Excommunication

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Excommunication

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:47 am

Fremont's disfellowshipings were all, as far as I know, voted upon by the congregation (or those attending the business meeting, anyhow).
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:18 pm

Tim Bonney wrote:
Sandy wrote:
My wife's family, originally from Arkansas, used the term "churched" to apply to an incident during which one of her aunts was removed from the church fellowship for behavior reasons. It was a temporary removal intended to make a point. She was charged with attending a "social event" at the home of a friend whose parents were not members of the church, and where there was dancing. My wife's uncle was "churched" for attending an event at the local Knights of Columbus hall where beer was known to be served. We were going through some things in a drawer of our hutch preparing to move this past June and my wife found a hand-written letter from him to the deacons informing them that he was glad to acknowledge their action and not to bother worrying about his reinstatement, since he would not be back.

OK, I think I know the answer for this, but who has the authority to "church" someone in most Baptist churches? My previous Baptist pastorates there would have to be a congregational vote to remove someone from membership like that. I'd think that would be highly contentious.

In the UMC it is very easy to join a Methodist church and fairly hard to remove a member.

This being a rural church in Arkansas a couple of generations back, it was the Deacons following a bylaw approved by the congregation. I'm sure there are still Baptist churches around that discipline members by "churching" them, and I'd guess that would be by congregational vote.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:00 pm

Sandy wrote:
This being a rural church in Arkansas a couple of generations back, it was the Deacons following a bylaw approved by the congregation. I'm sure there are still Baptist churches around that discipline members by "churching" them, and I'd guess that would be by congregational vote.

Yes, not something I'd want to deal with! Talk about the potential for a church fight. (Edit - meaning if it went to a congregational vote.)
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:56 pm

Tim Bonney wrote:OK, I think I know the answer for this, but who has the authority to "church" someone in most Baptist churches? My previous Baptist pastorates there would have to be a congregational vote to remove someone from membership like that. I'd think that would be highly contentious.
In most Baptist churches, the congregation. I think it is done so little today exactly because it is highly contentious (I don't know many churches around here that often practice "church discipline). In the old days, it not only required the congregation, but the unanimous vote of the congregation! The "Rules of Decorum" of the old Mt. Carmel church, organized in our county sometime before October 1857 read as follows: "10th. A majority present shall rule in all cases except in maters [sic] touching fellowship, when the voice of the church shall be unanimous." You might think it would be impossible to exclude someone under those terms, but most records I've examined locally show that back in those days (late 1800s-early 1900s) they did so regularly with very few hiccups. (Apparently the vote of the one under consideration for discipline did not count.)

In some old Georgia church records I found my 4g-grandfather brought charges against himself before his church for getting drunk. He made acknowledgements and was forgiven.
Rvaughn

Postby Joseph Patrick » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:35 pm

Rvaughn wrote:
Tim Bonney wrote:OK, I think I know the answer for this, but who has the authority to "church" someone in most Baptist churches? My previous Baptist pastorates there would have to be a congregational vote to remove someone from membership like that. I'd think that would be highly contentious.
In most Baptist churches, the congregation. I think it is done so little today exactly because it is highly contentious (I don't know many churches around here that often practice "church discipline). In the old days, it not only required the congregation, but the unanimous vote of the congregation! The "Rules of Decorum" of the old Mt. Carmel church, organized in our county sometime before October 1857 read as follows: "10th. A majority present shall rule in all cases except in maters [sic] touching fellowship, when the voice of the church shall be unanimous." You might think it would be impossible to exclude someone under those terms, but most records I've examined locally show that back in those days (late 1800s-early 1900s) they did so regularly with very few hiccups. (Apparently the vote of the one under consideration for discipline did not count.)

In some old Georgia church records I found my 4g-grandfather brought charges against himself before his church for getting drunk. He made acknowledgements and was forgiven.

From Gerry Milligan aka Joseph Patrick...Look at the 9 Marks churches, Discipline is very prominent in their churches.
Joseph Patrick

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends