Page 1 of 1

Pattersons Leaving the SBTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:07 pm
by Sandy
https://baptist-blogger.com/2018/12/10/ ... eave-sbtc/

Big news. They're joining a church that is uniquely aligned with the, horror of horrors, liberal BGCT.

But that's not so much why I put this post here. Look at the pedigree of both pastors. Well connected, I'd say and both have served on too many trustee boards and committees. Where do they find time to pastor their church? There's a major problem with the SBC in a nutshell.

Re: Pattersons Leaving the SBTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:46 pm
by Jon Estes
Sandy wrote:https://baptist-blogger.com/2018/12/10/breaking-pattersons-leave-sbtc/

Big news. They're joining a church that is uniquely aligned with the, horror of horrors, liberal BGCT.

But that's not so much why I put this post here. Look at the pedigree of both pastors. Well connected, I'd say and both have served on too many trustee boards and committees. Where do they find time to pastor their church? There's a major problem with the SBC in a nutshell.


Not much news, Mark Howell is PP's son in law. Great guy.

Re: Pattersons Leaving the SBTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:49 pm
by Tim Bonney
Sandy wrote:https://baptist-blogger.com/2018/12/10/breaking-pattersons-leave-sbtc/

Big news. They're joining a church that is uniquely aligned with the, horror of horrors, liberal BGCT.

But that's not so much why I put this post here. Look at the pedigree of both pastors. Well connected, I'd say and both have served on too many trustee boards and committees. Where do they find time to pastor their church? There's a major problem with the SBC in a nutshell.


What ya'll around here call "liberal" makes me chuckle.

Re: Pattersons Leaving the SBTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:31 am
by Sandy
Tim Bonney wrote:
Sandy wrote:https://baptist-blogger.com/2018/12/10/breaking-pattersons-leave-sbtc/

Big news. They're joining a church that is uniquely aligned with the, horror of horrors, liberal BGCT.

But that's not so much why I put this post here. Look at the pedigree of both pastors. Well connected, I'd say and both have served on too many trustee boards and committees. Where do they find time to pastor their church? There's a major problem with the SBC in a nutshell.


What ya'll around here call "liberal" makes me chuckle.


That's a tongue-in-cheek comment from me. The BGCT isn't "liberal" in any sense of the word except that some of the kingmakers and string-pullers from the inner circle of the conservative resurgence leadership couldn't get elected to positions from which they could control the convention institutions. As a result, in that fine Christian tradition of name calling, finger pointing and accusing, Patterson publicly declared them liberal, and spouted some prophetic words about them that never came to pass (see Deuteronomy 18:20-22). From any perspective, the BGCT is soundly conservative. Clearly Patterson and his son-in-law pastor don't really give a rip unless they can use it for their own advantage.

Re: Pattersons Leaving the SBTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:31 pm
by Tim Bonney
Glad you weren't actually suggesting liberalism. :-) We are almost to the point that if you aren't part of the Alt-Right you are now a liberal.

Re: Pattersons Leaving the SBTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:10 am
by Jon Estes
Sandy wrote:Clearly Patterson and his son-in-law pastor don't really give a rip unless they can use it for their own advantage.


SO what do you know for real about Dr. Mark Harrell? Disparaging him is easy but what are the facts you have to make such a slur?

Re: Pattersons Leaving the SBTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:48 pm
by Sandy
Jon Estes wrote:
Sandy wrote:Clearly Patterson and his son-in-law pastor don't really give a rip unless they can use it for their own advantage.


SO what do you know for real about Dr. Mark Harrell? Disparaging him is easy but what are the facts you have to make such a slur?


What slur? Harrell is Patterson's son in law, and from the pedigree listed in the article, is typical as one of the well-connected who have served on boards and committees so long, the seats in the meeting rooms are contoured to the shape of their hips. He certainly didn't see the BGCT as the liberal scum that his father in law once proclaimed, and didn't share similar convictions enough to give up having his finger in several state convention pies. And now, Patterson's a member of a uniquely aligned BGCT congregation. Drawing conclusions about that doesn't take up a lot of time.

Re: Pattersons Leaving the SBTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:47 pm
by Rvaughn
Based on the Hunters Glen web site, looks like his last name is "Howell" rather than "Harrell."

Re: Pattersons Leaving the SBTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:48 am
by Jon Estes
Rvaughn wrote:Based on the Hunters Glen web site, looks like his last name is "Howell" rather than "Harrell."


That would be my typo.

Here is the note I left the Blogging Ledbetters

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:38 am
by Stephen Fox
You don't understand Paige unless you frame his life's work in Lee Atwater's infamous early 80s memo. If you fellows haven't done your homework and mastered Wuthnow's Rough Country by now you are wasting everybody's time with these dispatches. Atwater's memo is in the Wuthnow book. Patterson's ultimate legacy will be damaged by the insights of Ansley Quiros new book God With Us. Google the Intro online. Like Criswell, Paige was on the wrong side of History!!!!

Re: Pattersons Leaving the SBTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:50 pm
by Sandy
If you want to understand Paige Patterson, here's a good source from someone who was an insider's insider.

https://baptist-blogger.com/

I'd suggest regular visits. It is enlightening and factual.