and that there will now be a broader tent. I predict nothing will change. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Patterson and Pressler aren't behind every bit of this.

Good observation; Chapman and Henry did not ultimately change the increasingly fundamentalist trajectory of the SBC. And thus far, for all the blogging of the "dissidents," there is no indication that the (still) increasingly fundamentalist trajectory will be derailed.
Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby pjerwin » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:54 pm

You guys got the one you were pulling for and your still not happy. What gives?
Scott Erwin,
Small Soul
pjerwin

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:21 pm

pjerwin wrote:You guys got the one you were pulling for and your still not happy. What gives?

Who said anything about being unhappy? :o
Now, as to having a bit of skepticism...

Many of us drove to Orlando in 1994, (on the heels of Russell Dilday being brutually fired, maligned, and slandered) and voted for Jim Henry - an overall good and decent man - as SBC President, hopeful that some things might be different. But in the long run, it meant virtually nothing - except perhaps prolonging the denial for many, and a nice trip for our extended family.

I'll never forget the old saintly deacon in my church, who joyfully said afterwards: "Thank the Lord, the pendulum has begun to swing back..." It never did.
Mark

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:07 pm

At least you guys gave it an hour or so before pronouncing it as futile.

Who knows? Page would not have run, much less be elected, w/out burleson's incessant blogging complaints about the imb.

I guarrantee you that the mega-pastors will start to position themselves a bit more positively with respect to the cooperative program.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:18 am

Mark wrote:Just like in 1990 (Morris Chapman's first promise of a "broadened tent") and 1994 (Jim Henry's election, the last time I attended an SBC annual meeting), many well-meaning, wishful thinkers - along with those in denial - will now delude themselves into thinking that it's a new day for the SBC, and that there will now be a broader tent. I predict nothing will change. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Patterson and Pressler aren't behind every bit of this.

No, Mark, you're not becoming cynical. You're calling it like it is. Nothing will change. Neither Burleson nor all the King's bloggers can displace the P&P power structure. They're deluding themselves if they believe they can affect drastic changes. All the controversial stuff will be referred back to some committee or agency for study. Do you think, even after "studying" the various issues for a year, that those in control will change anything? I don't...
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:53 am

David Flick wrote: Nothing will change. Neither Burleson nor all the King's bloggers can displace the P&P power structure. They're deluding themselves if they believe they can affect drastic changes. All the controversial stuff will be referred back to some committee or agency for study. Do you think, even after "studying" the various issues for a year, that those in control will change anything? I don't...

For a while, they may be less blatant about naming Paige Patterson's relatives to SBC committees, that type thing. Other than that, well...
Mark

Return to SBC News and Trends