Patterson Completely Out, Fired, at SWBTS

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Patterson Completely Out, Fired, at SWBTS

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:07 am

Yeah. Wealthy donors are upset. This was expected.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:11 pm

Rvaughn wrote:A 7-page letter letter from some Southwestern supporters to the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees:
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4568645-Southwestern-Letter.html

You are well aware of the legal problems associated with your failure to give timely Notice for the May 30th meeting, as required by your By-laws. You are also aware that you failed to give proper Notice regarding the drastic action you intended to address and thereafter take.

Please know that until the serious wrongs against Dr. and Mrs Patterson are righted, we will be unable to continue our financial support of the Seminary.

Pretty pathetic letter.

I believe the trustees provided all of the documentation necessary regarding the called meetings, and included that in both reports that were issued following the first and second events with Patterson. Clearly, this group of donors has much more of an interest in using their money as an instrument of power than they do in supporting students during their ministry training.

If the trustees play their cards right, and can see things in Texas for what they are, they have a chance to restore the school to at least some of what it once was before Patterson. The BGCT has established its own theological schools, and they appear to be healthy and well supported, but for the most part, they appeal to the CBF side of the convention, which is a relatively small group of churches. There is, within the BGCT, a large constituency of theological conservatives that could be coaxed back to Southwestern as a source of students, and for support, as long as they're given equal representation on the trustee board. There was a time when 25% of Southwestern's budget came directly from the BGCT, when I was a student there, and the scholarship they provided to each endorsed student from one of their churches paid half of the remaining tuition of $500 per semester once the SBC's contribution was calculated. Texans made up 40% of the student body of over 5,000 when I was there in the late 80's, now it's something like 12%. Frankly, by hiring Patterson, they cut themselves off from a significant constituency. My guess is that if they want to do some fence mending, that's the best and most immediate source of new students and new donors.
Last edited by Sandy on Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:30 pm

Rvaughn wrote:A 7-page letter letter from some Southwestern supporters to the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees:
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4568645-Southwestern-Letter.html

You are well aware of the legal problems associated with your failure to give timely Notice for the May 30th meeting, as required by your By-laws. You are also aware that you failed to give proper Notice regarding the drastic action you intended to address and thereafter take.

Please know that until the serious wrongs against Dr. and Mrs Patterson are righted, we will be unable to continue our financial support of the Seminary.

...neither Dr. Patterson nor his attorney knew in advance the possibility that such extreme action against him would take place.

Can't speak for his attorney, but perhaps Dr. Patterson ought to have foreseen this eventuality when he arranged to have potentially incriminating documents stolen from Southeastern? Just a thought. Not my bailiwick.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:13 pm

I was surprised to read the remarks made by Bart Barber at the convention, prior to the vote being taken regarding removing the trustees. Patterson's way of running Southwestern, and his way of doing just about everything he does in the SBC, has been to simply do as he pleases, ignore the rules, and get back at anyone who attempts to call him out or make him follow the rules. To hear one of his long standing sycophants actually admit that it was a problem and It was getting to be a drag was remarkable.

The reaction, at least on a couple of social media sites and blogsites, to the attempted blackmail by wealthy supporters of Southwestern, is also quite surprising. Whether it was the pre-resurgence moderates or the conservative resurgence, the provincial backwardness of the SBC was ingrained in a culture that allowed for the greatest degree of influence peddling, nepotism, favor granting and good-ole-boy favoritism. But it seems like some Southern Baptists see how bad that has made the denomination look, how un-Christlike it is, and they're tired of it. That would be progress.
Sandy

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends