SBC meeting news you're not gonna get anywhere else...

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

SBC meeting news you're not gonna get anywhere else...

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:20 pm

...not even from abp's Rob Marus:

There is obviously, and sadly for we people watchers, a dearth of toupees at the SBC these days. What happened to all those brethren who would wear theirs proudly? Must have had a collective tonsorial epiphany.

BobF and I are soul brothers on music, I mean, we sang "Fairest Lord Jesus" about as traditional as you can get. Started off low and slow acapella, woncerfully worshipful. Then the drums came in...then the acoustic guitar and electric guitar...then the magenta adorned praise and entertainment team...then the keyboard...then the brass. We paused for an interlude of entertainment before finishing acapella with worship. I don't get it.

11,346 folks registered. At least 8,372 of these are overweight. Pass the fried chicken. Best weight loss activity seems to be standing and waiting for a health screening provided by Guidestone...and then doing nothing about it. Chuck Kelley, NOBTS prez, is the most rotund of the bigwigs...but then Spurgeon was rather stout hisself.

These 11,346 are mostly ordinary folks: mommas with strollers, parents with kids in tow getting in a semi-vacation with part of expenses paid etc. I see very few strutters... maybe I don't have "A" list access and our paths just don't cross.

Something you'll never see at a CBF meeting (and I'll be in atl next week to check it out): stilt walking, fire breathing, juggler..."juggling for Jesus"?..."On stilts for the Savior"?..."Fire Swallower for the Savior"? This was a vendor...not official SBC.

NOBTS had a drama team, old timey southern stuff. So they had some Southern Belles in hoop skirts...REAL southern belles in period dress...talking in FAKE southern accents. Why not get some gal who ALREADY has the accent? Sounded like Meryl Streep faking a southern accent.

I finally laid eyes on David Flick's pal, AJ-Anthony Jordan. Didn't see either horns or a pitchfork.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:20 pm

Judging from the picture of the convention hall taken from behind the podium, it looks like the ushers did a good job of making people sit together this time around. They apparently managed to hide the banks of empty seats in the upper levels. Of course, going to a smaller arena also helps.

Can't tell much about the toupees, William, you can't see many people in the picture close up. Telling the "young" conservatives from the "Pressler-Pattersonites" isn't easy, either."Young" must be a relative term there, generally applying to the 50-70 year old crowd, while "old" must mean over 70. It looks like the median age of the messengers is about 70. Of course. it could just be bad photography--it was, after all, a Baptist Press shot.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:28 pm

Sandy wrote:Judging from the picture of the convention hall taken from behind the podium, it looks like the ushers did a good job of making people sit together this time around. They apparently managed to hide the banks of empty seats in the upper levels. Of course, going to a smaller arena also helps.

Can't tell much about the toupees, William, you can't see many people in the picture close up. Telling the "young" conservatives from the "Pressler-Pattersonites" isn't easy, either."Young" must be a relative term there, generally applying to the 50-70 year old crowd, while "old" must mean over 70. It looks like the median age of the messengers is about 70. Of course. it could just be bad photography--it was, after all, a Baptist Press shot.

Ah, my pessimistic friend, you needed to be there...younger crowd than I've seen in a while. 12k or so registered...we missed you
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: SBC meeting news you're not gonna get anywhere else...

Postby David Flick » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:33 am

William wrote:I finally laid eyes on David Flick's pal, AJ-Anthony Jordan. Didn't see either horns or a pitchfork.

:lol: What'd you think about him? The reason you didn't see the horns is because they're hidden under that big mop of curly red hair... :wink:

. . . . . . . . . . .Image
David Flick
Site Admin

Re: SBC meeting news you're not gonna get anywhere else...

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:56 am

David Flick wrote:
William wrote:I finally laid eyes on David Flick's pal, AJ-Anthony Jordan. Didn't see either horns or a pitchfork.

:lol: What'd you think about him? The reason you didn't see the horns is because they're hidden under that big mop of curly red hair... :wink:

I cannot believe that a state executive, THE state executive who chaired the CP study committee for three years of study would sit still while the Exc Committee clumsily moved to amend it only a few weeks prior to the SBC, removing the 10% suggestion for elected leaders, in a transparent attempt to bolster Ronnie Floyd's candidacy.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:18 pm

There's no Cafe Dumonde in Greensboro. William, have you caught sight of any of the Pressler-Pattersonite kingmakers in any of the local eating establishments licking their wounds and planning how they're going to grab power back next June?
Sandy
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:03 pm

Sandy wrote:There's no Cafe Dumonde in Greensboro. William, have you caught sight of any of the Pressler-Pattersonite kingmakers in any of the local eating establishments licking their wounds and planning how they're going to grab power back next June?

Nope. Not a one. I hear they all blog to each other now...new day, new way.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:22 pm

David Flick wrote:The reason you didn't see the horns is because they're hidden under that big mop of curly red hair... :wink:

. . . . . . . . . . .ImageImage

So, evangelist Keith Fordham has a new dummy? Separated at birth, perhaps? :D :D :D
Mark

Postby David Flick » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:49 pm

Mark wrote:
David Flick wrote:The reason you didn't see the horns is because they're hidden under that big mop of curly red hair... :wink:

. . . . . . . . . . .ImageImage

So, evangelist Keith Fordham has a new dummy? Separated at birth, perhaps? :D :D :D

Amazing, Mark!!! These guys are look-alikes to the hilt... :lol:

David Flick
Site Admin

Return to SBC News and Trends