Is an SBC seminary president influencing successor choice?

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Is an SBC seminary president influencing successor choice?

Postby Sandy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:55 am

Sandy
Sandy

Re: Is an SBC seminary president influencing successor choic

Postby Haruo » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:05 pm

I wonder if the school's three or four biggest individual/family donors have made it known n, clearly but extremely secretly, that a non-white president would cause them to cut off their gifts at the spigot.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Is an SBC seminary president influencing successor choic

Postby Sandy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:35 am

Haruo wrote:I wonder if the school's three or four biggest individual/family donors have made it known n, clearly but extremely secretly, that a non-white president would cause them to cut off their gifts at the spigot.

Using heavy hitting donors to get your way is more the M.O. of Dr. Kelley's brother-in-law, Paige Patterson. Big money does talk in the SBC and it gets its way. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to find that two or three of the biggest donors to the seminary are African American. The school has an excellent relationship with several of the large African American churches in New Orleans and they've worked very closely together for years.

J.D. Greear is the new sheriff in town in the SBC presidency who seems committed to putting a stop to the influence peddling and good ole boy politics that are at the very core of the way the SBC is operated. He'll have one more turn at selecting fresh faces without powerful connections to the one committee he appoints. But the trustee boards, and consequently the search committees for the executive positions that are open, are still made up of the same power grabbers who have rotated from board to board and committee to committee for decades. They have not failed yet to make sure that the people who have been selected are being chosen from among those who have risen to prominence within their own ranks, individuals who have served on several trustee boards and demonstrated their denominational loyalty and pedigree. So far that, and being a white male, have characterized every choice that has been made. I do not expect that will change any time soon.
Sandy
Sandy

Return to SBC News and Trends