Southwest Baptist University fires Theology prof.

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Southwest Baptist University fires Theology prof.

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:51 am

"churches, associations, and general bodies have adopted confessions of faith as a witness to the world, and as instruments of doctrinal accountability." Preamble to BFM2K.

IMHO, when you remove Christ as the criterion by which scripture is to be interpreted, then you slip into the error of Seventh Day Adventists to regard all scripture as of equal value, thus making "You shall not boil a kid in its mother's milk," equal in value to John 3:16.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:24 am

Dave Roberts wrote:"churches, associations, and general bodies have adopted confessions of faith as a witness to the world, and as instruments of doctrinal accountability." Preamble to BFM2K.

IMHO, when you remove Christ as the criterion by which scripture is to be interpreted, then you slip into the error of Seventh Day Adventists to regard all scripture as of equal value, thus making "You shall not boil a kid in its mother's milk," equal in value to John 3:16.

Let's put that whole statement in its context.

Preamble to the Baptist Faith and Message 2000 wrote: Baptists cherish and defend religious liberty, and deny the right of any secular or religious authority to impose a confession of faith upon a church or body of churches. We honor the principles of soul competency and the priesthood of believers, affirming together both our liberty in Christ and our accountability to each other under the Word of God.

Baptist churches, associations, and general bodies have adopted confessions of faith as a witness to the world, and as instruments of doctrinal accountability. We are not embarrassed to state before the world that these are doctrines we hold precious and as essential to the Baptist tradition of faith and practice.

The statement acknowledges that Baptists have previously adopted confessions of faith as instruments of doctrinal accountability, though it does not state that this specific confession is to be used that way. In fact, the first paragraph would preclude that interpretation. The "Jesus criterion" is reworded, but is still an integral part of the statement on scripture. It has not been "removed" and the way the statement on scripture is written, does not lead to an interpretation that all scripture is of "equal value" or can be interpreted without context.

There are plenty of cases where the BFM 2000 has been used as an instrument of doctrinal accountability since the conservatives regained control of the SBC. But the SBC leadership prior to the resurgence also used it that way when it was convenient for them to do so.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:51 pm

My point, Sandy, is not how it is used. My point is that this is the first use, to my knowledge, of the phrase "instrument of doctrinal accountability" in Baptist confessions of faith. Someone may know of something I don't, but for the ones I have read, I never recall that phrase. Also, that is precisely the language used in some of the creedal denominations as the definition of a creed. I'm sorry I don't have time today to research the references.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:19 pm

Here's a blog post by one of the Redford professors, Dr. Zack Manis. Quite a different view presented there.

http://agenuinefaith.blogspot.com/2018/ ... llege.html

This looks like what I thought it might be originally. A professor who was popular with a particular segment of students violated university policy, was warned, continued to violate the policy because he was justified in doing so by his opinion that his theological view is correct and the other professors are wrong, and got fired. So now there's a "rally the troops" movement to try to get him his job back and the default methodology for getting things done in the SBC is to cry "liberal" and point fingers. Wow, how spiritual and godly is that?
Sandy
Sandy

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends