[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - About a woman being SBC presdent

About a woman being SBC presdent

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Jon Meacham's friend from Chattanooga

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:59 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: About a woman being SBC presdent

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:27 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:24 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:39 am

Did anyone ever consider that Paul's command to the women in Corinth might have to do with the issue of the disruptions in worship that were taking place in Corinth? I don't know a way to be certain on this, but it makes sense in the context of the book. What do you think?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:53 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:07 am

Last edited by KeithE on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:35 am

I have never believed in inerrancy as defined by the Chicago Statement of 1978 (which is the only definition with which I have to work). I am convinced that we often misuse Paul's letters by taking something out of the context of being part of a two-way conversation, the other side of which we do not have, and trying to universalize that which may have been given a completely different meaning by the receiving church. It's like listening to one side of a phone call. Paul contextualized his responses based on the situation of the church, and we are often left to wonder what he meant. If I have to take my stand by what would appear a universal word for the church, "There is no longer Jew nor Greek, the is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ" (Galatians 3:28 NRSV).
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:59 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Rvaughn

Postby JE Pettibone » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:49 pm

ED: Being an RE guy, that is another reason I wouldnt be a Methodist. :)
JE Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:58 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:01 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:24 pm

I like the quatrilateral too Keith, all descriptors of religious authority have strengths and weaknesses. If I would place authority for Biblical interpretation in the hands of one person though, it would be Jesus. I thought the 1963 BFM making Jesus the criterion for interpretation of scripture was a good guide. Some Christians seem to act as if Paul trumps Jesus.

The whole inerrancy debate doesn’t carry much meaning for me any longer as it isn’t a part of the faith tradition i’m now in, though like you a took a lot of heat for that when I was a Southern Baptist years ago.

But any theory of Biblical authority has to take into account the falibility of human interpretation. That’s where inerrancy fails. Even if the Bible were perfect, none of us are perfect and so we can’t guarantee perfect interpretation. (And IMO only God is perfect.)

I like the doctrine of Biblical sufficiency. That is the Bible contains all things necessary for salvation. Not all things. Just all things necessary for salvation.

As to the President’s actions today. They were horrible and predictable.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:21 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:26 pm

I didn’t know you knew Laura! We ran into each other again on Facebook after many years. She did some supply preaching for me once when I was in Petersburg, Indiana. That’s such a long time ago! A different state, different denominations, etc.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:20 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:27 am

While nearly all Southern Baptists agree on no women pastors, there is great diversity about what women are permitted to do. We were not allowed to have my mother's funeral at the SBC church where she was an active member 52 years because I asked two women to read scripture at the service.
Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Postby JE Pettibone » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:00 am

JE Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:16 pm

The "establishment" has no authority to tell a church who it can call as a pastor. If you do a search, you'll find that somewhere between 30-40 currently affiliated SBC congregations have women pastors. There'd be a lot more than that if favorability to the idea were more widespread among the current church leadership. If a church really had the will to call a female pastor, I don't think wanting to "buck" the establishment or not would be a factor. And even as the SBC appears to be emerging from the grip of the conservative resurgence leadership, and there was a spate of discussion about whether or not a woman could be elected president of the SBC, I don't see a lot to move it toward women serving as pastors.

CBF has had a female exec for more than half a decade, and has moved quite a bit to the left on LGBT issues, but with essentially no restrictions from anywhere on calling women as pastors, I don't see that there's been a rapid, widespread expansion of CBF congregations ordaining women or calling them as pastors. A few, mostly their core, spend a lot of time handing out certificates, but it doesn't seem that a large segment of the churches are all that open to the idea, at least, not enough to prevent a long line of ordained women from forming, and mostly moving out of denominational circles.
Sandy

Postby JE Pettibone » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:55 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 pm

My impression is that most pastorally inclined (called?) Baptist women either stuff it or move on to UCC or UMC or another denomination open to the work of the Spirit in their lives. We have quite a few female pastors in Evergreen, but I'm not sure how reflective that is of overall ABC trends.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:03 pm

This obsession with calling women as pastors, especially in CBF circles and especially as lead-pastors or senior-pastors, approaches ludicrousness and is demeaning to women. The SBC is constantly ridiculed over this but more than half of all SBC individual members are women who seem to be okay with the current protocol. Folks vote with their feet but these women (certainly not slavishly) stick with the SBC. This is not likely to change. This is not a matter of intellect, spirituality or most anything else. On a nit-picky note and as a personal observation, men's voices are eminently better collectively than women's for preaching. Dress-code is another area for thought regarding both sexes. Perhaps as generations morph into next-generations, this might change. This is doubtful but a look at churches/denominations now making homosexuality perfectly normal is suggestive of change for better or worse, depending on one's outlook.
Jim

PreviousNext

Return to SBC News and Trends