Floyd takes some shots from the Christian Index

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Floyd takes some shots from the Christian Index

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:22 am

Current issue of this, the GA state paper, is apparently not online yet, compares and contrasts Ronnie Floyd and Frank Page. I'll just list some words and phrases used about each and you see if you can figure out which the Index editor supports for SBC prez.

on Ronnie Floyd:
mega-church pastor...personified, independent missions, token amount...through the Cooperative Program, poster child for that scenario, .27 percent, barely one quarter of one percent, disturbs many...

on Frank Page:
far more generous, do not penalize the denomination, given as much as 15 percent to the Cooperative Program, cooperative support, one of Page's loves is to help declining churches, steady increase in missions involvement, strong missions-minded church...

Accompanying charts seal the deal...Page is their man.

BTW, Sutton gave 0.0 percent undesignated...guess that makes Floyd infinitely more cooperative than him, huh? More later...
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby pjerwin » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:58 pm

Infinitely; no just 0.27%! :lol: I suppose that would be "infinitesimally" small, eh?
Scott Erwin,
Small Soul
pjerwin

Postby Sandy » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:29 pm

Has anyone scanned the major Baptist state papers to see how many "endorsements" each of the candidates has picked up? The Standard really didn't strongly come out for anyone, though it did lean a bit toward Page in pointing out the CP giving issue. I'm sure the SBTC paper, with the Ledbetters at the helm, are solidly in the Floyd camp, but it has a tiny circulation.

The membership of this board is likely well read with regard to this issue in Baptist state papers. What are your editors saying?
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Jerry_B » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:38 am

The SBTC Texan ran an a story that was so gushing of Floyd, it should have read.."This ad paid for by Ronnie Floyd for President". What a joke that paper is! The funny thing is that I didn't ever subscribe to it and the name of the church they send it to...doesn't even exist, not that would keep them from counting it a faithful member of the SBTC mind you!
Jerry_B

Postby William Thornton » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:59 am

Jerry_B wrote:The SBTC Texan ran an a story that was so gushing of Floyd, it should have read.."This ad paid for by Ronnie Floyd for President". What a joke that paper is! The funny thing is that I didn't ever subscribe to it and the name of the church they send it to...doesn't even exist, not that would keep them from counting it a faithful member of the SBTC mind you!

I see the Texan online here but don't see that article. If you can locate it online I'd like to read it.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:33 pm

Are you referring to the story in this edition, where they have an article on all three candidates? The story about Frank Page was pretty dull, with no style at all and basically just cites some facts sprinkled with a few quotes. I don't know whether that results from Tammi Ledbetter's general ineptness as a writer or whether it is deliberately dull to characterize Page and endorse Floyd. The article about Floyd makes it pretty clear (not a surprise) who the SBTC leaders want to see in the SBC presidency.

The SBTC might be an interesting group to watch in all of this. They give a higher percentage of their annual budget to the SBC than any other state convention, yet, collectively their churches have the lowest average percentage of CP giving of any other state convention. Low CP giving would probably not be a problem for most of them.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Jerry_B » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:48 pm

No, the article I read came out right after Floyd was announced as someone that was going to run, you would have to check the archives I guess. It was a couple of weeks ago.
Jerry_B

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:00 pm

Word and Way, which still has the same editor it did when it was affiliated with the Missouri Baptist Convention, and is now related to the more moderate Baptist General Convention of Missouri is clearly behind Page, didn't even mention Sutton, and used the term "pittance" when describing the CP contribution of Floyd's church. This editor didn't miss the irony of the Pressler-Pattersonites pushing a candidate who doesn't support the Cooperative Program in the same year that the convention agenda contains a segment of the program designed to boost support for the Cooperative Program.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:56 pm

Sandy wrote:Word and Way, which still has the same editor it did when it was affiliated with the Missouri Baptist Convention, and is now related to the more moderate Baptist General Convention of Missouri is clearly behind Page, didn't even mention Sutton, and used the term "pittance" when describing the CP contribution of Floyd's church. This editor didn't miss the irony of the Pressler-Pattersonites pushing a candidate who doesn't support the Cooperative Program in the same year that the convention agenda contains a segment of the program designed to boost support for the Cooperative Program.

Doesn't look like anyone has missed that, it is his huge ball-and-chain.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Return to SBC News and Trends